5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Recommended Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 03:57 PM
JDB

Recommended Maintenance?

Guys,

Does anyone know when Nissan officially recommends having the fuel injectors cleaned by the dealer? My dealer says this is recommended maintenance every 12,000 miles, but I can't find any mention of this procedure on the Nissan web site. Even the Premium maintenance schedule on the Nissan site doesn't say anything about injector cleaning at any mileage. Does anyone know anything about this?

(And yes I'm the guy who posted a question a couple of weeks ago asking if I'd been ripped off by my dealer. I just got my car back this afternoon after having all 6 coils replaced. I'll post more info later.)

Thanks,

JDB

Old 02-13-2002, 04:00 PM

12K sounds like PAUBS... Pure And Utter Bull ****.

I never saw any mention this service requirement.

Go hunt a bit on Google and you will find some Nissan dealers that post the recommended service.

I am at 36K and never had the injectors done, not to mention that Nissan and many .org members recommend NEVER to use commercial cleaners (STP / Kleenflow / JoeCrappyCleaners....)
Old 02-13-2002, 06:33 PM

Re: Recommended Maintenance?

Originally posted by JDB
Guys,

Does anyone know when Nissan officially recommends having the fuel injectors cleaned by the dealer? My dealer says this is recommended maintenance every 12,000 miles, but I can't find any mention of this procedure on the Nissan web site. Even the Premium maintenance schedule on the Nissan site doesn't say anything about injector cleaning at any mileage. Does anyone know anything about this?

JDB
NEVER, this is not scheduled maintanence. You only do this if there is a problem. The fuel filter should prevent the injectors from getting clogged.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:47 PM

All BS!

The dealer is just trying to get more money from you. Nissan does not recomend routine injector cleaning. Is this the same dealer that told you that you had carbon build up at 12,000 miles?
Old 02-13-2002, 07:06 PM
JDB

Re: All BS!

Originally posted by sascuderi
The dealer is just trying to get more money from you. Nissan does not recomend routine injector cleaning. Is this the same dealer that told you that you had carbon build up at 12,000 miles?
Yes. And of course the injector cleaning didn't fix the problem. 7 days later the symptoms recurred and this time I told them about the TSB on the coils. They replaced all 6 coils, so now we'll see what happens. When I asked for a refund of my $183 for the injector cleaning, he said it was routine maintenance that needed to be done at 12K anyway.

When I pushed the issue, he said if I was going to question everything he says, I should find a new dealer...

Old 02-13-2002, 09:27 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: All BS!

Before you do anything else, you should try to get him to WRITE DOWN that the injector issue was "regular maintenance" then call Nissan Corp. Send them the bill. If you already paid it and you charged it, call the credit card company and tell them you're disputing it and they shouldn't pay it out. They'll send you paperwork (takes 10 minutes to fill out) where you have to list "why." Write "FRAUD" and send it back. That goes to the dealer. Call the dealer back and tell him what action you took... if you tell him what you're *going* to do, he can make it harder.

...then find a new dealer.

Originally posted by JDB

When I pushed the issue, he said if I was going to question everything he says, I should find a new dealer...
Old 02-13-2002, 11:29 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

i've been fed that line too...

the 12K injector mx is a $12 bottle of Nissan branded injector cleaner. From what I know, they simply pour 1/4 to 1/2 of the recommended dose (depending on how much gas you bring it in with). They dont use full strength because that can actually cause problems with the injectors (even with the nissan stuff).

at least thats what I was told. I probably need coils too..
Old 02-13-2002, 11:43 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

or...

you could just ask them to show you were it says that in their FSM. (factory service manual). I bet you dollars to doughnuts it wont mention it. They should be able to walk over to a PC, pull it up on the ROM and show you where it said 12K mx for injectors. They are not gonna be happy about that.. but that will settle it, no?
Old 02-14-2002, 05:39 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: Re: All BS!

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
Before you do anything else, you should try to get him to WRITE DOWN that the injector issue was "regular maintenance" then call Nissan Corp. Send them the bill. If you already paid it and you charged it, call the credit card company and tell them you're disputing it and they shouldn't pay it out. They'll send you paperwork (takes 10 minutes to fill out) where you have to list "why." Write "FRAUD" and send it back. That goes to the dealer. Call the dealer back and tell him what action you took... if you tell him what you're *going* to do, he can make it harder.

...then find a new dealer.

I second this motion! Sounds like the way to go. It's obvious that the dealer your going to likes to provide unnecessary service to your vehicle. That fuel injector cleaning did not fix your problem, nor is it reccomended maintenance by Nissan. Go after them!!

And find another dealer to service your car.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:34 AM

I agree with Bert. If you use Chevron gas and occasionally put in some Techron injector cleaner you should be good for the life of the car.
I had an 89 SE for 11 years, used cheap Arco gas and never had the injectors mechanically cleaned.
This dealer just wants business from un-informed people.
Well now you're informed
Old 02-14-2002, 07:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: All BS!

Originally posted by JDB

Yes. And of course the injector cleaning didn't fix the problem. 7 days later the symptoms recurred and this time I told them about the TSB on the coils. They replaced all 6 coils, so now we'll see what happens. When I asked for a refund of my $183 for the injector cleaning, he said it was routine maintenance that needed to be done at 12K anyway.

That sucks the way the treated you...find a new one.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:50 AM

Re: i've been fed that line too...

Originally posted by TimW
the 12K injector mx is a $12 bottle of Nissan branded injector cleaner. From what I know, they simply pour 1/4 to 1/2 of the recommended dose (depending on how much gas you bring it in with). They dont use full strength because that can actually cause problems with the injectors (even with the nissan stuff).

at least thats what I was told. I probably need coils too..
and they charged $183 for pouring a bottle of stuff in the gas tank. deelerz suk!