5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brake Shield/Baffle

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 11:51 AM

Brake Shield/Baffle

my brake dust shields are completely fried one is gone and wearing my brake pads down rapidly. The part is pretty cheap to replace and I was hoping someone could walk me through how.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:55 PM

Replacement for both front and rear splash guards require wheel bearing removal. Probably not something you're set up for/willing to do. Just cut them off/out of the way and keep driving.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by User1
Replacement for both front and rear splash guards require wheel bearing removal. Probably not something you're set up for/willing to do. Just cut them off/out of the way and keep driving.
one is cut and it was a bad idea, it causes your brakes to wear down faster and fries the rotor.

i want to replace them and get new rotors
Old 09-02-2020, 07:55 PM

They're just dust shields. Nothing about them should interfere with the brake components. Sounds like you have bigger problems that you should be more specific about. At this point I don't even know how what you describe is possible. There are a bunch of pictures in this thread I made when I did a bunch of axle and suspension stuff to mine that should point you in the right direction:

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...eeaaahh-2.html

Old 09-02-2020, 09:14 PM

The shield is there to stop water and dirt , without it the rotor corrodes much faster. I replaced my brake pads and rotors at the same time and removed the dust shiled in only one side. That side without a shield has much lower brake pad and the rotor is clearly scorched and warped.

but it doesn’t seem like a fit job, I’ll have to take it somewhere
Old 09-02-2020, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Blue00SEmax
The shield is there to stop water and dirt
Blow me away. Thanks for the info. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:15 PM

Maxima is a fairly large and heavy car, at a good speed your brakes have to work very hard to slow it down. The brake shield isn't going to influence much in that situation. Plus mine rusted off and were cut off and nothing changed. Get good brake pads and don't drive so fast.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:32 AM

The shield is there to stop water and dirt , without it the rotor corrodes much faster. I replaced my brake pads and rotors at the same time and removed the dust shiled in only one side. That side without a shield has much lower brake pad and the rotor is clearly scorched and warped.

but it doesn’t seem like a fit job, I’ll have to take it somewhere
Shield or no shield, your brakes are exposed to dirt and water. Remember, you only have a shield on one side of the brakes. If your one brake is worn out more than the other side, you most likely have another issue other than a missing shield.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:48 AM

I have to disagree, I think the shield is far more important than people tend to think. If one side of the brake system is having to do far more work to slow down due to excess water and debris then it makes sense that it will wear the pad and rotor down faster especially if you live in the rust belt like I do and just one shield (rear passenger) was cut. Maybe since you cut both, yours are wearing down more evenly.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-are-necessary

Last edited by Blue00SEmax; 09-03-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:13 PM

you can buy a bearing pulling kit from harbor freight and remove the hub with simple hand tools.
i would get that pop them on. piece of mind and stuff.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:28 PM

I have to disagree, I think the shield is far more important than people tend to think. If one side of the brake system is having to do far more work to slow down due to excess water and debris then it makes sense that it will wear the pad and rotor down faster especially if you live in the rust belt like I do and just one shield (rear passenger) was cut. Maybe since you cut both, yours are wearing down more evenly.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-are-necessary
it doesn't really matter how they wear if you change all 4 brake pads at the same time. Trust me dude you're you're missing the forest for the tree here. You'd have to live in some crazy climate if you have to fight debris and water all the time, in which case you'd probably get something better suited than a car that's known not to be able to handle when it's either too hot (heat soak) or too cold (prone to serious damage from salt).
Old 09-03-2020, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Thrillho
it doesn't really matter how they wear if you change all 4 brake pads at the same time. Trust me dude you're you're missing the forest for the tree here. You'd have to live in some crazy climate if you have to fight debris and water all the time, in which case you'd probably get something better suited than a car that's known not to be able to handle when it's either too hot (heat soak) or too cold (prone to serious damage from salt).

thanks for your input bro, it might be something you have to see to believe . I did replace my rotors and pads all at the same time, ever since I cut that one shield off I’ve noticed that that particular side is wearing pads down faster, it’s been 2 winters since I did this and i just want to resolve it before this coming winter. I think it might be too big a job for my personal ability.

I’ll be checking my caliper for sticking in the process, like you recommended

Did you check the link I posted, it might better explain what I mean.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:24 PM

I personally have a small braking parachute installed in my 00 max just in case my brakes go out when I'm flying down a street