5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Programming chip in key

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 10:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Programming chip in key

I just bought a new uncut key for my 2000 Nissan Maxima and they want to charge me 40.00 to program the chip in the key. Is there another way to do this or do I have to go to the dealer to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Programming chip in key

Originally posted by JPlaya
I just bought a new uncut key for my 2000 Nissan Maxima and they want to charge me 40.00 to program the chip in the key. Is there another way to do this or do I have to go to the dealer to do it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
yeah im also interested since i cant seem to find my second pair of key anywhere, i need to buy a new key and remote. Any suggestions where to get them cheap, and hoiw to reprogram, cuz i think they key is like $100 at the dealer.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:47 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

I think the only two that can do it is the dealership and a locksmith either way your spending $$$.
Old 02-19-2002, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by myownnismo
I think the only two that can do it is the dealership and a locksmith either way your spending $$$.
what about reprogramming the remotes. Like if i buy 2 from Ebay. Will i be able to program it for my own car? or will i have to go to the dealer and pay him mad $$ to do it for me?
Old 02-19-2002, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by zgrm100

what about reprogramming the remotes. Like if i buy 2 from Ebay. Will i be able to program it for my own car? or will i have to go to the dealer and pay him mad $$ to do it for me?
Reprogramming remotes is a sinch. Just search the forum, someone has it up here.

Dixit
Old 02-19-2002, 06:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Reprogramming remotes is a sinch. Just search the forum, someone has it up here.

Dixit
Hey BigDog, did you get tired of the black?
That's a nice blue! Alot of you guys have some nice photoshop skills.

Hotnicks
Old 02-19-2002, 08:08 AM

you have to get it done at the dealer since you need to put the key in a machine to program it i work at a hardware store on weekends and we cut keys and nissan is one of the only cars that you cant program in the ignition, so you have to suck up what ever the dealer wants to charge
Old 02-19-2002, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by dm7297
you have to get it done at the dealer since you need to put the key in a machine to program it i work at a hardware store on weekends and we cut keys and nissan is one of the only cars that you cant program in the ignition, so you have to suck up what ever the dealer wants to charge
your sig pic doesn't work. I think your missing a / on the last img

[/img]
Old 02-19-2002, 01:24 PM

I'm pretty sure you have to take it to the dealer and have it sent out.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by theMax

your sig pic doesn't work. I think your missing a / on the last img

[/img]
ya i know i dont think it works either way, i donno maybe its yahoo
Old 02-20-2002, 10:12 AM

Re: Programming chip in key

Originally posted by JPlaya
or...

Get the key cut at a hardware store and tell the dealer the key doesn't work anymore. Then you should be able to get it reporgrammed for FREE?
Old 02-25-2002, 05:31 AM
vettefool

2001 maxima

wife lost her key and remote $160 for replacement at dealer. they had to program key to car with a gadget connected under dash.

Old 02-25-2002, 07:47 AM

Although you can program the remote control key fobs yourself, programming the keys with the chip transponder REQUIRES going to the dealer. They need all of your keys, and the car itself because the car has to be hooked up to Nissan CONSULT system for programming. All key codes first have to be cleared and then each key must be re-registered with the system. Unless you have a CONSULT system you cannot do this yourself.

I have the 2K2 shop manual on CD, and there is NO "non-CONSULT" way to program additional keys. They system can handle 5 keys. They give you 3 with the car (2 master plus 1 valet) so there is room in the computer for 2 additional keys.
Old 02-25-2002, 02:16 PM
ceazer458

Chip in Key

The dealer shouldn't charge you more $75, that's with programming. My father in law sells nissans and he informed me of that.

Old 02-25-2002, 02:34 PM

Ya, I was just about to say that... it seems more like an issue of programming the car, (rather than programming the key). The key is a passive fob, so there's really not much you can do to "reprogram" the re-radiated EMF... It's the car you need to teach to recognize the key, and unlike with the active fob, there doesn't seem to be any "do it yourself" type of method... (ie.. for the active fob (ie. remote), there's a sequence... something like place key in ignition, press fob, open door, close door, etc. )

-Tom Z.

PS.. i like the idea of getting the key cut, and then taking it to your dealer to fix under warranty... (I think they would have to do it for free if it just "stopped" working...!! :-)

Originally posted by GregP
Although you can program the remote control key fobs yourself, programming the keys with the chip transponder REQUIRES going to the dealer. They need all of your keys, and the car itself because the car has to be hooked up to Nissan CONSULT system for programming. All key codes first have to be cleared and then each key must be re-registered with the system. Unless you have a CONSULT system you cannot do this yourself.

I have the 2K2 shop manual on CD, and there is NO "non-CONSULT" way to program additional keys. They system can handle 5 keys. They give you 3 with the car (2 master plus 1 valet) so there is room in the computer for 2 additional keys.
Old 02-25-2002, 06:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Programming chip in key

Originally posted by theMax

or...

Get the key cut at a hardware store and tell the dealer the key doesn't work anymore. Then you should be able to get it reporgrammed for FREE?
When you take your key to the dealer, tell them that you put it to close to one of the magnetic things like they have at Best Buy or Hifi Buys or the top end electronic stores. Those will mess the key up I'm sure. And if the don't for real, what does the dealer know.

"Hey man, I left the store and then my car wouldn't start...mustiv' gotten the key close to a magnet or sumpthin'"
Old 02-25-2002, 06:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Programming chip in key

Yeah... supposedly they do, from stories people have told here... (which makes sense).. those pads are made to break the circuits in anti-theft devices, so they will undoubtedly distort the radiating element in your passive fob if you place it too closely... if significantly distorted, your car will no longer "recognize" the key's distinctive emf, and your car would have to be re-programmed to recognize the new signature.

-Tom Z.

Originally posted by JBWhitley

When you take your key to the dealer, tell them that you put it to close to one of the magnetic things like they have at Best Buy or Hifi Buys or the top end electronic stores. Those will mess the key up I'm sure. And if the don't for real, what does the dealer know.

"Hey man, I left the store and then my car wouldn't start...mustiv' gotten the key close to a magnet or sumpthin'"
Old 07-03-2016, 05:02 AM

Curious, Since I got new ECM and the car won't start. I don't have key fob. Do I need to reprogram ECM for my key chip? If so, is there any reprogram such as pedal produce or key ignition produce or I have to take it to dealership? I have 4th gen and I am pretty sure its same issue as 5th gen.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by yippzter
Curious, Since I got new ECM and the car won't start. I don't have key fob. Do I need to reprogram ECM for my key chip? If so, is there any reprogram such as pedal produce or key ignition produce or I have to take it to dealership? I have 4th gen and I am pretty sure its same issue as 5th gen.
New ECM sounds nice!
Why did you get a new ECM?
Did you need a new IACV too?
Old 07-03-2016, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
New ECM sounds nice!
Why did you get a new ECM?
Did you need a new IACV too?
Not really new ECM. I got it from junkyard. Why do i need new IACV? I am trying to start my car up but its start up for 2 seconds then shut down every time. I thought its may be need reprogram my chip.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:27 AM

Not really new ECM. I got it from junkyard. Why do i need new IACV? I am trying to start my car up but its start up for 2 seconds then shut down every time. I thought its may be need reprogram my chip.
Ignore Maximawreck12. He's a troll who looks at the FSM and throws random things out there to sound smart. His actual knowledge is close to zero. He'll just waste your time.

The answer for the 5th gen cars is that the ECM has to be programmed to the car/key. I'm not 100% sure on the 4th gen but it's probably the same.

The dealer can do it but they charge a lot. Some mechanics can do it if they have the right tools. The shop I work for can do it in about 5 minutes.

You can also call around to the local auto locksmiths. We have an Ace Unlocks here that does mobile locksmith work. They can do it for around $40.

The rest of this thread is 14 years old and no longer accurate. The dealer is no longer the only option.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:54 AM

Your lucky to find one at a junkyard for a fraction of the cost.
For the 2001 Max it's listed at $965.

Last edited by maximatech12; 07-03-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
Your lucky to find one at a junkyard for a fraction of the cost.
For the 2001 Max it's listed at $965.
Ebay is a good source too. You'd have to be special to pay new prices at a dealer
Old 07-03-2016, 11:26 AM

does he need a new IACV too?
Could the ECM on 4th gen have this issue?
Could the ECM have been damaged by removing ECM harness/fuel injector harness without disconnecting battery?
Old 07-03-2016, 12:46 PM

Look into Datascan to program your keys and some other goodies
Old 07-03-2016, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Ignore Maximawreck12. He's a troll who looks at the FSM and throws random things out there to sound smart. His actual knowledge is close to zero. He'll just waste your time.

The answer for the 5th gen cars is that the ECM has to be programmed to the car/key. I'm not 100% sure on the 4th gen but it's probably the same.

The dealer can do it but they charge a lot. Some mechanics can do it if they have the right tools. The shop I work for can do it in about 5 minutes.

You can also call around to the local auto locksmiths. We have an Ace Unlocks here that does mobile locksmith work. They can do it for around $40.

The rest of this thread is 14 years old and no longer accurate. The dealer is no longer the only option.
Can you tell me whats produce for rerprogram ecm to key chip? I dont have key fob. Its might be same as 5th gen. Not hurt to try.

What happened was I forgot to disconnect battery before replace new starter then its got spark by touching ground then went through ECM and ECM got fried. So I got new ECM from junkyard. I replaced new ECM before disconnect battery and its start up for 2 seconds then shut down every time. I thought its might be need reprogram ECM to my key chip. I do not have key fob. I am trying to look for produce for reprogram ecm to key chip.

For datascan, whats website for it? I couldnt find it online. I looked up on google and its about offer retails stuff lol.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:53 PM

The reprogram doesn't have anything to do with the kefob.

The reprogram isn't something you can do yourself. It requires special (expensive) equipment that only professionals can really justify owning.

I'm not familiar with Datascan so that may be an exception to what I said above.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:26 PM

Can you tell me whats produce for rerprogram ecm to key chip? I dont have key fob. Its might be same as 5th gen. Not hurt to try.

What happened was I forgot to disconnect battery before replace new starter then its got spark by touching ground then went through ECM and ECM got fried. So I got new ECM from junkyard. I replaced new ECM before disconnect battery and its start up for 2 seconds then shut down every time. I thought its might be need reprogram ECM to my key chip. I do not have key fob. I am trying to look for produce for reprogram ecm to key chip.

For datascan, whats website for it? I couldnt find it online. I looked up on google and its about offer retails stuff lol.
I have not used Datascan, but I happen to have a link to the Datascan site: http://www.nissandatascan.com/ . Datascan looks like a half-baked thing to me, so be aware. There are .org members that have been using it, and perhaps they might help you.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:56 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
I have not used Datascan, but I happen to have a link to the Datascan site: http://www.nissandatascan.com/ . Datascan looks like a half-baked thing to me, so be aware. There are .org members that have been using it, and perhaps they might help you.
It works great and logs decent enough.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My son broke one of our two keys. I like having a spare, so I went to the lock smith and had them cut an Ilco key X237 DA34 blank to match my remaining key. It fit the ignition perfectly, but of course would not start the car without having the old key with the chip near the ignition. My old broken key's plastic was already cracked, so I just split it and got the chip out. A little grinding and file work on the new key and the chip fit right in. I fit the new key with chip into the split original plastic then sealed it up with JB weld, after curing it was sanded down and painted black. Works perfect and cost me $3.25 and about an hours work.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi all

Just want to give you a fresh 2018 experience, I needed a 2nd key for my 2002 Maxima.

I went to Ace Hardware, they do it for 80$ all included (key, programming, everything)

The way they do is they plug some mini computer to the car and register all the old and new keys to the car.

I had quote from Nissan : 380$
Craiglist various locksmith : between 60-90 $

Now i have 2 keys, if i loose one I'm still good.
I think if you loose your only key, then you are screwed, it costs several hundred bucks at least.

Thanks
Old 08-18-2018, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by dmax38
Hi all

Just want to give you a fresh 2018 experience, I needed a 2nd key for my 2002 Maxima.

I went to Ace Hardware, they do it for 80$ all included (key, programming, everything)

The way they do is they plug some mini computer to the car and register all the old and new keys to the car.

I had quote from Nissan : 380$
Craiglist various locksmith : between 60-90 $

Now i have 2 keys, if i loose one I'm still good.
I think if you loose your only key, then you are screwed, it costs several hundred bucks at least.

Thanks
+1 to Ace Hardware - Also some of the The Home Depot stores provides the service. I run with keys made at Ace and keep the originals in a safe place. I understand that duplicates can only be made from originals. It pays to run with a backup chipkey copy in the event you lose the key.

Others have noted above the NDS2 will reprogram car and keys using a procedure like the dealer has. I've done this procedure once on a 5th gen many years ago using my home computer and NDS2. There is an investment for the software and cable required to communicate with the ECU.. So it's just easier to run with a spare chip key and don't risk losing the original.