5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

whats better Konis or KYB GR2s for our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 08:10 AM

whats better Konis or KYB GR2s for our cars?

i got eibachs and its time for me to get new struts

what u guys think are better?

the Konis or KYB GR2s
Old 02-22-2002, 10:29 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Konis will ride tighter then the GR2's.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: whats better Konis or KYB GR2s for our cars?

Originally posted by psing23

the Konis or KYB GR2s
I don't think the GR2's are available yet for the 5th gen...I thought both GR2 and AGX were due out this summer.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:35 AM

Re: Re: whats better Konis or KYB GR2s for our cars?

Originally posted by MichaelAE

I don't think the GR2's are available yet for the 5th gen...I thought both GR2 and AGX were due out this summer.

AGX's are now availabe at a ridiculous price of about $600 shipped from Cattman.......anyone know where to get them cheaper?
Old 02-22-2002, 10:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: whats better Konis or KYB GR2s for our cars?

Originally posted by acMAX
AGX's are now availabe at a ridiculous price of about $600 shipped from Cattman.......anyone know where to get them cheaper?
Yeah, but those are the old AGX's modified. KYB is, theoretically, releasing an AGX actually designed for the 5th gen as opposed to buying the 4th gen adapted by Cattman.

I'd wait, particularly since shox.com is going to sell the AGX at just over $400.
Old 02-22-2002, 11:02 AM

GR2s are available for 5th Gens... AGX are gonna be available during the summer... the cattman price is rediculous... im prob gonna get konis in the mean time and wait for the AGX to come out from KYB and get them when they come out then...
Old 02-22-2002, 11:41 AM

Re: whats better Konis or KYB GR2s for our cars?

the Konis or KYB GR2s
I thought the GR2s are a stock stiffness replacement and are really not stiff enough if you have lowered springs?
Old 02-22-2002, 01:14 PM
Maxima Pilot

Konis all the way but...are they out yet for

our Gen5?? I dont think so....I called the US Koni distributor last wek and no dice -yet. Also followed up with an email to Koni in Europe and ditto answer so...if you have part neumbers, let's have them!

I've installed Konis on one Celica (1972), one Porsche, several Honda, one s-10 Blazer and one Yamaha two-stroke....they are the best out there, period. Plus, different from all other adjustable shocks (ala Illuminas, AGX's etc when you adjust (tighten) a Koni you only affect rebound damping, not compression....perfect for a stiffer spring setup when the stiffer spring will harshed the ride on compression anyway and you DONT want the shock to contribute to the increased spring rate.

Then on rebound, the tighter shock will reduce the tendency of the stiffer spring to extend the wheel out super-fast because it has higher rebound rates thus also improving that segment of the ride...

Bottom line, been there, done that with MANY Konis...I'll buy them next day after they're available for our Gen5's!
Old 02-22-2002, 03:54 PM

Re: Konis all the way but...are they out yet for

Originally posted by Galo
our Gen5?? I dont think so....I called the US Koni distributor last wek and no dice -yet. Also followed up with an email to Koni in Europe and ditto answer so...if you have part neumbers, let's have them!

I've installed Konis on one Celica (1972), one Porsche, several Honda, one s-10 Blazer and one Yamaha two-stroke....they are the best out there, period. Plus, different from all other adjustable shocks (ala Illuminas, AGX's etc when you adjust (tighten) a Koni you only affect rebound damping, not compression....perfect for a stiffer spring setup when the stiffer spring will harshed the ride on compression anyway and you DONT want the shock to contribute to the increased spring rate.

Then on rebound, the tighter shock will reduce the tendency of the stiffer spring to extend the wheel out super-fast because it has higher rebound rates thus also improving that segment of the ride...

Bottom line, been there, done that with MANY Konis...I'll buy them next day after they're available for our Gen5's!

Konis are available for our car just they have to be slightly moddified to fit... its been done before... Kev has them on his car... so i guess im going with the Konis then!
Old 02-22-2002, 07:29 PM

Re: Re: Konis all the way but...are they out yet for

Konis are available for our car just they have to be slightly moddified to fit... its been done before... Kev has them on his car... so i guess im going with the Konis then!
The GR2's are out and available, but i don't know how it will ride on lower spings? They may seems good for a stock replacement, but did anyone tried them on Eibachs yet for 5th Gen?