5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help me with buying my first Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 08:44 AM
JBH

Help me with buying my first Maxima

I have been wanting to trade my Jetta GLX for a bigger smoother car with a bigger V6. I drove the Accord V6 and was very dissapointed. Drove a TL-S, nice but WAY out of my price range. Yesterday I went to my local Nissan dealership and drove a Maxima. I fell in love within a block of the dealership I have picked out a 2002 Sterling Mist SE/Auto with sunroof, wind deflector, mud guards, and floormats. No leather, no Bose. I would like these options but can't afford them. The car was still more than I wanted to spend but he offered me more than anyone else has on my car, and dropped 3K off sticker and said I could have 3.9% financing. I am planning on going in tomorrow and doing the deal but I have a few questions first:

1. I work in an area of town with very rough roads and my current car squeks and creeks like a drink can, will the Maxima stay tight?

2.Are there any problems that I am almost certain to have?

3. Is there a place to buy Nissan parts and accessories cheaper than my local dealership?

Thanks in advance for responding. I hope to be a contributing part of this board real soon. It blew my mind all of the refinement, silky smooth V6 with gobs of power, great auto tranny, and kick *** headlights you get for well under 30K. It appears I have been missing out.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:54 AM

the dash is pretty solid so it shouldn't have too many rattles, the only squeek i have in mine comes from my front passenger seat, it's just the leather rubbing against itself-- cheaper parts: www.courtesyparts.com talk to DaveB, there's a ph. number in the Parts List I think, BTW nice choice in color, good luck on the negotiating process and welcome to the org
Old 02-24-2002, 11:31 AM

Re: Help me with buying my first Maxima

Originally posted by JBH

1. I work in an area of town with very rough roads and my current car squeks and creeks like a drink can, will the Maxima stay tight?

2.Are there any problems that I am almost certain to have?

3. Is there a place to buy Nissan parts and accessories cheaper than my local dealership?
1. The interior is pretty tight but I would suggest you trying both the GXE and the SE back to back. The sport suspension in the SE tends to bounce alot in rough pavement. The suspension in both the GXE/GLE is softer and it's probably better on rough roads.

2. Well, my 2002 is my first Maxima but I've been following the reliability data compiled by Consumer Report for several years now and it seems to be one of the most reliable family sedans out there.

3. Courtesy Nissan at http://www.courtesyparts.com/

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2002, 02:58 PM

http://www.carbuyingtips.com

best site on the net, don't buy a car w/o it!
Old 02-25-2002, 01:30 PM
JBH

Well I went in at lunch and put my deposit down. They said it should be in tomorrow. They found exactly what I wanted at a dealership in GA. Hopefully by tomorrow night I will be part of the Maxima family
I will let you guys know how it turns out. I still can't get over what I have been missing all this time. The Maxima is definitly the most bang for the buck when it comes to the complete package.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:08 AM

Nice

Originally posted by JBH
Well I went in at lunch and put my deposit down. They said it should be in tomorrow. They found exactly what I wanted at a dealership in GA. Hopefully by tomorrow night I will be part of the Maxima family
I will let you guys know how it turns out. I still can't get over what I have been missing all this time. The Maxima is definitly the most bang for the buck when it comes to the complete package.
The question now is, WHAT MODS are you going to start with?
Old 02-26-2002, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by JBH
What model? What package? Auto or manual?

Anyway, welcome in the family.... I'm confident that you made the right choice...
Old 02-26-2002, 12:03 PM

WELCOME