5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anybody else have this problem???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 09:09 PM

Anybody else have this problem???

Okay, so about 3 months ago my passengers side headlight went out. Just the low beam though, the hi's still worked. I had only had them at most 7 months and theyre PIAA's so I was pretty suprised when it happened. I replaced the bulb and just last night it went out again, and that was a brand new bulb that was installed only 3 months ago!!! Im not getting any high watt bulbs, just the 55/110's. The other one is doing fine. I can only think of a couple of problems...

Could it be something to do with the stiffness of the strut on the right side causing harsh vibrations to the bulbs resulting in the failure of the low beam filiment?

Could it be the wiring?

Could it be that ive just had really bad luck and got a couple of bad bulbs?

And yes, I made sure not to touch the bulbs when I put them in

Either way im taking my car into service and reaming them about that and all the other stuff (The 50mpg drop in gas mileage, and the squeeky brakes).

It sux that we end up having stu[id little problems with our cars like this. I honestly will never buy a nother Nissan as long as I live. I dont care if they make a 4000hp pocket rocket that only costs 10 bucks, im not funding thier stupidity.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:14 PM

Re: Anybody else have this problem???

Originally posted by Maxima-Ness
Okay, so about 3 months ago my passengers side headlight went out. Just the low beam though, the hi's still worked. I had only had them at most 7 months and theyre PIAA's so I was pretty suprised when it happened. I replaced the bulb and just last night it went out again, and that was a brand new bulb that was installed only 3 months ago!!! Im not getting any high watt bulbs, just the 55/110's. The other one is doing fine. I can only think of a couple of problems...

Could it be something to do with the stiffness of the strut on the right side causing harsh vibrations to the bulbs resulting in the failure of the low beam filiment?

Could it be the wiring?

Could it be that ive just had really bad luck and got a couple of bad bulbs?

And yes, I made sure not to touch the bulbs when I put them in

Either way im taking my car into service and reaming them about that and all the other stuff (The 50mpg drop in gas mileage, and the squeeky brakes).

It sux that we end up having stu[id little problems with our cars like this. I honestly will never buy a nother Nissan as long as I live. I dont care if they make a 4000hp pocket rocket that only costs 10 bucks, im not funding thier stupidity.
Reason: PIAA's suck.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:53 PM

Check the connector to the bulb......there is supposed to be a rubber boot that seels it from moister. Problem is that the things are bizzarely hard to notice and "dissappear". Clean out the plug with connect cleaner, lube it up with lithium real good and get a new bulb
Old 02-14-2002, 08:11 AM

do you use your "auto" feature?

I saw a message from PIAA that said this auto feature turing their bubls on and off will make them burn out.

(or maybe it is an excuse for their overpriced, poor quality products)
Old 02-14-2002, 11:26 AM

I don't have PIAA's...I've been using the Cool Blues and also the Wagner Lazer Blues. These lights seem to not last long at all. Either brand. I originally had the Cool Blues and actually they lasted for about 6 months and one burned out. I replaced both with the Lazer Blues and they only lasted about 2 months...one went out about 2 weeks ago in a storm...I stopped at a VIP and got a pack of CB's for 10.00 but only replaced the one. This past Tuesday I went thru a car wash and the other one went out.....

I think the after market "fancy" bulbs aren't quite up to the quality as their less expensive run of the mill cousins
Old 02-14-2002, 11:41 AM

Okay, so about 3 months ago my passengers side headlight went out. Just the low beam though, ...

Wait a minute... am I missing something here? You're a Nissan Dealer and you won't ever buy another Nissan ?
Old 02-14-2002, 01:00 PM

I had my Piaa burn out after 7 months too on the passenger side. i posted about it a month ago and still can't Piaa to give me another one for warrenty.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:16 PM

Did You Buy Them On Ebay?

Originally posted by bad2rock
I had my Piaa burn out after 7 months too on the passenger side. i posted about it a month ago and still can't Piaa to give me another one for warrenty.
Did you buy them on Ebay? I ended up buying mine at a local sports car shop and they will replace them free for up to one year.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:38 PM

My thoughts exactly!