5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

UDP installed! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 11:46 AM

UDP installed! (long)

Thanks to BrokenMotor and sx7r for the install.

Here are my impressions:

Well, my expectations weren’t too high after all the debate here on the .org, but I figured I’d get at least a little gain, even if I couldn’t feel it. I’m happy to say I was pleasantly surprised with the difference my UDP makes! (Partially, I’m sure, because I was expecting so little.)

1. The first thing I noticed is that the car starts more easily- bump the starter and it’s going, versus having to crank a second or two.

2. Also, the car sounds quieter during normal driving because…

3. The engine is under noticeably less stress at all times. Acceleration is smoother and quicker. Not drastically quicker, but noticeably. Doesn’t have to work as hard as it did before under the same conditions (ex: going up the hill after the stoplight that I hit every day).

4. When downshifting, the engine revs right up to the appropriate RPMs when letting out the clutch - it’s almost instantaneous.

5. Acceleration is smoother, especially first gear. Used to be "peaky" from a launch, i.e., I’d feel a surge at about 1500RPM in first. "Surge" is gone, and normal acceleration is very nice from a stop.

6. My car is a lot more fun to drive. I have more power available under any partial-throttle circumstances. When I goose it a bit, the car accelerates very noticably faster. HOWEVER…

7. For some reason, you can’t feel the difference very much at WOT. Much like the intake, you can tell there are a few more ponies there, but it’s no Y-pipe in this regard. The place where I notice it best is when winding out 2nd or 3rd and upshifting. After installing the Y-pipe, I really felt that my low end was the weak spot. You know, wind out second, shift, and wait for the RPMs to get back up to the sweet spot. I definitely get to that sweet spot quicker now.

I think this mod is great for everyday driving, especially spirited driving. More fun to drive all the way around, but at WOT it’s just not as noticeable, which could account for the spotty track and peak-HP/TQ results. This mod is not earth-shattering, as many others have pointed out. However, at half the colst of a Cattman Y-Pipe, I think it’s one he11 of a mod.

Now… fire away, Sprint. J
Old 02-25-2002, 12:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Subscribing to see how the comments go. Thanks for the write-up, I have considered this modification.

Can you expand on the actual installation work?
Old 02-25-2002, 12:32 PM

Yeap, I am a good fan about it. Just curious to know how you tightened and loosed the crankshaft pulley bolt? Breakerbar or Impact wrench?

And if you used the breakerbar, how did you tigheten it without running into turning the whole engine while trying to tighten?

Dixit
Old 02-25-2002, 12:34 PM

Michael,

I can’t expand TOO much on the installation, except to say that the two guys I watched do it made it look pretty darn easy. But these guys weren’t strangers to this kind of thing. Brokenmotor has done a bunch of UDP’s and sx7r… well… if he’s running a 125 shot of NOS I’d say he’s got the UDP thing down!

Anyway, it only took a floor jack, torque wrench, and a few sockets to get the job done. Broke the pulley using the "bump the starter" method.

Deac was kind enough to send belts with the UDP he sold me, but one of them was the stock one, so we had to make a couple trips to Autozone to get the right one. That added an hour or so to the time, bringing it up to about 2.5 hours total.

There are a couple of UDP install write-ups floating around, one on the sticky here.

I’m not really blessed with mechanical ability, but I wouldn’t be afraid to try this install with a friend.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:38 PM

Tightening…

They told me to put it in 5th gear and hold down the brakes. For whatever reason, this worked.

Loosened it by putting the breaker bar up against the frame and blipping the starter.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Adboy
Michael,

I can’t expand TOO much on the installation, except to say that the two guys I watched do it made it look pretty darn easy. But these guys weren’t strangers to this kind of thing. Brokenmotor has done a bunch of UDP’s and sx7r… well… if he’s running a 125 shot of NOS I’d say he’s got the UDP thing down!

Anyway, it only took a floor jack, torque wrench, and a few sockets to get the job done. Broke the pulley using the "bump the starter" method.
Now my question is since you used the torque wrench to get it off via the bump start method (as I did), how did they get the bolt tightened? Cause when you try to tigthen the bolt, you can turn the whole motor. It will never fully tightened unless you use an impact wrench or figure out a way to hold the engine from turning as you tighten the bolt.

And no tightening the bolt upto the point where the whole engine turns is not enough. It can come loose under the spin.

Dixit
Old 02-25-2002, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
Now my question is since you used the torque wrench to get it off via the bump start method (as I did), how did they get the bolt tightened? Cause when you try to tigthen the bolt, you can turn the whole motor. It will never fully tightened unless you use an impact wrench or figure out a way to hold the engine from turning as you tighten the bolt.

And no tightening the bolt upto the point where the whole engine turns is not enough. It can come loose under the spin.

Dixit
How did you do it? Impact Wrench?

With Greg selling these for $199, I might just order one and see how I like it.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:31 PM

Posted above. 5th gear + foot on the brake, ignition off. I don’t know why it worked, but it did.

Oh, I forgot- to celebrate my new mod, I toasted some a**hole in a prelude and dusted a TL-S on the highway. Not that it was all the UDP, but it was even more fun!
Old 03-03-2002, 05:14 PM

What is the exact size of the udp ? anyone with measuring calipers able to measure it for me Works out way too much for me to get one from the US shipped out to Oz, it's cheaper for me to get it customed here, but need specs.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:34 PM

i know i love my UDP, no doubts here
Old 03-03-2002, 11:03 PM

Hi Adboy!
Long time