5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dropping trans, tips and tricks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 06:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dropping trans, tips and tricks!

So apparently the brand new nissan TOB i used when i did my motor swap is crap. I didnt get to do a video of the noise yet but it definitely sounds like a bearing noise. In any case, im going to need to drop my transmission to investigate and fix whatever the problem is. Reallllly not happy about this but obviously ignoring it is not an option lol.

Anyone have tips for dropping the trans while its in the car? Im assuming you just drain the gear oil, pop the axles, remove the shift cable, unbolt the starter and trans mount, and remove the bolts holding the trans to the motor? Is that more or less the correct order of operations? Im going to probably buy the $99 harbor freight transmission scissor jack they sell, seems like its be good enough to keep the transmission supported and move it laterally so the input shaft doesnt get messed up during removal and installation. Maybe not the best jack but for a hundred bucks i think itll do, sure will beat using a floorjack and trying to he-man the thing off the motor from under the car. I know thats doable but i dont think i could do it without destroying the input shaft.

Anyways, any tricks/tips on how to do this would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:10 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

You said cables, so you have a 6 speed? They really don't have any wiggle room. You need to go in at an angle. To get room I had to remove the shift levers and engine mounts (to angle engine) to get clearance. I use an engine hoist and floor jack. While not needed, I recommend a leveler to aid in alignment.

Granted I only have replaced one 6 speed clutch. Maybe it's easier than I made it. I've done countless 5 speed and 4 speed autos which can be removed without angling the engine.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JSutter
You said cables, so you have a 6 speed? They really don't have any wiggle room. You need to go in at an angle. To get room I had to remove the shift levers and engine mounts (to angle engine) to get clearance. I use an engine hoist and floor jack. While not needed, I recommend a leveler to aid in alignment.

Granted I only have replaced one 6 speed clutch. Maybe it's easier than I made it. I've done countless 5 speed and 4 speed autos which can be removed without angling the engine.
Yikes. Any trick to removing the shift levers? I remember messing around and trying to unbolt them when I did my swap but i could not for the life of me get them to budge from the transmission, I stopped because I was afraid they were connected somehow internally and I did not want to break something or have to split the transmission open. Do you think it would be doable without removing the levers? Also I dont have a leveler or an engine hoist anymore, the one I used was borrowed from a friend of a friend of a friend... basically not an option unless I buy one which at that point im better off just having a shop do it. I did figure it might be easy to drop the crossmember to tilt the motor, that part should be easy.

I never heard anyone say this was an easy job to do with everything still in the car, but is it really a total nightmare? So aggravating that I spent extra money to get an OEM nissan throw out bearing, only for it to apparently be a dud. Meanwhile the one that actually came with the clutch (made by the same people as the nissan one) probably would have worked just fine.. Sometimes you just cant win.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:08 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I don't think all of the levers came off. My memory is fuzzy, I don't have enough 6 speed experience to remember all the stuff the cables mount to. I unbolted something. If you could angle the engine (lower the trans side) enough then you would have more room. The shift levers hit on the control arm / pivot pins at the angle I had. I left the crossmember in IIRC.

Basically I did whatever I could to make room. It wasn't a nightmare but I had help, from someone far less experienced. Extra hands (or eyes) is always welcomed when lining up a transmission.

I wouldn't try without a hoist. I just don't feel the transmission jack alone will have enough adjustment.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Found this video on removal. Seems pretty straight forward. They remove the motor mounts as you suggested, but also jack the motor up via the oilpan to get even more of an aggressive angle.They didnt remove the shift lever though, but they did remove the bracket the cables rest on. Removing the trans does not seem all too difficult in the grand scheme of things, if i can pull a motor i can pull this stupid thing lol. As for reinstalling, i think the jack will do ok. When I installed it last time, I basically had to muscle the thing on while using assorted crap to wedge under it off the floor and angle it correctly (this was a little bit of a sht show lol). Granted, the motor was out of the car which made doing so way easier, but having a purpose built jack i think will make it more or less the same difficulty now that the motor is staying in the car. The jack I got has a ratchet strap to keep the transmission from moving off of it. You can also adjust the plate that the transmission rests on and tilt it up and down a bit - I think that feature is what is going to make this job possible for me to do. Best part is I can clean the jack up nice when im done and return it under warranty once everything is back together. All that being said I think i will recruit a friend for reinstallation just in case.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:52 PM

You're a 7th gen swap veteran. I'm gonna have to dock you a few points for even asking this question.