5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine knock solved

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 08:50 PM

Engine knock solved

So as a few of you may remember, I have been dealing with a transient, high-RPM knock that occurred more specifically milliseconds prior to WOT upshifts with my 2014 motor. After a year of diagnostics, parts cannon trial and error, and without AFR logging or other telemetrics, I have definitively diagnosed this engine noise to be just that, a high-RPM lean condition. At my wits end about it, I recently purchased a container of VP Madditive Octanium, added it to the prescribed amount of in-tank fuel, and beat the **** out of the car knock-free till it needed filled up again.

Sadly, through my research, I have found that this is a very common issue with both 1st and 2nd generation VQ35's in just about every model that uses one, and is even stated within the 2008 350Z Owner's Manual (and probably others) that this issue is to be expected and that it is "normal operation", obviously indicating that the manufacturer is well aware of the issue and doesn't consider it a problem.

I'm a little upset about this as there really isn't anything I can do about it ("I" meaning, the common consumer, or without modification or tuning), and I don't want to have to run a fuel additive every time I fill up, not because of the cost, but because I'm not convinced there are no negative long-term effects of use despite the fact that it is the more engine-friendly, MMT-based type. The manganese oxide that coats the plugs doesn't sit well with me, and leads me to wonder what the hell else is being affected by it. I have found the safe, long-term use of octane boosters to be a very contentious, long-unresolved subject of debate and that's enough for me to know that I neither have the time nor desire to go down that rabbit hole.

The only other option without tuning is run high octane race fuel. I'll try a tank of 110 Sunoco from a local supplier and go from there. Maybe pump 93 for daily commuting and some to-be-determined ratio of 110 and pump gas when I want to beat it up?

Either way, I really just wish the manufacturer would correct this on there end with the ECU/IGN timing and it not be a problem in the first place. I can't imagine how on god's green earth this COULDN'T be resolved by some Jolt-drinking, Hot Pocket-eating millennial nerd in front of a computer with a few lines of code.

Last edited by User1; 08-22-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by User1
So as a few of you may remember, I have been dealing with a transient, high-RPM knock that occurred more specifically milliseconds prior to WOT upshifts with my 2014 motor. After a year of diagnostics, parts cannon trial and error, and without AFR logging or other telemetrics, I have definitively diagnosed this engine noise to be just that, a high-RPM lean condition. At my wits end about it, I recently purchased a container of VP Madditive Octanium, added it to the prescribed amount of in-tank fuel, and beat the **** out of the car knock-free till it needed filled up again.

Sadly, through my research, I have found that this is a very common issue with both 1st and 2nd generation VQ35's in just about every model that uses one, and is even stated within the 2008 350Z Owner's Manual (and probably others) that this issue is to be expected and that it is "normal operation", obviously indicating that the manufacturer is well aware of the issue and doesn't consider it a problem.

I'm a little upset about this as there really isn't anything I can do about it ("I" meaning, the common consumer, or without modification or tuning), and I don't want to have to run a fuel additive every time I fill up, not because of the cost, but because I'm not convinced there are no negative long-term effects of use despite the fact that it is the more engine-friendly, MMT-based type. The manganese oxide that coats the plugs doesn't sit well with me, and leads me to wonder what the hell else is being affected by it. I have found the safe, long-term use of octane boosters to be a very contentious, long-unresolved subject of debate and that's enough for me to know that I neither have the time nor desire to go down that rabbit hole.

The only other option without tuning is run high octane race fuel. I'll try a tank of 110 Sunoco from a local supplier and go from there. Maybe pump 93 for daily commuting and some to-be-determined ratio of 110 and pump gas when I want to beat it up?

Either way, I really just wish the manufacturer would correct this on there end with the ECU/IGN timing and it not be a problem in the first place. I can't imagine how on god's green earth this COULDN'T be resolved by some Jolt-drinking, Hot Pocket-eating millennial nerd in front of a computer with a few lines of code.

Who says one has to be a millennial nerd? What if I'm an old fart and can look into the ECU global variables and tweak the fuel maps a bit? Maybe set and save a couple .par files for you.....anyone have a spare laying around I can poke around with a wee bit?

Last edited by Captive8; 08-22-2020 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:38 PM

Sure do. I ended up with two extras incident to my parts cannon phase.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:49 AM

Nissan should offer a permanent fix for this, my wife's Maxima has that knock, we learned to live with it but It would be nice for it to be gone!

Last edited by MaximusN8; 08-23-2020 at 05:19 PM.