5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Acute, Simultaneous, Bilateral Rear Caliper Seal Failure, Brakemotive Remans

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 08:14 PM

Acute, Simultaneous, Bilateral Rear Caliper Seal Failure, Brakemotive Remans

Title says it all! As some of you who have followed along with this project know, these are relatively new calipers purchased in March of this year. Fortunately, I had a spare set of the same reman calipers from brakemotive that they didn't want returned to them following my complaint of poorly floating caliper brackets, so they just sent a new set of calipers and let me keep the first set, to which I made some minor filing adjustments to, added new, OEM guide pins and put back in the boxes as a functional spare set. So that was nice of them, and thank god it worked out that way!

What do you guys think? Do you think I deserve any recompense, or as purchasers of remanufactured equipment, do we assume the risk of purchasing such equipment? Below is an incident description communication I sent through ebay to brakemotive not 10 minutes ago.

"

Greetings,

Unfortunately I have some bad news. Within the last 48 hours I was subject to a complete, bilateral rear seal failure with these calipers. I have uploaded a video to YouTube for you to review.

This was quite unsettling as the acute failure was a serious safety risk and presented itself quickly and while I was driving the vehicle. My master cylinder was run nearly dry within 24 miles of onset of symptoms. Braking efficacy declined sharply and rapidly. I was, however, able to immediately recognize and adjust to the declining braking efficacy and safely make it home from work this morning without incident.

As soon as I got home this morning, I replaced both rear calipers and cleaned the caustic brake fluid from all affected components, but as evidenced by the video, damage to painted and powder coated surfaces of my suspension components and wheels had already occurred. I was able to get the wheels cleaned satisfactorily and there does not appear to be notable damage. Fortunately, I was able to get everything cleaned up and replaced, and the system bled before having to return to work. The car stops fine now, albeit with a slightly less responsive pedal, but I will bleed the system again on my next day off and hopefully return pedal sensitivity to normal.

I wanted to bring this to your attention as this appears to be an anomaly, involving both calipers at the same time. Having never seen this type of failure occur this way before, with such newly remanufactured components, I am at a loss as to why this occurred. Hopefully this is an isolated incident, and there are no issues with other calipers/seal kits you used of the same batch. Please see the below video.

Awaiting your response.

"
Old 12-05-2019, 08:41 PM

Original listing with warranty info:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401701714535
Old 12-06-2019, 06:51 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I installed new calipers on my car. The rears are from Advance Auto. One developed a leak like yours in a few months time. I got a replacement on the spot, no questions asked, along with an apology. They have a lifetime warranty. I think the guy behind the counter was trying offer me free brake fluid, and perhaps the caliper paint I used, for my trouble. I said no. I'm too easy going.

My previous car had Auto Zone calipers and I got free replacements at least once, probably twice. Again lifetime warranty, no hassle.

So, I see thier 1 year warranty as a joke, especially for their premium product. The fine print bugs me too, saying you may need to buy more parts then get reimbursed, pay shipping, etc. I find all that BS. At least you already have a spare set.

2 failures at once, in short time is unacceptable. I hope they send you another pair no questions asked. Or just as for a refund and go from there.

Old 12-06-2019, 07:37 PM

The warranty info is pretty standard language. These guys do a lot of volume and have an impressive feedback score. They've already basically given me a free set of calipers, albeit they still needed some work to pass my QC standards, but I still have them. Problem is, I'm running them now, and they may very well also be subject to the same fate as the failed set.

I received this response from them today:

"Hello,

I have forwarded the video to our Technician for him to review. We will provide feedback once he reviews the video.

Thank You
BrakeMotive"

I'll keep you guys posted regarding their response. So far my brakes work fine. I re-bled/flushed the whole system again today and the pedal feels normal sans perhaps slightly more throw before engagement, but that could just be psychological.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:36 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

My point about the warranty is it should be lifetime with no hoops to jump through.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:33 PM

I hear ya. I have faith in them though. A lot of standard language is there for "cya" purposes. As the vendor they can deviate to the benefit of the consumer however they want, and in my case, they did once already by not bothering with the return of the first set! I even tried to argue with them to get them returned because I'm not the kind of person that is comfortable with keeping product I didn't pay for but they insisted! So okey dokey smokey, I fixed the guide pin issue and stored them away!

They'll make it right. I've never had a problem with ebay.

Update: Brakes are a tad spongey today, and the pedal after startup for work could be pushed all the way to the floor with a bit of force (not easily), but I have only bled the rears once and that was at installation. I'll get them bled again tomorrow after I wake up. Car stops fine, and no pumping is required, but I am certain now that the reduced sensitivity is not in my head.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:09 PM

Latest update:

I sent them a quick status inquiry a couple days ago and below is their response. What would you guys do?

"Hello,

He (their tech) has reviewed the video and advised we ship you new Rear calipers. Would you like to proceed?

Thank You
BrakeMotive "

I have both sets they originally sent. I'm running one set now, of course, and the failed set is sitting on my garage floor. I'd like to recondition and rebuild the failed set with a fresh coat of powdercoat and an OEM seal kit and put them aside as a spare set. Remember, I have only paid for one set of rears so far, the first set being the calipers I slightly modded to allow for free floating bodies. Should I explain this to them or just have them send out another pair? either way I'm still going to rebuild the failed set. I want to paint them some crazy color like neon orange or something.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:53 PM

So I went ahead and agreed to have them send out a new set. Here is their response:

"Hello,

No problem, tracking will be available tomorrow. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact us.

Thank You
BrakeMotive"

Easy peasy. They are a great seller. I'm still going to rebuild and powdercoat the failed set hot orange!