5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

01 maxima engine light, could it be something serious

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 10:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

01 maxima engine light, could it be something serious

Its still the same maxima which has 190k that i mentioned in another thread and im seriously interested but the only problem is the engine light is on and the seller doesnt know why. i would just go down and see it but its not around the corner and i would need to get a ride down as well. he recently replaced the wheel bearing himself but doesnt have a scanner or isnt bothered enough to go to a parts store to see what the code is, which doesnt really make sense to me. he did say it runs, drives and idles good. the history looks good also with only 2 previous owners but i know that doesnt mean too much

so i guess my main question is there any common engine light code that could be serious

Old 08-23-2019, 11:33 AM

I would not waste time and money on something like this. CEL codes are not definitive and do not necessarily predict what it will cost to repair.

Last edited by DougR; 08-23-2019 at 11:36 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:07 PM

I agree with the post above. They're willing to change the wheel bearing themselves but won't drive it to the auto parts store for a free code reading, or buy a $20 scan tool from Wal-Mart.

It's just weird for the person selling it to put in the work for the wheel bearing and not even be curious about what the codes might be, to the point that they don't even care if that's the deal breaker. Or maybe they do know what the codes are, but you won't want it if they tell you.

How much $ are they asking??
Old 08-23-2019, 06:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NC00DEK
It's just weird for the person selling it to put in the work for the wheel bearing and not even be curious about what the codes might be, to the point that they don't even care if that's the deal breaker. Or maybe they do know what the codes are, but you won't want it if they tell you.

How much $ are they asking??
right and he got the car in a trade for some work he did for a client, youd think he would check the codes before hand.

but yeah he'll take 700 for it
Old 08-23-2019, 08:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unless you know what the codes are, dont buy. It could be something very simple and easy/cheap to fix, like an O2 sensor. It could also be something very complicated to diagnose and repair, like an EVAP code or electrical gremlins like a random misfire code. The guy can check the codes for free by driving it to autozone - if hes competent enough to replace a wheel bearing, hes competent enough to have it diagnosed for free. He probably did, but did not like what he found, and thus is trying to find some poor sucker to take the car off his hands so he can make a quick flip out of it without having to put in too much time/money/effort.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:24 PM

Or maybe he thinks that if your worried about a code on a 18yr old car then your not the right buyer or maybe the bearing was where he drew the line for repairs or maybe.....

I'm just saying you don't have to jump right to he's a f'ing scumbag.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

As others have stated, it doesn't make sense in this day and age for anyone of mechanical aptitude to not know what the codes are (especially if they have supposedly put in a wheel bearing). There are tons of codes that set a CEL that are very serious and costly to repair. Sounds shady to me but it could be a diamond in the rough. Be worth looking at if you can get your own scanner but don't take the sellers word if he says its not something to worry about.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:22 PM

If I were you, I'd use some of the funds and invest in a highly rated $20 scanner from Walmart, and Uber over there to check the codes. And test drive the darn thing.

Not sure how your state regulations are with emissions and vehicle age, but if it's a bad catalytic converter, that's half the price of the car. If it's a misfire, could just need a coil pack.

Hard tellin' not knowin'

But I see the dilemma with needing an inexpensive ride for a few months. Hard to find a $700 car that you can count on. check Craigslist frequently for other options, but really everything in that price range is going to amount to this.

It's best to consider all possibilities before any conclusions are made.

Last edited by NC00DEK; 08-24-2019 at 09:32 PM.