5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

swapped out ignition coils...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 02:11 PM
Got Bent?

swapped out ignition coils...

I decided to swap out the ignition coils in my car yesterday with new ones that I got from Dave Burnette. My car never pinged or showed any real signs of detonation, but I decided to go ahead and see what, if anything the new coils would do. Well, after driving 150 miles with the new coils in, they definitely made a noticeable difference. The car feels quicker especially after 5k rpm. The engine seems a little smoother also, but thats hard to tell. It seems to be eating up a bit more gas than usual, but the ECU probably needs to readjust. Perhaps the old coils were not totally bad, but maybe on the way out... If I were to compare the car now to the car with the old coils, I would say the car with the old coils was a bit sluggish.... not horrible, but still not as quick. The whole job took only like 30 minutes... the front coils took all of 5 minutes, but the rear coils were a pain... I had to unbolt the FSTB to get at them. All in all, this turned out to be pretty good... I didn't expect anything different, but I guess I was wrong
Old 02-10-2002, 02:37 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

How much were the New coils? I thought baout this but I am sure Nissan wants $50 a coil at least.
Old 02-10-2002, 03:45 PM

Re: swapped out ignition coils...

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
I decided to swap out the ignition coils in my car yesterday with new ones that I got from Dave Burnette. My car never pinged or showed any real signs of detonation, but I decided to go ahead and see what, if anything the new coils would do. Well, after driving 150 miles with the new coils in, they definitely made a noticeable difference. The car feels quicker especially after 5k rpm. The engine seems a little smoother also, but thats hard to tell. It seems to be eating up a bit more gas than usual, but the ECU probably needs to readjust. Perhaps the old coils were not totally bad, but maybe on the way out... If I were to compare the car now to the car with the old coils, I would say the car with the old coils was a bit sluggish.... not horrible, but still not as quick. The whole job took only like 30 minutes... the front coils took all of 5 minutes, but the rear coils were a pain... I had to unbolt the FSTB to get at them. All in all, this turned out to be pretty good... I didn't expect anything different, but I guess I was wrong
Is there a TSB on this yet? I was wondering if my Max is effected by this (built around 3/00). Thanks for the info.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:22 PM
Got Bent?

Dave Burnette has them for $40 a piece, so in the end, $240 for the set. There is a TSB on coil failure, but unless your engine is acting screwy or pinging badly, I doubt a service dept would go and replace them so easily. Plus if you have mods, then struggling with some serivice depts. isn't really worth it... I just decided to go ahead and do it just in case... turned out to be a good thing. Mine was built 4/00 or 5/00 I think...
Old 02-10-2002, 06:44 PM

Dave Burnette has them for $40 a piece, so in the end, $240 for the set. There is a TSB on coil failure, but unless your engine is acting screwy or pinging badly, I doubt a service dept would go and replace them so easily. Plus if you have mods, then struggling with some serivice depts. isn't really worth it... I just decided to go ahead and do it just in case... turned out to be a good thing. Mine was built 4/00 or 5/00 I think...
Man, you're full of good info! I haven't noticed any pinging but have noticed a drag feeling accelerating in 5th gear. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the coils. Thanks again for the great info.
Old 02-10-2002, 06:47 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by Rich5Spd2K

Man, you're full of good info! I haven't noticed any pinging but have noticed a drag feeling accelerating in 5th gear. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the coils. Thanks again for the great info.
Thanks! I appreciate it
Old 02-10-2002, 10:18 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Woohoo! Now go find Steve and whoop on that 4th gen.
Old 02-11-2002, 04:50 AM
Got Bent?

man... after driving this morning to work, I can definitely say that there is a difference. I had mainly driven on the highway before this past weekend, so I couldn't tell a huge difference... but after taking the back roads into work, i say there is a significant gain in power. There may not be any ignition upgrades for the maxima yet, but maybe for eariler build 5th gens, this may be the best upgrade so far... plus it's stock
Old 02-11-2002, 06:24 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Ahh grasshoppa, you have seen the light.

How many times did I say it made a difference ?

SHizz Man...
yeah... I remember now... just got lazy... but they are in now so yo its ok

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2002, 07:23 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by yo_its_ok
Ahh grasshoppa, you have seen the light.

How many times did I say it made a difference ?

SHizz Man...
This grasshoppa still learning... maybe he'll finally see the light.
Old 02-11-2002, 07:26 AM

I had my coils done

After a check engine light came on. So far the car feels a tad slower and I am having to call Nissan direct cuz my fuel mileage has dropped. Dealer worked on it again, adjusted cruise control linkage (which did get rid of my slow down -speed up routine) and per tech in Ca. (Nissan headquarters) upgraded firmware to latest version. The cable adjustment and firmware was done on Friday. I put a thousand miles on this weekend; gas mileage is up to 23.xx, close to 24. Before the coils were replaced I was close to 27. I have also had new Michelin Pilot a/s the day after the coils; it has a slightly larger circumference so it turns less than the OE Bridgestone, but not this much. However the car has never driven better, anybody that can get the TSB for Fuel issues(5-speed), GET IT DONE!!! . So should I be happy and let the mileage go or do I take it to another dealer that doesn't fight every thing I ask? They had to be force to call Nissan on my behalf (actually Nissan had to call them even after they were told to call Nissan)

Mark
Old 02-11-2002, 12:56 PM

My Car was built in June 00'. My car hesitates sometimes so I might have my dealer take a look at the coils. UMD did u replace the spark plugs also???
Old 02-11-2002, 01:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: swapped out ignition coils...

So are these upgraded coils or are they the stock ones brand new?

Deac
Old 02-11-2002, 04:27 PM
Got Bent?

the coils are stock... just a newer batch... I didn't replace the plugs or even pull them out... The coils had a different white code stamped on them from the old ones... that is the only difference I could tell...
Old 02-11-2002, 04:35 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Woohoo! Now go find Steve and whoop on that 4th gen.

Modded 5th Gen Autotragic vs. Stock 4th Gen 5spd...should be interesting
Old 02-11-2002, 06:16 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by SteVTEC

Modded 5th Gen Autotragic vs. Stock 4th Gen 5spd...should be interesting
exactly
Old 02-12-2002, 05:56 AM

Re: I had my coils done

Originally posted by opimax
After a check engine light came on. So far the car feels a tad slower and I am having to call Nissan direct cuz my fuel mileage has dropped. Dealer worked on it again, adjusted cruise control linkage (which did get rid of my slow down -speed up routine) and per tech in Ca. (Nissan headquarters) upgraded firmware to latest version. The cable adjustment and firmware was done on Friday. I put a thousand miles on this weekend; gas mileage is up to 23.xx, close to 24. Before the coils were replaced I was close to 27. I have also had new Michelin Pilot a/s the day after the coils; it has a slightly larger circumference so it turns less than the OE Bridgestone, but not this much. However the car has never driven better, anybody that can get the TSB for Fuel issues(5-speed), GET IT DONE!!! . So should I be happy and let the mileage go or do I take it to another dealer that doesn't fight every thing I ask? They had to be force to call Nissan on my behalf (actually Nissan had to call them even after they were told to call Nissan)

Mark
yeah, you should be happy and just shut up and drive that thing
Old 02-12-2002, 05:58 AM

UMD -

I'm particularly interested in your comment that you gained alot after 5k rpms.

I've got a big power loss problem after 5k rpms (can you say 25hp) and the car is going into the shop this week for it.

Any reason why the coils would have more impact above 5k than below?

I'm pretty sure I have some dysfunction in the variable intake runners - just don't know what it is.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:57 AM
Sly

Originally posted by Max_Gator
UMD -

I'm particularly interested in your comment that you gained alot after 5k rpms.

I've got a big power loss problem after 5k rpms (can you say 25hp) and the car is going into the shop this week for it.

Any reason why the coils would have more impact above 5k than below?

I'm pretty sure I have some dysfunction in the variable intake runners - just don't know what it is.
If the timing is off a bit due to coils approaching failure, it could feel like timing is being retarded at high RPM, at least that's what it felt like for me. Before I replaced mine (even before my Y-pipe issues), it felt like I'd lose a lot of power up top at WOT. After I did the coil swap about two weeks ago, acceleration smoothed out throughout the RPM range and not a single ping so far. I'm still waiting for my fuel economy will go back up though.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:50 AM

the coils are stock... just a newer batch... I didn't replace the plugs or even pull them out... The coils had a different white code stamped on them from the old ones... that is the only difference I could tell...
Do you have the code handy? My dealer supposingly replaced my coils but the car is still pinging. I knew I should have marked the old coils before taking it to the shop
Old 02-12-2002, 03:04 PM

any thoughts of a writeup on the coil install?

btw, what the he|| is pinging??
Old 02-12-2002, 03:23 PM

So...is there a difference between say, getting brand new stock coils and getting the Stillen Ignition amplifier? Are they the same thing or what? You sound pretty impressed so I want to see whats' what!!!

Deac
Old 02-13-2002, 05:07 AM
Got Bent?

Gator - if the coils are bad, then timing will probably be scaled back by the ECU to prevent detonation... this will be more noticeable at higher rpms....

Sly - exactly...

N1smo - the only difference between old and new coils I noticed was the white stamped number on them....

serin - writeup? Front coils are cake. Take off the plastic cover on the valve cover and then use a 10mm socket to remove bolt. Pull out coil and unplug. Replace with new coil and bolt it back on. Rears are the same way, just in a tighter spot. Don't drop the bolts in the engine bay... you may need to remove the FSTB also to get clearance...

Deac - if the coils themselves are bad, then an amp would probably not do much good
Old 02-13-2002, 09:42 AM
Sly

Originally posted by N1sMO

Do you have the code handy? My dealer supposingly replaced my coils but the car is still pinging. I knew I should have marked the old coils before taking it to the shop
The white stamped number on my old coils is 955. I don't remember exaclty what the new number was but it's something like 1Y14. So my guess is the first number is a year code, since my car was built in '99 and the replacement coils were probably manufactured in '01.

Another thing I noticed was my new coils had a white dot printed on top, whereas my old ones don't.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:52 AM
Got Bent?

the stamped number on the old coils i had was 3 digits... 4-something or other... the new ones are 4 digits as sly mentioned...
Old 02-13-2002, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by Sly

The white stamped number on my old coils is 955. I don't remember exaclty what the new number was but it's something like 1Y14. So my guess is the first number is a year code, since my car was built in '99 and the replacement coils were probably manufactured in '01.

Another thing I noticed was my new coils had a white dot printed on top, whereas my old ones don't.
Thanks for the reply, I think mine has a white dot printed on them also. I'll have to check the number out later.....
Old 02-14-2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by N1sMO

Thanks for the reply, I think mine has a white dot printed on them also. I'll have to check the number out later.....
I just pulled one of mine out. It has a White do on the top and has 0525 stamped in white lettering. Stamped into the black plastic is 22448 2Y005. Are these the new coils or the old ones?
Old 02-14-2002, 06:40 PM
Sly

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

I just pulled one of mine out. It has a White do on the top and has 0525 stamped in white lettering. Stamped into the black plastic is 22448 2Y005. Are these the new coils or the old ones?
I'd guess that you have the new coils. The 22448 2Y005 (2Y000 for rear)that's molded into the plastic is the part number and did not change but the batch number is higher.
Old 02-15-2002, 04:42 AM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

that is the part #... and as far as I know, that did not change. The white stamped number is where the difference is.
Old 02-21-2002, 03:26 PM

Last night I swapped out the ignition coils. My engine now revs smoother and charges up the RPM range a tad quicker. My automagic trans shifts a bit quicker too. I paid for my i-coils too, as my (no longer) Nissan Dealer said that nothing showed up on the Consult-OBD.
I think this is one "mod" worthy for those 2k Maximas that ping.
The part number on the box was 22448-2Y005 & 22448-2Y000. My old i-coils had "992" printed on all six. The new ones have a silver dot, and the fronts had "2125" printed, the rears had "1225" printed on them. I have 33,500 miles on my 2k SE.
I'm thinking of sending Nissan Corporate the receipt (from ABC Nissan, Phoenix AZ) just to see if they would reimburse me. But I'm not expecting anything.
Late,