5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

03 Maxima GLE: Retirement Project or Curse

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 07:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

03 Maxima GLE: Retirement Project or Curse

I purchased my 2003 Nissan Maxima GLE new and it has generally been a good car. However, with 127,000 miles (mostly city driven), it seems as if everything either has or will require repair in the near future. When I retired several years ago, I decided to keep the car and attempt to work on it (thinking it would be a good education in mechanics). I have managed to graduate from completely ignorant to a half-*** mechanic. However, I am now faced with the following situation that the service manual and Internet posts do not seem to adequately address:

Symptoms:

1. Intermittent operation of instrument cluster. I purchased a vehicle speed sensor from 1A Auto (Part No. 1ATRS00143) and used it to replace the sensor located immediately behind the left front wheel. It did not resolve the problem as the instrument panel now does not work at all. I have to assume the new part is functional since I can find no way of testing it with a multimeter (e.g., resistance). When the cluster was still functioning intermittently, I was able to successfully test it using the self-diagnosis procedure that involves tapping the odometer button three times. Each time all of the needles of the instruments jumped (presumably confirming continuity and power) - so I don't think the problem lies with the panel.

2. Problems with cruise control / transmission. My cruise control will not function when the instrument panel is non-functional. In addition, the AT CHECK light will flicker sixteen (16) times when I re-start the car (after it has been driven). I can find no reference in the service manual or online for the AT error message. Despite the message, there has been no problem with shifting during the car's operation. I attempted a self-diagnosis of the transmission (as described in the service manual - page AT-54), but I was unable to move the shifter from Park to Drive while the key was on ACC (as required by the manual).

I would appreciate any helpful comments about these symptoms. I have reviewed all of the youtube videos I can stand and have reviewed the service manual (to the best of my ability). Unfortunately, I do not have diagnostic equipment (Consult-II) .I would also appreciate any suggestions about finding a good aftermarket parts supplier that sells reliable parts.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2021, 09:24 PM

Sounds like a wiring problem with the cluster. The ECU gets vehicle speed signal from the cluster.

Get a diagnostic tool of some kind. Most people own a smartphone so grab a Bluetooth code reader, they're about $15. Or to do CONSULT type functions a license of NDS2, a laptop, and a VAG-COM cable will be a great start, that'll cost you about $70
Old 01-28-2021, 08:01 AM

When you say the instrument cluster does not work, are you referring just to the speedometer, or are none of the gauges working (fuel, RPMs, engine temp, etc)?

Regarding the cruise control and transmission issue, it sounds like this might also be an electrical issue. It sounds like you might have some kind of electrical gremlin affecting multiple systems. I know this is a rudimentary suggestion, but you might want to try replacing the battery. Sometimes a battery might seem healthy when tested by auto part stores, but it could still have internal faults that can cause all sorts of weird electrical issues. I had a similar issue about two years ago.
Old 01-30-2021, 10:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by freezer
Sounds like a wiring problem with the cluster. The ECU gets vehicle speed signal from the cluster.

Get a diagnostic tool of some kind. Most people own a smartphone so grab a Bluetooth code reader, they're about $15. Or to do CONSULT type functions a license of NDS2, a laptop, and a VAG-COM cable will be a great start, that'll cost you about $70
Thank you for the reply. I will purchase a diagnostic tool as you suggest. Up until now, I have acquired the DTCs manually (by the method described in the service manual). Prior to replacing the vehicle speed sensor, that method displayed 1574 and 0500 as error codes, both of which apparently refer to the VSS. After replacing the sensor, the 0500 code was dropped, but 1574 has since re-appeared. Perhaps a more sophisticated diagnostic tool will reveal more. Do you have any idea what the ATT check light blinking 16 times after driving the vehicle signifies?
Old 01-30-2021, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for the reply. The only aspects of the instrument cluster now working are the trip/mode display (at the bottom of the tachometer) and the illuminated gear display (P,N,D,1,2,3) located in the middle of the cluster. Everything else is dark. As for the battery, it is only a year old and has no problem turning the engine over. Did you ever get a confirmed diagnosis as to how your battery caused the problems you experienced (e.g., low voltage or spikes in the battery output)?
Old 01-30-2021, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by drgmax03
Thank you for the reply. I will purchase a diagnostic tool as you suggest. Up until now, I have acquired the DTCs manually (by the method described in the service manual). Prior to replacing the vehicle speed sensor, that method displayed 1574 and 0500 as error codes, both of which apparently refer to the VSS. After replacing the sensor, the 0500 code was dropped, but 1574 has since re-appeared. Perhaps a more sophisticated diagnostic tool will reveal more. Do you have any idea what the ATT check light blinking 16 times after driving the vehicle signifies?
P1574 is indicative of a problem with the vehicle speed reported by your ABS system, which is probably also to do with your ATT light.
A more sophisticated diagnostic tool won't give more info, but you would be able to check some of these vehicle speed signals with NDS2 (Lite) app.

When you say your cluster isn't working, please be more specific. You say its dark, but does the tachometer accurately reflect engine speed? Does the speedometer reflect vehicle speed? Fuel gauge, engine temp??? I understood from your original post that the cluster was basically dead. If its just dark you need to pull it out and replace some bulbs.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I say "dark", I mean not working. Nothing in the instrument cluster functions (shows any read out) except the small display within the tachometer that shows the mode and the gear shift status (P,N etc.). Everything else is not moving. It is not a bad bulb situation.