5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

05-06 G35 sedan muffler + eBay catback

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 04:30 PM

05-06 G35 sedan muffler + eBay catback

since a lot of the shops around here can't seem to handle the tight space above the axle I went ahead and ordered one of those cheap catbacks off ebay so I could put an 05-06 G35 sedan muffler onto it.

first of all, it wasn't even 2.5" piping as advertised it was 2.25". the install was simple. only thing is that the rear passenger side has to be lifted up really high with the wheel removed to angle the rear section in through the tight space over the axle. the hangers on the rear section didn't really work well, the muffler was too high and touching the bumper. I used zip ties to make the muffler hang a bit lower just to get me to the exhaust shop to change the muffler out.

the muffler was super loud. I set off a car alarm on the next street when I revved it unless it was just a coincidence. I stopped by a local exhaust shop to get the G35 muffler installed and they seemed to have a hard time with it, I was there for 2 hours or more. The muffler came out good but I think I may change the tips, the hose clamps that hold them in place look goofy. I also need to change the gaskets to OEM Nissan 2.25" flange gaskets cause the ones that came with the kit suck. the guy at the exhaust shop pointed out that they are leaking already. I will also add a resonator since the one on there is probably cheap or maybe just made to look like a resonator.

also has VQ30 exhaust manifolds, Warpspeed y-pipe, and no cats.

Old 10-02-2021, 08:22 PM

Cool! Been waiting for this one. So, was it what you expected? Are you happy with it? Sounds like it might have some "zing zing" rasp to it. Or is that microphone distortion? I think the resonator will tame it down a bit. Nice job!
Old 10-03-2021, 02:49 AM

a little raspier than I expected, hopefully a better resonator will smooth out the sound as well as changing out the 2 leaky gaskets. I also have a test pipe on the way to replace the gutted cat. come to find out from my4dsc.com that the readily available 3" 240sx test pipe fits our cars so I ordered one.

the eBay catback was worth it for the piping as well. dude at the exhaust said it took 2 saws off blades to cut through the piping in the rear to cut out the fart can.

I'll update this post in a week or 2 when I get the resonator installed. I'm also getting my ECU flashed soon and installing a Sentra SE-R Spec V helical limited slip that I pulled out of a donor tranny. I picked it up for $300 at a salvage yard, a lot of them just sell them cheap. Only Honda stuff seems to be super pricey from what I've seen. I go on www.car-parts.com for salvaged parts.

Last edited by uptownsamcv; 10-03-2021 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:03 AM

Cool. Good idea tuning the ECU. Bolt-ons and "mods" without a tune do nothing but confuse the ECU and probably decreases performance. car-part.com is awesome. Fortunately I have so many LKQ yards near me I can find whatever I need locally. $300 is fair for a tranny, as well as a transmission.
Old 10-03-2021, 11:21 PM

That's pretty loud. Any drone on the highway?
Old 10-04-2021, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by carlem9
That's pretty loud. Any drone on the highway?
when cruising at highway speeds it's not too bad. It's definitely louder than expected but I'm going to change the resonator to see if it will bring it down a little. I'm under the assumption that the resonator that came on the catback is real cheap or just looks like a resonator.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:11 PM

Ah my catback ideas still live on in this day and age.

However I did find a 2.5" catback from eBay.

​​​​​replaced the ebay resonator with a g35 coupe res and it was full of oem sounding win!

(Food for thought, I had OBX headers, so my car really did sound like a test piped g35 with a stock exhaust, the unequal ypipe combo made me change really quick)

Also still got me a hair over 275whp.

Circa. 2016

Last edited by aackshun; 10-08-2021 at 12:08 AM.