5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

"Service Engine Soon" Help !

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 04:27 PM

"Service Engine Soon" Help !

Well today while driving on the freeway all of a sudden I looked at the dash and the service engine soon light popped up, I kept driving and the car seemed fine. When I got home I checked the fuel cap and it was screwed on tight. I haven't done any engine mods and the engine seems to be running fine. Any suggestions, especially from people who also had this problem? Im probably gonna take it to a dealer either tommorow or sometime soon. All this should be covered under the warranty right ? I dont trust the dealer and dont want them giving me some BS saying this is some special case or it doesnt cover. Cuz according to the manual its some kind of emission problem and emission warranties are usually cover the longest. Any suggestions or things I should ask when I bring the car in?

BTW: I have 20k miles on my car and its a 2k GLE.
Thanks.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:36 PM

Re: "Service Engine Soon" Help !

Originally posted by Max2K
Well today while driving on the freeway all of a sudden I looked at the dash and the service engine soon light popped up, I kept driving and the car seemed fine. When I got home I checked the fuel cap and it was screwed on tight. I haven't done any engine mods and the engine seems to be running fine. Any suggestions, especially from people who also had this problem? Im probably gonna take it to a dealer either tommorow or sometime soon. All this should be covered under the warranty right ? I dont trust the dealer and dont want them giving me some BS saying this is some special case or it doesnt cover. Cuz according to the manual its some kind of emission problem and emission warranties are usually cover the longest. Any suggestions or things I should ask when I bring the car in?

BTW: I have 20k miles on my car and its a 2k GLE.
Thanks.
take it in to check the code. same thing with my 2k at ~40k miles. original emissions programming had the acceptable limits of the cat set too narrow. dealer can reprogram it so it'll accept higher variances. no problem getting them to do it either. and yes, it's under warranty.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Either reset the ECU yourself and see if it returns. If not, then dont worry about it. If it does, then take it in to get the code checked out.

If you are afraid to reset it, then only choice is to take it in now.

Dixit
Old 03-02-2002, 01:01 PM

Well guys thanks for the inputs, I thought Id give u guys a quick update. I took the car in to the dealer and I told him bout my problem and the guy told me tat there might be a service charge i told him bout a thing called warranty and was determined to use it, so he had the tech look at my car and told me tat the oxygen sensor was broken and it was under warranty. My gut feeling is tat all they did was reset the ecu, but at least i didnt pay penny and hopefully my problem has been solved. I hate taking the car to the dealer they always seem shady
Old 03-02-2002, 06:01 PM

Strange. My 99's light came on. Checked the codes. Came back cylendar 6 misfire. I reset and it came on a few weeks later. Took it to the dealer and they had to call Nissan since they didn't know what the codes ment. Nissan said replace the o2 sensors. Dealer put two in under warranty. I checked to make sure they were new. Front was bad, back was going bad. Well, here we are today and the lights on again. I have a feeling it's the o2 sensors again. I thought it might be because of the rt cat or something. Anyhow, were you racing or running the car hard. For some reason, the problems occurs when I have the traction control off and am running the car hard.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:01 AM

If I had read this is time, I would of bet my house it was the oxygen sensor. Same thing happened to me a month ago. Apparently, they are known for this....I mean KNOWN!!!!......Like Honda's are known for making very loud noises.
Old 03-03-2002, 05:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What method do you use to reset the ECU?
Old 03-03-2002, 09:33 AM

Damn same thing happened to me last night.
I was coming back from my g/f parent's house when we finally started on the highway that brings be back to my apartment the SES light came on. I checked everything and it's fine. It must be that damn cat, or one of my o2 sensors are out. Oh well. Either way Warrenty will fix it.

To answer your question on resetting the ECU.
Unplug the negative cable from the batter for at least 45 minutes.