5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Loud click when shifting into D or R

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 10:04 AM

Loud click when shifting into D or R

Hey guys, I'm experiencing a loud metallic click when I put my car into drive or reverse. It seems to be coming from the front of the car.

I have already replaced all 4 motor mounts with brand new OEM Nissan mounts, because I thought the engine was shifting when I was putting it in gear. So a little more research tells me it might be my CV axle going bad, but there is no clicking or vibration when I'm driving or turning the wheel...only the pop noise when shifting into D or R. I suppose it could still be a CV axle but I don't know how to be sure. Is there a test I can do, like lift the car up and try to wiggle the front wheel?

I have already replaced:
-All 4 shocks/mounts
-Tie rods
-Sway bar links
-Had it aligned

Now that I know that this is a suspension/steering issue I want to get it fixed as soon as I can. Definitely don't want something coming unglued at 80 mph! Thanks for reading.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:27 PM

can you take a video of the noise.
does it do it with the brakes on and off while R or D?

i've replaced almost everything on my 00 and haven't heard mine have a metallic click
Old 07-30-2020, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
can you take a video of the noise.
does it do it with the brakes on and off while R or D?

i've replaced almost everything on my 00 and haven't heard mine have a metallic click

Yes, here it is. You'll have to turn your sound up to hear.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:28 PM

Sounds like some type of linkage problem.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Theslaking
Well I got to thinking about it and I really think my CV axles are good. So that would leave only the lower control arm which I have not replaced. It is still the original with 20 years and 140k on it..

I wonder if a broken ball joint on the lower control arm would cause that? Anyways I have new Moog problem solvers on the way.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Legionnaire1856
I have already replaced:
-All 4 shocks/mounts
-Tie rods
-Sway bar links
-Had it aligned
Besides the alignment, did you do the rest yourself? If you did, why can’t you lift the car back up and check the rest of the suspension components? If you had someone else do the work, take it back to them so they can check it for you and you can stop playing the guessing game.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Randy Watson
Besides the alignment, did you do the rest yourself? If you did, why can’t you lift the car back up and check the rest of the suspension components? If you had someone else do the work, take it back to them so they can check it for you and you can stop playing the guessing game.
I did all of the work myself, yes. It wasn't because I was trying to fix this particular symptom though, it was just because I wanted my suspension and steering to be on-point. Also the noise was there before I did any of the work, I always thought it was a motor mount somewhere. So when I replaced all of the motor mounts and realized they weren't the issue, I came here hoping someone had experienced something similar.

I'll probably have to get under the car while someone puts it in gear though.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Theslaking
I agree. I can't see how suspension parts can be the issue when the car isn't moving.....maybe something rubbing on the shift cable...or loose.