5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with the heated steering wheel in your 2k2?
Yes, I've had a problem with it
0%
No, it's worked fine.
100.00%
It's on my car but I don't use it
0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Heated Wheel probs on 2k2

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002 | 04:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Heated Wheel probs on 2k2

Due to another thread's title, but definitely not it's subject, I'd like to find out how many people have had problems with the heated steering wheel in the 2k2. If you select 'Yes', then post a description of the problem.

Thanks

Albert
Old 02-06-2002 | 05:52 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

A) Search can easily reveal that answer:

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

B) The poll will be flawed because people will just vote to skew the results a certain way.

C) Consider how many 2k2s have been sold and how FEW of those owners actually post here, and then having several posts with the same complaint centered around the heated wheel, would lead one to conclude that there is a quality control problem.
Old 02-06-2002 | 06:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by bill99gxe
A) Search can easily reveal that answer:

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

B) The poll will be flawed because people will just vote to skew the results a certain way.

C) Consider how many 2k2s have been sold and how FEW of those owners actually post here, and then having several posts with the same complaint centered around the heated wheel, would lead one to conclude that there is a quality control problem.
A) Your search can't just be on the words 'heated wheel' as all the threads I read there had nothing to do with problems with the heated steering wheel.

B) What kind of logic is that? What the hell are polls for? What sort of paranoid envelope are you in? Then I guess you could say anyone reporting a problem with their heated wheel can't be believed either. Logic like this invalidates any thread ever posted anywhere, by anyone. I'm just going to forget you said this.

C) Now you want me to imagine numbers over considering a poll in this community to be taken as an accurate indication of overall opinion? If you have numbers to back up your claim, let's see them. Otherwise, this poll is going to have to do. You don't even own a 2k2, I've got less of a reason to listen to your opinion on this subject than people that would reply to the poll.

Man, I can't believe you actually posted that stuff.

Albert
Old 02-06-2002 | 06:51 AM

I would think that, if anything, the other threads would be skewing impressions. Most people tend to be more vocal about complaints than praise. For every five people seeking out a forum to complain about malfunctioning steering wheel heaters, there's probably five thousand more who aren't having any troubles at all and who, therefore, we don't hear from.
Old 02-06-2002 | 07:05 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by Chance
I would think that, if anything, the other threads would be skewing impressions. Most people tend to be more vocal about complaints than praise. For every five people seeking out a forum to complain about malfunctioning steering wheel heaters, there's probably five thousand more who aren't having any troubles at all and who, therefore, we don't hear from.
Yep - couldn't agree more.

When a handful of people post about problems suddenly everybody think there's a design flaw and huge defects and that there should be a "national recall" and what not.

This is why nearly every automotive forum you'll go to you'll hear people complaining about their "weak" tranny and how the tranny is "flawed" and needs a redesign. Little do they know that the handful of people reporting problems were neutral dropping and doing reverse donuts and racing at every light or not taking care of it and just wouldn't fess up to it.

Examples:
1) Wait...you mean neutral dropping is bad? oh oh...
2) My tranny failed at 56k. You mean I was suppose to get it flushed at 30k?
3) I spray my 100-shot during shifts too. Is that why my gears were all thrashed?
4) I put it in Drive when I'm still rolling in reverse at a few MPH and just hit the gas to get the car moving. Is that bad?
5) I park on a steep hill and don't use the e-brake. Is that why my park mechanism failed?

Too all of the above:

After everybody was complaining about the Accord V6's "weak tranny" I finally did a poll and found that we had a mere 1% REAL failure rate on the tranny. The 16% that had problems were abusing or neglecting the tranny in some way that caused it to fail, and there was another 3% that was probably natural attrition, which was about right.

There hasn't been a peep about the Accord V6's "weak tranny" since!
Old 02-06-2002 | 07:08 AM

I don't own a 2k2, but I think I saw a poll that showed 9 out of 10 polls give inaccurate results. Why does this remind me of Family Feud? X

If you just want to know who has experienced a malfunctioning steering wheel heater, then the poll serves it purpose; but, it probably won't give a true failure rate because the sample isn't randomly selected.
Old 02-06-2002 | 07:13 AM

Originally posted by akrus

A) Your search can't just be on the words 'heated wheel' as all the threads I read there had nothing to do with problems with the heated steering wheel.

Hmm.....really? Did you even bother clicking on the link before typing your comments that reflect your stupidity?

All the threads in that search you say?

Try (if you can) clicking on these links, which came from that search that you obviously looked at thoroughly:

This post revealed problems from member bimmersnomore:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=heated+wheel

This post revealed problems from member Eric:

These posts below revealed issues with its effectiveness/operation that shows poor testing control or engineering by Nissan (not necessarily problems) from the following members:

haylo75

TrexMax

xydavid and ABS

Maxmann

B) What kind of logic is that? What the hell are polls for? What sort of paranoid envelope are you in? Then I guess you could say anyone reporting a problem with their heated wheel can't be believed either. Logic like this invalidates any thread ever posted anywhere, by anyone. I'm just going to forget you said this.

Obviously, you haven't seen many polls taken here as some try and sabotage those results. That logic is called experience.

Search is effective because it minimizes the possibility of a concerted effort to "taint" posts with untrue comments by listing random posts from different members alluding to the same possible issues.

You seem to be fairly naive in your full belief in the internet and all that is in these forums, or at least that's what is inferred from your comments. Then you go off the deep end with your "nothing is true" assertions. Again, my experience takes precedence over your inferences. I can't help it if you are ignorant.

C) Now you want me to imagine numbers over considering a poll in this community to be taken as an accurate indication of overall opinion? If you have numbers to back up your claim, let's see them. Otherwise, this poll is going to have to do. You don't even own a 2k2, I've got less of a reason to listen to your opinion on this subject than people that would reply to the poll.

I've shown you my initial search results. To have several members complain of its operation and then a couple specifically say the heater doesn't work at all for an option that isn't in a whole lot of Maximas to begin with can actually lead those with common sense to believe that Nissan isn't seeing to it that the wheels heat properly from the factory. I expect better out of their "flagship" model.

Man, I can't believe you actually posted that stuff.

I can't believe you would call someone out, especially a moderator, if you hadn't done an ounce of research to back up your assertions so as to not appear stupid in front of a lot of members. But that was your choice.
Old 02-06-2002 | 07:25 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Yep - couldn't agree more.

When a handful of people post about problems suddenly everybody think there's a design flaw and huge defects and that there should be a "national recall" and what not.

This is why nearly every automotive forum you'll go to you'll hear people complaining about their "weak" tranny and how the tranny is "flawed" and needs a redesign. Little do they know that the handful of people reporting problems were neutral dropping and doing reverse donuts and racing at every light or not taking care of it and just wouldn't fess up to it.

Examples:
1) Wait...you mean neutral dropping is bad? oh oh...
2) My tranny failed at 56k. You mean I was suppose to get it flushed at 30k?
3) I spray my 100-shot during shifts too. Is that why my gears were all thrashed?
4) I put it in Drive when I'm still rolling in reverse at a few MPH and just hit the gas to get the car moving. Is that bad?
5) I park on a steep hill and don't use the e-brake. Is that why my park mechanism failed?

Too all of the above:

After everybody was complaining about the Accord V6's "weak tranny" I finally did a poll and found that we had a mere 1% REAL failure rate on the tranny. The 16% that had problems were abusing or neglecting the tranny in some way that caused it to fail, and there was another 3% that was probably natural attrition, which was about right.

There hasn't been a peep about the Accord V6's "weak tranny" since!

Steve,

For this particular feature, complaints from several should raise some red flags. A tranny on the V6 Accords applies to ALL, so a failure rate is to be expected. A heated steering wheel available only on 2k2 Maximas with the Meridian Package, which is available on equipping the following trims as follows:

2k2 SEs must have:

Bose
Sunroof
Side Impact Airbags

Interestingly, leather isn't specifically required, but that is probably an oversight by Nissan since the seats are heated. I doubt you could order one like this without leather. That retails for about $30,100.

2k2 GLEs must have:

Traction Control
Sunroof
Side Impact Airbags

This retails for about $29,900.

Since it is likely not as many FULLY loaded Maximas are out there, it is safe to say several members here who have issues with its operation or whether it functions at all would lead one to think it is prone to problems. I think its a lack of quality control that has forced me to swear off any new Nissan purchases in the future. Attention to detail is what made the Maxima a MAXima.......now Nissan seems to be chasing its own tail trying to get the 5th and 6th gens to be like the 3rd gens were.........
Old 02-06-2002 | 07:51 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Please use the links Bill provided.