5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rattling: Timing chain?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 05:50 PM

Rattling: Timing chain?

Hi everyone. My 2003 GLE automatic has been having this rattle sound that is seemingly intermittent at first, but has become more common when idling. I can't make out whether the rattling continues when driving (have not heard any during acceleration) but it does occur when idling at a stop, and sometimes while in park. Could this be a timing chain issue? So far the car has 69K miles with no other issues aside from this (annoying) noise. Any ideas on what I should have my mechanic pay attention to? (asking for a friend)
Old 02-19-2020, 07:00 AM
Bad *** Newb

Either there's no oil, bad chain tensioner, or maybe heat shield.

I don't think precats rattle at idle.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:03 AM

I'd look up videos of maximas/nissans with timing chain rattles and see if it it sounds anything like that. If it doesn't then it might be a heat shield or two. I had a bad buzzing/rattling sound on my 04 max at idle and certain RPMs and it turned out to be 2 really rusted heat shields. I just tore them off with some pliers and the issue was solved!
Old 02-19-2020, 01:26 PM

My 03 rattles at low rpm (1.5k-2.5k) especially when it's down a 1/2 qt on oil. I suspect it's the tensioner/guides
Old 02-19-2020, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Either there's no oil, bad chain tensioner, or maybe heat shield.

I don't think precats rattle at idle.
I checked the oil earlier today - haven't turned the car on yet today - and the dip stick had a good color (light brown) and was past max fill line, so I don't suspect low oil to be the issue. I also looked at the lower radiator support and that seemed fine (prior owner put a brand new radiator and upper support pieces just before handing it over because one of the support brackets was drooping).

Originally Posted by RichardIV
I'd look up videos of maximas/nissans with timing chain rattles and see if it it sounds anything like that. If it doesn't then it might be a heat shield or two. I had a bad buzzing/rattling sound on my 04 max at idle and certain RPMs and it turned out to be 2 really rusted heat shields. I just tore them off with some pliers and the issue was solved!
I did that yesterday and it was concerning to listen to, BUT mine doesn't rattle non-stop like some of the videos showed. I drove it last night due to wonderful NYC alternate side parking and boy does this car boogie. But the rattle was intermittent - unless it's a precursor to an eventually going back timing chain. Is there any way to visually inspect this without having to lift the car or take it to a shop?

Originally Posted by ukmastermind
My 03 rattles at low rpm (1.5k-2.5k) especially when it's down a 1/2 qt on oil. I suspect it's the tensioner/guides
I don't think oil is the issue here given the dip stick had a healthy amount slathered on it, and was still a very light brown color. The original owner had an oil change sticker (synthetic only) that was done at 67K miles. I now have 69,400. I have always put synthetic in all of my cars, and do 5,000 mile intervals like clockwork, so upon approaching 72,000 miles I'll change the oil while keeping a close eye on it until then.

Perhaps it is a heat shield. My '01 I remember had somthing similar which ended up being a heat shield I simply ripped off by hand that's how far gone it was. It was closer towards the front IIRC. Is there any detriment to not having a heat shield on the car?
Old 02-19-2020, 03:09 PM

And thank you all for your responses!
Old 03-01-2020, 05:45 PM

FWIW, the rattling is not constantly humming while idling/waiting at a stop light. It may come and go. Also noticed that after allowing the car a proper warm up (needle touching C on the gauge) it alleviates any chance of rattling. Could this possibly be something else I should focus attention to?
Old 02-21-2021, 09:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ive had this same issue! I have this very annoying motorcycle sound where when im idle, sitting, or in park the sound would stay and if im in a drive through on the brakes for too long another annoying sound would occur and they would both try to overpower one another. I was told it sOuNdS like a timing guide issue which doesnt sound right because the car wouldnt drive at all without them, or a engine knock which definitely doesnt sound right because i wold have gotten a code or i would hear it in the actual engine. I only hear it inside and when i open the hood it is on the passanger side near the belts and pulleys. I think its a wheel bearing because when turning it does tend to stop. Also when i accelerate the car delays as well as going up a hill. When going down a hill it feels as though the brakes are on trying to slow me down from speeding on a hill. I have no idea why any of these are happening. I have a 2007 Nissan Maxima 3.5L. Thanks in advanced guys!
Old 02-21-2021, 09:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

heres some examples of what im hearing
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video_1.mov (687.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: mov
Video.mov (700.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-21-2021, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by curlfrito
... I was told it sOuNdS like a timing guide issue which doesn't sound right because the car wouldn't drive at all without them, .... I think its a wheel bearing because when turning it does tend to stop.
A car can drive with a worn timing chain, loose tensioner or broken timing chain guide. It will run for awhile, until it gets so bad, then it will stop running. If you think its a wheel bearing, then why is the vehicle making noise when the car is not moving (video.mov)? Perhaps you have both a timing chain rattle and wheel bearing issue. The 3.5L is an interference engine. Do you have a 3.5?

When you recorded video.mov, was the A/C off? Have you tried using a mechanics stethoscope to help locate source of the noise? If you don't have a stethoscope, you may use a piece of PVC pipe held close to the ear to isolate the point of loudest noise, timing chain cover, valve cover, oil pan, A/C compressor, manual clutch, or something else. The hood is closed in your video, so noise could be coming from anywhere. Perhaps you have rod knock or a spun bearing. How long have you had these symptoms and did one symptom appear before the other?

Listen to this video
which is reported to be a broken timing chain guide. Other videos of timing chain rattle are much less noisy but no less harmful if you keep driving without knowing what needs to be fixed.

Last edited by DougR; 02-21-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 02:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey i just got both my gasket valve cover changed and the noise is now almost gone but very much better. I can still hear it but it is very soft. I haven't recorded it yet but i will. I understand now that it may be the timing chain guides but my mechanic checked my wheel bearings and there are no signs of any issues. Thank you for your video it really did help inform me on my situation.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:46 AM

What kinda of work have you RECENTLY done to the Car?

Anything to do with Motor Oil ?