5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Possible alternator whine, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Possible alternator whine, suggestions?

I noticed a whining noise coming from the front of the motor (ie; by the belts). It is consistent with RPMs. Im assuming it is the alternator making the noise because I know thats a thing - its a pretty high pitched whine. It definitely is not an invisible supercharger, i checked. Im going to check the voltages tomorrow although it is my understanding that a whining alternator doesnt always mean that it isnt putting out enough volts, just that the alternator is getting ready to experience a mechanic failure. Is it safe to unplug the alternator with the car running to test if the noise goes away?

Is there any other likely culprits? My only other thought would be the power steering pump, but id imagine that would happen when actually steering rather than simply idling. Belts are new and properly tightened so I know its not them. Also, if it is indeed the alternator, anyone have suggestions for replacement? Really dont want to replace it with a trash one that needs to be warrantied out every few months, id rather pay the extra dollar and literally never worry about it again.

Thanks as always.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:25 PM

Check for a failed diode in the alternator. See this video
When you verify noise is coming from the alternator, be sure to check the alternator bearings as a possible noise source.

I have used a length of PVC pipe as a stethoscope to isolate a source of noise. I use extreme caution, pay attention, move very slowly and I do not allow the tube to touch anything that's rotating, especially anywhere near the cooling fans or serpentine belt. No pets or children are allowed nearby to distract me. Anyone who uses this technique is 100% at fault if they end up with a tube stuck in their ear. I cup my fingers over the end of the tube nearest my ear to minimize the damage if I fail to be careful.

Last edited by DougR; 11-08-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:07 PM

Stethoscope is a good way to go to listen for noise from the alternator. I had my alternator rebuilt by a local shop that does alternators/starters (they also did my starter) and both have been without issue.

I can't speak to the reliability of new cheapo alternators since I don't have experience with them. I would always prefer to get my alternator rebuilt (or replaced by a rebuilt OEM unit) from a local, reputable shop.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:42 AM

You can unplug it for a few minutes without ill effects. I also suggest a local rebuilder for the alternator. They often can even squeeze out a little more power. As long as you can find a reputable one.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:37 AM

Look into the belt tensioner as well.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by AaronL
Stethoscope is a good way to go to listen for noise from the alternator. I had my alternator rebuilt by a local shop that does alternators/starters (they also did my starter) and both have been without issue.

I can't speak to the reliability of new cheapo alternators since I don't have experience with them. I would always prefer to get my alternator rebuilt (or replaced by a rebuilt OEM unit) from a local, reputable shop.
Originally Posted by Theslaking
You can unplug it for a few minutes without ill effects. I also suggest a local rebuilder for the alternator. They often can even squeeze out a little more power. As long as you can find a reputable one.
I've never thought of rebuilding an alternator or starter before. I much rather this route than purchase a replacement. What did you guys end up paying to rebuild these pieces? I understand different regions will reflect differently in price, but I'm curious as to what the cost of rebuilding would be compared to a replacement purchase. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2019, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by 03_GLE
I've never thought of rebuilding an alternator or starter before. I much rather this route than purchase a replacement. What did you guys end up paying to rebuild these pieces? I understand different regions will reflect differently in price, but I'm curious as to what the cost of rebuilding would be compared to a replacement purchase. Thanks!
I don't remember the exact value, but each of the alternator and starter both cost me less than $300 to be removed and replaced with OEM rebuilt units - I think closer to low 200s. That's in Vancouver were we pay through the nose for everything - so probably cheaper pretty much anywhere else in North America.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:13 PM

I paid $60-65 to have mine rebuilt at a electrical shop.
I put a long screwdriver tip on the body of the alt and carefully put my ear near the plastic handle and my noise was more than obvious the alt was the culprit.

Removal was absolute pain.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
I paid $60-65 to have mine rebuilt at a electrical shop.I put a long screwdriver tip on the body of the alt and carefully put my ear near the plastic handle and my noise was more than obvious the alt was the culprit. Removal was absolute pain.
I paid $60 to have my alternator rebuilt at a one-man starter/alternator repair shop near the airport in Phoenix. Removal and reinstallation was harder than a typical vehicle, but doable if you have the tools.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:31 PM

I picked one of these up and it saved me from replacing my power steering pump, what I originally thought was my clicking noise. Found out my noise was the auto tensioner after I got a good listen with the scope.

https://www.harborfreight.com/Mechan...ope-63691.html