5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5 speed transmission locked

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

5 speed transmission locked

Short and sweet -Driving the car on an autocross track harder than I should have. Hit an oil patch and did a 360. After that the car ran and drove but was locked in third gear. A short time later it came out of gear and the gear shifter is now locked in place. Car starts, revs and the clutch feels like it still has pressure but I can’t get it into gear.

I suspect the clutch is shot and will need to be replaced (although that by itself wouldn’t lock the shifter in place that I am aware of). And I also am thinking the synchros got locked which is causing the shifter to lock. Before I take it out to work on it-

Has anyone else experienced the shifter locked out?

Good clutch’s in the stage 2 range?

And reasonable clutch rebuild kits that may help make it a bit stronger?
Old 11-22-2019, 03:47 PM

can you shift the car while the engine is off? If so, your clutch is shot.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I wish it was as easy as that. But no, the shifter is STUCK. Car on and off. Clutch in or out. It is locked. We’re taking it apart to open it up. It’s already on jack stands with both tires and axles off. Next will be starter, slave cylinder and starter.

Originally Posted by Ttumachy
Short and sweet -Driving the car on an autocross track harder than I should have. Hit an oil patch and did a 360. After that the car ran and drove but was locked in third gear. A short time later it came out of gear and the gear shifter is now locked in place. Car starts, revs and the clutch feels like it still has pressure but I can’t get it into gear.

I suspect the clutch is shot and will need to be replaced (although that by itself wouldn’t lock the shifter in place that I am aware of). And I also am thinking the synchros got locked which is causing the shifter to lock. Before I take it out to work on it-

Has anyone else experienced the shifter locked out?

Good clutch’s in the stage 2 range?

And reasonable clutch rebuild kits that may help make it a bit stronger?