5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

intake thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2000, 03:32 PM

My pipe dream idea of the day.
Ideally we could minimize loss of power at the intake end by going filterless. As this is not really an option for anyone who plans on driving their car very long, I wonder how easy it would be to make a huge filter that would get you closer to this goal. For example, if you were to rig two cone style filters together with a y-shaped pipe, you would double the filter surface area & potentially half the filter resistance. Trying to apply some math to this situation, let’s say the maximum power increase by going filterless represents out limit. Has anyone dyno’d their max without any filter at all and compared it to the stock filter? ( How does that number compare to the CAI increase? Presumably the best number would be with a filterless CAI. ) Say the maximum increase in an ideal filterless situation is +14 hp (pulled that number out of my ***), and a cone gets you +6. Would then adding another cone double you air flow efficiency and get you half again as close to the ideal, which would be +10 hp? Likewise the same math (if it is correct) could be applied to a CAI for larger gains there. I’m thinking the ‘y’ cone deal might actually be feasible (meaning it would fit and not be too cost prohibitive). Does anyone know of anyone who has tried such a thing yet? or know if it's a crock of sheeaat and a wasted effort?
Old 11-14-2000, 03:39 PM
The missing moderator

No won't work... won't do a darn thing.

Think about it: if a 7" KN cone filter flows say 500CFMs.. and your engine only sucks in 400cfms... doubling the filter size won't matter. What important is to size it properly... http://www.knfilters.com/affacts.htm

Also, not having filter doesn't always make power... filters and intake tubes help reduce turbulance caused by not having either items... like the old saying "quality over quantity"...

-Shing

Originally posted by tb420
My pipe dream idea of the day.
Ideally we could minimize loss of power at the intake end by going filterless. As this is not really an option for anyone who plans on driving their car very long, I wonder how easy it would be to make a huge filter that would get you closer to this goal. For example, if you were to rig two cone style filters together with a y-shaped pipe, you would double the filter surface area & potentially half the filter resistance. Trying to apply some math to this situation, let’s say the maximum power increase by going filterless represents out limit. Has anyone dyno’d their max without any filter at all and compared it to the stock filter? ( How does that number compare to the CAI increase? Presumably the best number would be with a filterless CAI. ) Say the maximum increase in an ideal filterless situation is +14 hp (pulled that number out of my ***), and a cone gets you +6. Would then adding another cone double you air flow efficiency and get you half again as close to the ideal, which would be +10 hp? Likewise the same math (if it is correct) could be applied to a CAI for larger gains there. I’m thinking the ‘y’ cone deal might actually be feasible (meaning it would fit and not be too cost prohibitive). Does anyone know of anyone who has tried such a thing yet? or know if it's a crock of sheeaat and a wasted effort?