5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Difference in 03/04 blow by hoses??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:54 PM
Banned

Difference in 03/04 blow by hoses??

Please for the love of God can someone tell me what in the world the difference is between the 01-03 and the 04-up blow by hoses (that go from valve cover to valve cover?)
The 01-03 hose is listed as Nissan part number 11823-8J101 :

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...odel=&Filter=()

The 04-up is listed as Nissan part number 11823-8J10A :

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/part...odel=&Filter=()

But they look EXACTLY the same and go on EXACTLY the same engine with EXACTLY the same valve covers as far as I can tell.
I am asking because I noticed the one on my 03 is split, but I get WAY more hits (and cheaper prices) for the 11823-8J10A. If someone can absolutely confirm no difference then I will just order that one. Thanks

Last edited by chop_sooie; 05-20-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:07 PM

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't worry about it. It's the same engine. Order whichever. The one on my '14 engine looks pretty much the same as the one on my '03 engine. Hell, a piece of hose would work.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think 04+ had upgraded valve covers, maybe thats why they are different? Shape didnt change though, just better material/support to prevent cracking. As user1 said, a hose is a hose.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:40 PM
Banned

well this car just keeps getting more interesting- the left (front) bank valve cover is genuine Nissan but the right (rear) has obviously been replaced- has some sort of "V" shaped brand design on it and says made in China. Funny thing is the Nissan valve cover is the one that seems to be leaking fairly badly (I'm pretty sure this is what ruined the alternator.) The made in China one seems to be ok- think I should go ahead and replace it with a genuine Nissan one for any reason? Can get a good used one off ebay for about $30...
Old 05-21-2019, 10:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

This is a discussion board for cars that are like 2 decades old, not your personal help desk where you snap your fingers and everyone rushes to answer every question you have when its convenient for you. I was going to respond later today when I had a little more time to explain things more in-depth, but since youre being a ***** (and this seems to be a reoccurring pattern),for now on you get nothing. Figure it out yourself.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Slamrod
This is a discussion board for cars that are like 2 decades old, not your personal help desk where you snap your fingers and everyone rushes to answer every question you have when its convenient for you. I was going to respond later today when I had a little more time to explain things more in-depth, but since youre being a ***** (and this seems to be a reoccurring pattern),for now on you get nothing. Figure it out yourself.
Sorry man I was just surprised no one had responded yet, I posted it the wrong way. I 'm not sure what you mean about it being a recurring theme, the only person I had a problem with on here was childuvkorn since he continually tried to one-up everyone and make himself look better than anyone else. I suppose if you're buddies with him I can see how you might think I'm the problem even though I am certainly not trying to be.
I'd still appreciate some help if you are willing. Plus I have a couple other questions but I'll be patient and wait for responses- I just got my new oil pan in and it seems awfully shallow compared to my old one (which I already tossed so I can't do a direct comparison.) The new one if I put it on the floor and measure from the floor up to the lip it's only 2-1/16" high:

Plus it seems shollow enough to where the pickup tube hits the bottom of the pan when I test fit it. I am almost positive the original was deeper than that- can anyone please confirm and again I';ll be patient and wait, thx

Last edited by chop_sooie; 05-21-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:38 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Put a straight edge along the bottom of the upper oil pan and measure how far down the oil pickup hangs. Then put the straight edge on your new pan and measure the depth. What are your measurements?
Old 05-21-2019, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JSutter
Put a straight edge along the bottom of the upper oil pan and measure how far down the oil pickup hangs. Then put the straight edge on your new pan and measure the depth. What are your measurements?
OK- putting a straight edge across the metal lip of the upper oil pan section on the car and measuring down, the pickup tube appears hang down about 1-5/8" from that lip.
Then putting a straight edge across the top of the new oil pan and measuring the inner depth it appears to be 2" exactly.
So I suppose the pickup tube will not actually hit the bottom of the new pan but is 3/8 of an inch enough clearance beneath the pickup tube?
Old 05-21-2019, 07:38 PM

Your pan looks good to me. I don't have any measurements, but these are the best two pics I have of mine. You could do on-screen scale measurements with the second pic. Nevermind the ugly squeeze-out in the second picture. That was all redone. I can get underneath tomorrow and measure it really quick and give you a hard number. As far as blow-by tubes, flip a coin. It won't matter. What was your other question?

Old 05-21-2019, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by chop_sooie
So I suppose the pickup tube will not actually hit the bottom of the new pan but is 3/8 of an inch enough clearance beneath the pickup tube?
Constant oil flow means it needs to be constantly submerged. To me, the inverse would be a problem, but not nearer to the bottom of the pan.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:28 PM
Banned

Thanks- yes my new pan appears to be about the same depth as yours in your picture when I put it up against the upper section on the car.
Plus, I researched clearance from pickup tube to bottom of sump and from the info I found 3/8" actually seems about perfect, so I'll go with it.

As far as "another question" I discovered my right (rear) valve cover is aftermarket Chinese and was wondering if I should replace it with a genuine Nissan. But I've pretty much already decided to leave it as is-- the name of the game with this car was to see how cheap I could keep things. I did discover that all but two of my ignition coils were aftermarket, I know how junky those can be and I just don't want to deal with that hassle--especially the rear bank-- so I found a guy selling 5 genuine Nissan (Hanshin) coils out of his 03 that had been wrecked, they were all tested and working fine and he only wanted $50 for all 5 so I bought them.

So far I've spent right at $800 including the price of the car:

Car: $500
Tow: $85
Oil pan: $25
Alternator: $75
5 Hanshin ignition coils: $50
6 new Denso spark plugs, Fel-Pro valve cover gasket set, Fel-Pro upper intake gasket, and bottle of AT-205 all ordered from Rockauto: $60 (with shipping & tax)
Permatex Ultra-Gray: $10

Total: $805

If that gets it up and running with no major oil leaks or other issues I'll be quite pleased.

Last edited by chop_sooie; 05-21-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:34 PM

Sounds good. Yep your pan is fine. Leave the rocker cover. Touch as little as possible lest Murphy pay a visit with a litany of issues that undoubtedly never fails to cascade upon you after you fix something. A running max for under a grand, not bad.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry man I was just surprised no one had responded yet, I posted it the wrong way. I 'm not sure what you mean about it being a recurring theme, the only person I had a problem with on here was childuvkorn since he continually tried to one-up everyone and make himself look better than anyone else. I suppose if you're buddies with him I can see how you might think I'm the problem even though I am certainly not trying to be.
Fair enough, if thats what you say, then Ill take it at face value. My appologies. I have a huge pet peave with people that treat this forum as some sort of personal help desk and dont respect the fact that everyone here contributes for free, and its the combined effort of the people here that create this little niche community that is so invaluable. Some people are very actively involved, some people just poke in here and there, some people just participate because theyre bored, and some are a mix of all of the above. The take away is that everyone here is volunteering to share info without expecting anything in return. Yeah, theres plenty of dck waving contests, but overall i think this is a pretty amazing thing we got going on here, even if its an extremely obscure and niche community. I just get annoyed when some people ignore all of that and expect the forum to cater to their every whim. It would be nice to have on demand service that operates 24/7 to answer every question you could ever have but thats just not how it works at all lol. I thought that was what was going on here but again, if you say it isnt, then i appologize and believe you.

ANYWAYS... looks like you found yourself a good deal on a car. As far as valve covers, get whatevers cheap, they are all pretty much the same. Dont worry about oem vs aftermarket on that. Just make sure if you are replacing one, you have a new gasket and follow the proper procedure regarding rtv on the sharp angles.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Slamrod

ANYWAYS... looks like you found yourself a good deal on a car. As far as valve covers, get whatevers cheap, they are all pretty much the same. Dont worry about oem vs aftermarket on that. Just make sure if you are replacing one, you have a new gasket and follow the proper procedure regarding rtv on the sharp angles.
I have the new gaskets on the way although TBH when I pulled these covers off the gaskets looked almost brand new. And the ironic thing is it was the OEM Nissan valve cover (the front one) that seems to be leaking, I wonder if they didn't follow proper torquing procedures on it and it's warped now, or just simply that they didn't use the sealant on the seat corners. Regarding that, would there be any problem with just using the same Permatex Ultra-Gray on those corners that I am using for the oil pan?
Old 05-22-2019, 12:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the new gaskets on the way although TBH when I pulled these covers off the gaskets looked almost brand new. And the ironic thing is it was the OEM Nissan valve cover (the front one) that seems to be leaking, I wonder if they didn't follow proper torquing procedures on it and it's warped now, or just simply that they didn't use the sealant on the seat corners. Regarding that, would there be any problem with just using the same Permatex Ultra-Gray on those corners that I am using for the oil pan?
If the gaskets feel nice and rubbery then i suppose you could reuse them. You want to make sure the mating surface is clean and shiny, and all the old rtv is removed. I used a razor blade (NOT a scraper - you dont want to marr the surface) to get the big stuff off. Gasoline works as a decent solvent to soften the remaining rtv, theres probably better stuff but a gas soaked rag worked acceptably for me, still needed to use the razor though. Make sure you dont let any bits of rtv fall into the motor, use a clean rag or something to cover with. Gray RTV should be fine, its what they used in the factory, just make sure youre only applying at the steep/sharp angles on the front/passenger side of the motor, and that you give it a day to cure fully.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:45 PM

FYI Nissan changes the part numbers on all different runs and models even if they are the exact same. My dealers parts guy despise's this. Tons of parts are interchangeable between different models from grommets to brakes but they don't let you know which.

What I'm saying is that it's quite possible and likely there are three exact same part.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:32 PM
Banned

OK major strides toward the finish line today...
Got the valve covers back on (with the new gaskets installed):

Also gobbed some RTV into those sharp corners on the passenger side of each cover seat as discussed earlier.

Then with my neighbor's assistance got the new alternator in:

Finally, I installed the new oil pan (with Permatex RTV sealant all the way around):

Couple of things:
1. Having an assistant to hold the alternator in position while the other person installs that front bracket bolt makes installation LEAGUES easier.
2. Keeping those valve cover gaskets from falling out while trying to finagle the covers down into position is pretty much impossible. A few small dabs of superglue took care of that problem.
3. That Permatex Ultra Gray is some kind of thick stuff, that is by far the hardest I have ever had to squeeze to get something out of a tube.

Still waiting on my new (used but original Nissan) ignition coils to arrive, then I will button everything up and cross my fingers!

Last edited by chop_sooie; 05-22-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:24 PM

Piece of cake!

ETA for coils?
Old 05-22-2019, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by User1
Piece of cake!

ETA for coils?
Ugh- tracking info says next TUESDAY. I hope I am pleasantly surprised with an early delivery as I was with all the other stuff I ordered.
EDIT: I just realized part of that is due to Memorial Day holiday. Would be great if they somehow make it here by Sat- they are only going from Florida to Arkansas...

Last edited by chop_sooie; 05-22-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:58 PM
Banned

Honestly if that's the case I think I'll just put my coils back in so I can at least test the car out. I have two Hanshins already so I'd put those in the back and then I guess just pick another random one from what came out of the car and use it for the 3rd back coil. Then it would be way easier to swap the fronts when the new ones come in.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:00 PM

Yeah fill it up with oil and let it run. Check for leaks. If you have one, you may be able to correct it before your coils arrive.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by User1
Yeah fill it up with oil and let it run. Check for leaks. If you have one, you may be able to correct it before your coils arrive.
That's the AT-205's job! I'm pouring that stuff in anyway.