5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cooling fan and alternator go bad 2 days apart

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 01:10 PM

Cooling fan and alternator go bad 2 days apart

The alternator I took off was a Nissan reman took it to Napa they didn’t have the right bracket or something to test it so I had to take it to advance auto parts they tested it it’s bad now I’m wondering why this will be the third alternator maybe even more that’s been put on this Maxima. Is there a problem that I don’t know about? Last week one of my cooling fans stopped working ended up testing it and it was bad so instead of buying one fan I ended up buying the complete dual housing fans. Does anyone have any ideas are these two connected in someway? Here’s the crazy thing ive been having problems out of my neighbor vandalizing my cars I ended up buying a Camera last week I’m going to catch his *** I’m just wondering is there something he could’ve done that would cause one of my fans to go bad and a few days later the alternator? This guy is something else let me tell you he’s actually a mechanic, two weeks ago he was on his riding lawnmower blowing **** all over my cars and in the corner of the lot there is a bunch of twigs acorns stuff that if you ran over it with a lawnmower it would be like shooting a gun at somebody well he ended up cracking the windshield on my Maxima but it’s really my wife’s Maxima. He actually Played the stupid card saying he didn’t realize he was doing that I looked him right in the eyes and said you really expect me to believe that? Once I told my wife her windshield was cracked she lost it and went over and lit his *** up. He had it replaced the next day. If anyone has any insight on this please help trying to figure out if the two are connected (cooling fan/alternator) 2000 Max SE
Old 07-26-2020, 07:17 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Mrelcocko
The alternator I took off was a Nissan reman took it to Napa they didn’t have the right bracket or something to test it so I had to take it to advance auto parts they tested it it’s bad now I’m wondering why this will be the third alternator maybe even more that’s been put on this Maxima. Is there a problem that I don’t know about? Last week one of my cooling fans stopped working ended up testing it and it was bad so instead of buying one fan I ended up buying the complete dual housing fans. Does anyone have any ideas are these two connected in someway? Here’s the crazy thing ive been having problems out of my neighbor vandalizing my cars I ended up buying a Camera last week I’m going to catch his *** I’m just wondering is there something he could’ve done that would cause one of my fans to go bad and a few days later the alternator? This guy is something else let me tell you he’s actually a mechanic, two weeks ago he was on his riding lawnmower blowing **** all over my cars and in the corner of the lot there is a bunch of twigs acorns stuff that if you ran over it with a lawnmower it would be like shooting a gun at somebody well he ended up cracking the windshield on my Maxima but it’s really my wife’s Maxima. He actually Played the stupid card saying he didn’t realize he was doing that I looked him right in the eyes and said you really expect me to believe that? Once I told my wife her windshield was cracked she lost it and went over and lit his *** up. He had it replaced the next day. If anyone has any insight on this please help trying to figure out if the two are connected (cooling fan/alternator) 2000 Max SE
It's the heat.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:21 PM

Maybe your fans shorted out and messed up the alternator...They're related only but being part of the electrical system! Maybe clean all your grounds really well, make sure your alternator belt is tight, and be sure the Cooling fans do turn off and on! If they're on constantly that could possibly be an issue... make sure to check the following:
1. Battery Voltage with Car not running (11-12.5 volts)
2. Battery Votage with car running (13-14.5 volts)
3. Battery Voltage with Car running and all lights on, emergency flashers on, a/c on full, radio on...(12.8-13.5)

**A good upgrade is changing OEM battery terminals to the Heavy Duty Marine type terminals**
Old 07-27-2020, 04:38 AM

another underated upgrade is a grounding kit =)
Old 07-27-2020, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
another underated upgrade is a grounding kit =)
This. Helped out significantly with mine.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the help guys . So far have replaced alt and cooling fans. No problems reported as of yet 2 days after replacement. I’ve got her trained to tell me anything odd going on with the car. Lol women gotta love them.