5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Opel Vectra or 2K3 MAx (You decide)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 10:14 AM

Opel Vectra or 2K3 MAx (You decide)

"2K3 Max" pics:
http://www.charliedigital.com/junk/2k3/2k3max_1.jpg
http://www.charliedigital.com/junk/2k3/2k3max_2.jpg

Opel Vectra:
http://www.charliedigital.com/junk/2k3/2k2vectra_1.jpg
http://www.charliedigital.com/junk/2k3/2k2vectra_2.jpg
http://www.charliedigital.com/junk/2k3/2k2vectra_3.jpg
http://www.charliedigital.com/junk/2k3/2k2vectra_4.jpg
http://www.charliedigital.com/junk/2k3/2k2vectra_5.jpg
http://www.charliedigital.com/junk/2k3/2k2vectra_6.jpg

My observations:

1) The butt slope is way different. Max Pic 2 clearly shows the butt lines slope in and away from the body. Whereas the Opel butt lines are almost vertical.

2) European cars have side markers, the Max in the pic does not.

3) Trunk lid is much shorter on the Max 2 pic than the Opel.

4) Opel has an antenna, Max does not (which is in accord with the current Nissan lineup).

5) Rims look very similar. However, if anyone picks up this months Car and Driver, you'll notice that the G35 5-spoke rims look almost exactly like the ones on the VW on the cover!?!? This itself probably justifies taking a drive down to your local bookstore.

6) Bumpers look completely different. Max pic 2 clearly shows the Max with minimalistic bumper whereas the Opel bumper is slightly more protruding.

7) The Opel has a VW-ish/Audi-ish shape from the second pic. Max pic 2 shows no such resemblance (IMO).

8) By looking at the rear ends of the two Max pics, it's clear that these two are the same cars and that these lines are much different from the ones on the rear of the Opel.

9) Also note that Max pic 1 clearly depicts the chrome edging around the the windows (which I abhor!). Just like the current Maxima, Altima, I35, and G35!!! Whereas this is clearly absent from the Opel!

10) Opel has gas cap on the passenger side, Max has gas cap on the driver's side (just like the current gen.).

11) From lookin at all the Opel pics, it seems to me that the Opel looks much smaller than the Max. Which is in accord with what we know about the European market: smaller, more fuel efficient cars generally comprise most of the market share.

I guess it's a hard call. Only time will tell.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:35 AM

Re: Opel Vectra or 2K3 MAx (You decide)

Find pix of the 5 door hatch Opel Vectra, then compare to the 'Max' pix. I had pix of them, dunno where they went. I'd just not believe anything on that dudes site, there are some pix on it that are legit, but he says he got em first when pix were already released.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:40 AM

Re: Re: Opel Vectra or 2K3 MAx (You decide)

Originally posted by Ludacris
Find pix of the 5 door hatch Opel Vectra, then compare to the 'Max' pix. I had pix of them, dunno where they went. I'd just not believe anything on that dudes site, there are some pix on it that are legit, but he says he got em first when pix were already released.
Hmmm...I couldn't find the pics of the hatch...if you find em, post em
Old 02-07-2002, 10:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: Opel Vectra or 2K3 MAx (You decide)

Originally posted by NJ_MAX2000

Hmmm...I couldn't find the pics of the hatch...if you find em, post em
Found it

Front end shape is the same, overall body is the same. Details like taillamps, mirrors and doorhandles can all be photoshopped easily. It even has the exact same charcter line down the side of the body..
Old 02-07-2002, 11:26 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I really dont want to argue this moot point...

but one of the maxima's consistant styling cues is the line of the rear windows. That little part of the window that doesnt roll down. Notice the curve. the opel is straight down. Actually, of all things to change with a new platform, they would keep this curve. Dont ask me why, but they do. Look at the 4th gen.

I really don't know/care but the window adds to the credibility and shows that it's something not Vectra.
Old 02-07-2002, 11:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Opel Vectra or 2K3 MAx (You decide)

Found it

Front end shape is the same, overall body is the same. Details like taillamps, mirrors and doorhandles can all be photoshopped easily. It even has the exact same charcter line down the side of the body..
The more I look at it, the more it resembles an A4
Old 02-07-2002, 11:46 AM

Re: I really dont want to argue this moot point...

Originally posted by TimW
but one of the maxima's consistant styling cues is the line of the rear windows. That little part of the window that doesnt roll down. Notice the curve. the opel is straight down. Actually, of all things to change with a new platform, they would keep this curve. Dont ask me why, but they do. Look at the 4th gen.

I really don't know/care but the window adds to the credibility and shows that it's something not Vectra.
Yeah, I've noticed that too since 3rd gens till 5th. The rear window is shaped pretty much the same..

Bleh my cr@ppy photoshop skills, but you get the idea..

Old 02-07-2002, 01:37 PM

Personally, I like the Opel's looks better ... nicer lines with clean and bold edges ... the Max looks rounded. In fact, the Max reminds me of the last generation Altima, only MUCH BIGGER
Old 02-07-2002, 03:58 PM

Re: Re: I really dont want to argue this moot point...

Justin, you got it...I don't think it's a Maxima...You da man!

Trevor

Yeah, I've noticed that too since 3rd gens till 5th. The rear window is shaped pretty much the same..

Old 02-07-2002, 05:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: I really dont want to argue this moot point...

Originally posted by Trev_Daddy
Justin, you got it...I don't think it's a Maxima...You da man!

Trevor

Hehe, well I'm not positive but 99.99% sure. The thing that p!sses me off was before I knew about Maxima.org I was on the Edmunds forums and the dude from that site actually came on and started flaming me and a bunch of other people that were saying his site was BS.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:59 PM

c'mon guys Opel Vectra shares the same platform with Caddy Catera. To me, the Vectra's design rather giving cues of French automotive styling of Citroen. I dont see any resemblance to a Max whatsoever. Modern cars are all stylish and have smooth lines. BTW I am sure this Opel sucks in performance as most of other European cars, their gas is 1 dolla per litre (1gallon=3.8L makes it 4 bucks a gallon) so their cars are all tiny and have underpowered little engines. yaikes!

I'd like to see pics of latest Renault cars, since they are the ones who help save Nissans ***.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:27 PM

you're right...

doesnt look much like the current max.. then again, the new altima doesnt look alot like the last one. Or the 4th gen to 5th gen max.

if you take a long look at the Altima, G35 and Q45 then you can imagine this sliding into that product line. I agree that it bears no resemblence to current gen.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:41 PM

Re: you're right...

doesnt look much like the current max.. then again, the new altima doesnt look alot like the last one. Or the 4th gen to 5th gen max.

if you take a long look at the Altima, G35 and Q45 then you can imagine this sliding into that product line. I agree that it bears no resemblence to current gen.
Hey Timmy, I'm just curious (cuz I guess I can't read your vibe), are you on the same page as me thinking that this could be the next gen Max?
Old 02-08-2002, 06:45 AM

The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the picture of the Opel was "Hmmmm, the Volvo S60 looks good in gold."

Does anyone else think the Opel looks like a Volvo?
Old 02-08-2002, 07:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maxSmart
The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the picture of the Opel was "Hmmmm, the Volvo S60 looks good in gold."

Does anyone else think the Opel looks like a Volvo?
Yes you took the words right out of my mouth. That thing looks a lot like the Volvo S60. But, if that is what the next Maxima is going to look like then I have one word for you "barf" Please God, please don't let Nissan do this to our beloved Maxima.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:27 AM

my take

Even if this was the rolling mule for the next gen, it would look vastly different on the showroom floor. My opinion is that the maxima will fit somewhere between the q45 and altima in terms of lines and dimension. That kinda follows what we have pics of. That emblem is way too big on those spy pics. That throws me off.

But, you have to know the car will look something like this. I mean, in a way, all cars tend to follow trends. This passat look is what everyone is aspiring to now.

Just like the 2000 celica. Anyone notice how that car is 2 years ahead of the trends? Every gen of the Celica has been a style setter for those years. Even the front of the 350z looks celica inspired to me. ok, I'm wandering now.. just an observation.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:35 AM

Re: my take

Even if this was the rolling mule for the next gen, it would look vastly different on the showroom floor. My opinion is that the maxima will fit somewhere between the q45 and altima in terms of lines and dimension. That kinda follows what we have pics of. That emblem is way too big on those spy pics. That throws me off.

But, you have to know the car will look something like this. I mean, in a way, all cars tend to follow trends. This passat look is what everyone is aspiring to now.

Just like the 2000 celica. Anyone notice how that car is 2 years ahead of the trends? Every gen of the Celica has been a style setter for those years. Even the front of the 350z looks celica inspired to me. ok, I'm wandering now.. just an observation.
Have you seen those Altima ebmlems? They're damn huge! It's almost repulsive....it's a growing trend towards bigger emblems I tell you.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:27 AM

Re: Re: my take

Bigger emblems for the inferiority complex that the engineers have

Originally posted by NJ_MAX2000

Have you seen those Altima ebmlems? They're damn huge! It's almost repulsive....it's a growing trend towards bigger emblems I tell you.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
c'mon guys Opel Vectra shares the same platform with Caddy Catera. To me, the Vectra's design rather giving cues of French automotive styling of Citroen. I dont see any resemblance to a Max whatsoever. Modern cars are all stylish and have smooth lines. BTW I am sure this Opel sucks in performance as most of other European cars, their gas is 1 dolla per litre (1gallon=3.8L makes it 4 bucks a gallon) so their cars are all tiny and have underpowered little engines. yaikes!

I'd like to see pics of latest Renault cars, since they are the ones who help save Nissans ***.
Look here : http://www.renault.com/gb/produits/index_produit.htm
Old 02-08-2002, 10:43 AM

Re: Re: I really dont want to argue this moot point...

hmmm the max looks more like the french car citron....
Old 02-08-2002, 11:09 AM

Re: Re: Re: I really dont want to argue this moot point...

Originally posted by csyeo

hmmm the max looks more like the french car citron....
Some are very ugly, others like the Clio V6 should satisfy some of us... Remember Renault 5 Turbo?
Old 02-08-2002, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Jief

Look here : http://www.renault.com/gb/produits/index_produit.htm
Wow!!! Those are some ugly cars. The fact that they actually sell some of them gives credence to the phrase "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."
Old 02-08-2002, 12:52 PM

yes

WOW is right!!!

http://www.renault.com/gb/produits/clio_V6.htm

look at the pics! notice anything odd?

imagine the surprise of that civic next to you..
Old 02-08-2002, 01:15 PM

Re: yes

WOW is right!!!

http://www.renault.com/gb/produits/clio_V6.htm

look at the pics! notice anything odd?

imagine the surprise of that civic next to you..
Word, Rear mount engine, 230 HP, a hatch the size of a Civic? Site says it runs 0-100 kph (~62 mph) in 6.4...sweetness. I'm sure with a little bit of tuning it could be in the high 5's/low 6's. This thing would give the Max, the Alti, and maybe even give the new Z a run for it's money with the right aftermarket support. Of course it's in a totally different class, but still an interesting thought.
Old 02-08-2002, 08:11 PM

i don't think we should start anything about the 2k3 max, cause this thread will start to fill with BS.