5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

installed Maxspeed springs!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 11:53 AM

installed Maxspeed springs!!

Ok guys, I'll post pictures tomorrw. I need to wash her first.

Anyway, me and my brother(hokiemax) installed the Maxspeed springs on my Maxima.

We started at 9:00 p.m. on Friday night, and finished at 10:00 A.M. today (Saturday) morning. We worked through the whole night.

We workd 13 hours straight, with 1 one hour break.

I think I set the record for the longest time took.

It was a pain in the *** to install. We started at the rear right corner, and that alone took 5 hours. We couldn't get the shock to line up with the axle. But we figured it out. For those of you who are thinking of doing this yourself, let me outline the important points.

1) don't even think about doing this without a breaker bar. Make sure you have 1/2 inch sockets for the big bolts at the bottom of the shocks. 3/8 inch sockets and wrenched will NOT last.
(for the rest of the bolts, you can use the 3/8 inch stuff)

2) In order to line up the shock mounting holes to the axle, press down on the suspension arm. (trailing link on the rear, and A-arm on the fronts). Compressing the spring alone CANNOT line up the holes for the bolts, you MUST press down on the supesnsion with your foot while your buddy slips the bolt through the holes. This is the main reason why it took me 13 hours. I tried in endless vain to compress the springs too much.

3) to access the strut mounting nuts on the back, use a 6 inch extension, and attach a universal joint at the end. The extension attaches on the ratchet, of course.)

4) be VERY CAREFUL with the front springs. After you get the strut out, when I unlocked the center nut, the spring popped and I cut myself pretty bad. (the last coil resting on the top busing will burst). so be careful.

5) getting the front struts out after loosening all the bolts took 2 hours. The darn thing will not come out. There simply isnt' enough room for the long struts. I had to wiggle and jiggle the strut for 2 hours.

6) Putting the front struts back on is about as fun as taking it out.

Result: AWESOME!!!!!!!

The front is definetly lower than the rears. I live very much.

Pics coming tomorrow!!!!

Old 02-09-2002, 12:01 PM

A spring compressor is normally used. It makes the job faster and I must add safer. It compresses the spring so it is not preloaded on the shock strut. I can imagine how tough it must have been without one.
Congrats.
Old 02-09-2002, 12:26 PM
Banned

you didnt use a spring compressor??
Old 02-09-2002, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by PHAT2k1A.E.
you didnt use a spring compressor??
I didn't even think it was possible to do it without the spring compressor, now I know why it took you 13HRS.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:11 PM

LOL. guys guys, we used the spring compressor.

Now to clear some things up, about the popping of the front spring, the spring was compressed, but we didn't hook the uppermost coil and the bottom most coil. I think we used the middle 3 coils. As we loosened the center bolt completely, ( the spring compressors were compressing and holding the spring ), but the bushing was still stuck to the spring and would not come off. So we tapped the bushing loose with a mallet and that's when the bushing flew out and the strut shot back. I still dont understand exactly how this was possible.

It never occured that the trailing arm should be pushed down to be aligned with the shock mounting holes.. We felt like retards after realizing that.

I think I can do this in 4 hours now when it's time to lower my 98SE.
Old 02-09-2002, 02:16 PM

Re: installed Maxspeed springs!!

Originally posted by ArcticMax

Result: AWESOME!!!!!!!

The front is definetly lower than the rears. I live very much.

Pics coming tomorrow!!!!
Right on!! What about the ride and handling? I'm going in on the current group deal and I'm really excited!

Tony
Old 02-09-2002, 04:19 PM

The ride is similiar to

stock. (GXE). MAYBE a little harsh than stock.

But if I didn't know there were aftermarket springs on the car, I WOULD NOT be able to tell. The ride is very good.

Now, the handling part.

AWESOME!!

I wasn't expecting much of an improvement in handling because the ride is not as harsh as I expected it to be,

but,

the difference is dramatic. I was taking some ramps on the highway, and before, it would feel all unstable and it would lean so much. But now, the lean is almost gone, and the car just sticks to the road.

I was coming home and there is a ramp I always take. Before, the car would lean like hell(GXE suspension) and I had to slow down to 25 mph.
But today, I exited that ramp at 45 mph as if it was nothing. The lean is gone. It is amazing.

The differece you feel with the springs is greater than the RSB, definitely... But I have both
Old 02-09-2002, 06:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks for posting

Thanks for the post. I just got the Maxspeed springs on the group deal as well as the KYB AGX from Cattman. I got the AGX for $345.00, lowest price I have seen.

I am a little nervous about the install but, I have a friend who is a mechanic and he will be helping. I can't wait to get these on!

I am currently riding on GLE suspension with 83,000 miles
Do you think I will see a great improvement in handling?
DL
Old 02-09-2002, 06:28 PM

you must have gotten good results with them b/c if i spent 13 hours on something i'd expect my max to fly and have autopilot--i'm looking forward to seeing the pics
Old 02-09-2002, 07:44 PM

Re: The ride is similiar to

Now, the handling part.
AWESOME!!
the difference is dramatic.
The differece you feel with the springs is greater than the RSB, definitely... But I have both
Sweet! Good for you! I hope I have similar results.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 02-09-2002, 07:49 PM

Congrats, congrats, congrats. Sounds like 13 hours of work really paid off. You should and must be feeling pretty proud. Again great work. Pass the knowledge.

I'm looking forward to seeing the picts.
Old 02-09-2002, 08:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

how low is the drop

Quick question about those springs. How low is the drop front and rear and are you still on your stock struts?
Old 03-08-2002, 06:00 AM

Anyone know how long it would take to install @ a workshop?
Old 03-08-2002, 06:23 AM

what ever happened to the pictures?
Old 03-08-2002, 09:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ouch...

Did you print out my (and punkdork's) instructions in the How To sticky?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....3&pagenumber=4

Some important points: None of the bolts are English...they are all metric, so it is certainly safer to use the actual metric ratchet set so that you don't strip anything and get maximum leverage instead of using the English sizes you refer to. I listed all the bolt sizes in the above How To. I also compressed the springs from the three middle coils without any issues. I also didn't find it a problem for the front strut assembly to slide out after the bolts were removed. Also, didn't need a universal pivot joint for the rear bolts...just needed to drop the ratchet extension into the top most opening in the guard.

My agreements: Definitely watch for that top coil popping up a bit after the center bolt is removed...just be ready for it and you'll be fine. Also, pushing the the trailer arms up and down certainly does help when putting the bottom bolts back in, but I didn't this without a friend by leaning on the trailer arm with my elbow and using my other arm to align the strut.

I'm not ragging on your abilities or your process...I just don't want anybody to be scared away by your experience. Read the How To sticky...I am going to add a couple of notes from ArcticMax.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:49 AM

Just reiterating that I was not trying to rag on your abilities or process...Congrats on doing the install...it is a big project. I look forward to seeing the new pictures.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:54 AM

Just a thought...did you have the car held up in the air by the axle itself? That could have contributed to why you couldn't get the strut assembly out easily...the axle would have been push up tightly to the assembly without as much space to play.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Anyway, me and my brother(hokiemax) installed the Maxspeed springs on my Maxima.

We started at 9:00 p.m. on Friday night, and finished at 10:00 A.M. today (Saturday) morning. We worked through the whole night.

We workd 13 hours straight, with 1 one hour break.

I think I set the record for the longest time took.

don't worry...i have the longest time took record for y-pipe install...i think..11 hours.. (i didn't have a swival joint...no lift...blah blah)....anywayz...yeah, next time, do urself a favor by spending $40 to buy the spring compressor..
Old 03-08-2002, 10:57 AM

Congrats and enjoy the springs , Bro... it is a shame that it took so long. I plan to get my sway bar on again tonight. Have fun and Happy Motoring!
Old 03-08-2002, 02:17 PM

Re: Re: installed Maxspeed springs!!

Originally posted by irvine78

don't worry...i have the longest time took record for y-pipe install...i think..11 hours.. (i didn't have a swival joint...no lift...blah blah)....anywayz...yeah, next time, do urself a favor by spending $40 to buy the spring compressor..
spring compressors on sale at advance auto for $23