5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cleaned Throttle body, world of difference

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 10:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cleaned Throttle body, world of difference

I have about 20k miles on my car, and I went to pepboys and bought the throttle body cleaner and did what the bottle said of spraying it inside and cleaned it a towel. And then starting the car and spraying it while the car is running and empty the whole can.

First off the towel turned black with all the crap i just cleaned out. My friend said he saw crazy black smoke come out the exhaust.

And the final test, the drive is much more responsive and quicker.

Definetely worth doing for some of you that feel you have lost the "edge" and what not. Only $4.

Dixit
Old 02-27-2002, 10:12 AM

Re: Cleaned Throttle body, world of difference

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
I have about 20k miles on my car, and I went to pepboys and bought the throttle body cleaner and did what the bottle said of spraying it inside and cleaned it a towel. And then starting the car and spraying it while the car is running and empty the whole can.

First off the towel turned black with all the crap i just cleaned out. My friend said he saw crazy black smoke come out the exhaust.

Definetely worth doing for some of you that feel you have lost the "edge" and what not. Only $4.

Dixit

cool....I'm gonna give that a try this weekend.
Is there a particular brand i should look for?
Old 02-27-2002, 10:24 AM

Re: Re: Cleaned Throttle body, world of difference

Originally posted by acMAX

cool....I'm gonna give that a try this weekend.
Is there a particular brand i should look for?
The one says in the directions that you can spray it while the engine is on. I dont remember, but I think it was made by Gumout.

Dixit
Old 02-27-2002, 11:51 AM

Is there a how-to on cleaning the throttle body?

GC
Old 02-27-2002, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by Cisco
Is there a how-to on cleaning the throttle body?

GC
No need, take off the box connected to the throttle body, and then spray directly into it.

Just use the prcai how to to learn how to remove the the stock airbox.

Dixit
Old 02-27-2002, 12:23 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

No need, take off the box connected to the throttle body, and then spray directly into it.

Just use the prcai how to to learn how to remove the the stock airbox.

Dixit
So you sprayed it through the MAF? I guess this is ok ...
Old 02-27-2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

So you sprayed it through the MAF? I guess this is ok ...
NO NO NO

Straight into the Throttle body. Not the tube. God no!

Dixit
Old 02-27-2002, 05:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Cleaned Throttle body, world of difference

The one says in the directions that you can spray it while the engine is on. I dont remember, but I think it was made by Gumout.

Dixit
hey i know this is OT but didn't you post a photo shopped pic a while back with dual tip dual exhausts on a 2k1 max?
Old 02-27-2002, 06:15 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cleaned Throttle body, world of difference

Originally posted by acMAX

hey i know this is OT but didn't you post a photo shopped pic a while back with dual tip dual exhausts on a 2k1 max?
Yeah that was me. And yes the dual 4" in tips are real.

Dixit
Old 02-27-2002, 06:52 PM

You sprayed the cleaner into the TB while the engine is running, with the intake and MAF removed? No air is going through the intake or MAF! Did the engine run like crap?
Old 02-27-2002, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by ru4real
You sprayed the cleaner into the TB while the engine is running, with the intake and MAF removed? No air is going through the intake or MAF! Did the engine run like crap?
Yeah ran like crap for a couple mins while I emptied the can on it. It barely stays on without the airbox. Also if you open up the throttle, it wants to die, but spray that crap in there and it acts like fuel and revs like a ****, kept doing that while the can emptied and black smoke came out the exhaust (that might could have been supressed if I did not remove the stock y and the stock cat and replaced it with a cattman y and straight pipe with no cat, hhehee)

Runs like a charm now. No hesitation. Smooth accelaration.

Dixit
Old 02-27-2002, 08:51 PM

is the stuff called throttle body cleaner?
Old 02-27-2002, 09:08 PM

did the TB look dirty when you went to clean it?? when i put my CAI in, mine looked pretty clean.
Old 02-27-2002, 09:34 PM

Even if it looks clean, it really ain't

There is an ORG member that has detailed instructions on the fourth gen(similiar concept for fifth), most of the fourth gen members know it, it has a Max burnout on there also. The cleaning is very beneficial.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:19 PM
a33

http://www.motorvate.ca/welcome.htm
Old 02-27-2002, 11:39 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Sorry, but...

I'm NOT trying to flame Dixit or anyone, but I have to question if this is a good idea.

You're basically liquifying all the carbon build up that accumulates in the throttle-body and intake manifold and turning it into a "sludge". This sludge is then drawn into the engine coating the intake valves and combustion chamber. Then this crap is slowly burned off in the combustion chamber, but in the meantime it's caked on the back of the intake valves and also scratching the cylinder walls. I've seen this crap and it's not great for reducing friction on moving parts. I forget the word Mechanical Engineers use, but this stuff has a rather large particle size. It is not going to simply combust and disappear out the exhaust.

I'm just wondering if this is going to cause more harm than good in the long run.

The throttle body is something that can be removed and cleaned, but you'll have to disconnect some coolant lines and that may require you drain the cooling system. However, if it comes time to do this, I would rather do that then allow all the carbon deposits to be injested by my engine.

Just my .02, which ain't worth much.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:48 PM

a33, I take it this is your site? If it is Thanks for posting the link. Looks very informative. I'm going to have to check this out a little later when I don't have so much homework. Also I tried clening my throttle body about a month ago and it felt the same. I have about 43k on my max and geez was that thing dirty. i started it up and it had trouble starting for like 4 seconds or so and bang it reved up to 1500 rpms and smoothed out within a matter of seconds (rpms dropped to around 750 rpms) But didn't feel a diffrence. I will try what ICEY2K1 suggest later on.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:57 PM
a33

i found it a while ago
Old 02-28-2002, 05:03 AM

I notice that the site posted by a33 doesn't seem to mention performing the cleaning with the engine running. I have to agree with Ice...doing this with the engine running just doesn't sound like a good idea.
I can remember cleaning the carb out on my dad's '69 BelAir with a can of Gumout and the engine running, but, hell, we're talking about old-school Dee-troyt iron there.
Of course, my opinion is worth about half as much as Ice's on this...
Old 02-28-2002, 06:56 AM

Originally posted by Thorzdad
I notice that the site posted by a33 doesn't seem to mention performing the cleaning with the engine running. I have to agree with Ice...doing this with the engine running just doesn't sound like a good idea.
I can remember cleaning the carb out on my dad's '69 BelAir with a can of Gumout and the engine running, but, hell, we're talking about old-school Dee-troyt iron there.
Of course, my opinion is worth about half as much as Ice's on this...
but wouldn't it be the same as spraying it into the manifold, while you are cleaning without having the engine running? cause all the stuff would still drip in there. and when you start it up it'll probably have the same effect.

i think the only way to make sure the manifold and everything else stays sludge free( well at least not sludge from the cleaning) is to take the throttle body off and clean as Ice stated before
Old 02-28-2002, 07:50 AM

Should you have sludge up in your intake manifold in the first place?

Doesn't this mean your car is not running well or the filter is not doing its job?
Old 02-28-2002, 07:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Cleaned Throttle body, world of difference

Dixit
My car has 15k on it and it feels more sluggish than normal at lower rpms (2k - 3k). Before you cleaned your TB were you experiencing these symptoms? I hope it is something simple like this, because it is driving me nuts!
Old 02-28-2002, 07:57 AM

Re: Sorry, but...

Originally posted by IceY2K1
I'm NOT trying to flame Dixit or anyone, but I have to question if this is a good idea.

You're basically liquifying all the carbon build up that accumulates in the throttle-body and intake manifold and turning it into a "sludge". This sludge is then drawn into the engine coating the intake valves and combustion chamber. Then this crap is slowly burned off in the combustion chamber, but in the meantime it's caked on the back of the intake valves and also scratching the cylinder walls. I've seen this crap and it's not great for reducing friction on moving parts. I forget the word Mechanical Engineers use, but this stuff has a rather large particle size. It is not going to simply combust and disappear out the exhaust.

I'm just wondering if this is going to cause more harm than good in the long run.

The throttle body is something that can be removed and cleaned, but you'll have to disconnect some coolant lines and that may require you drain the cooling system. However, if it comes time to do this, I would rather do that then allow all the carbon deposits to be injested by my engine.

Just my .02, which ain't worth much.
No flames taken. I understand your point. But just seen more people on the plus side of doing it rather than the minus side. Your theory is very well correct. But I cleaned out as much as i could with the towel, and then sprayed the rest of the crap in there to clean the rest of the intake manifold.

Dixit
Old 02-28-2002, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by theMax
Should you have sludge up in your intake manifold in the first place?
Doesn't this mean your car is not running well or the filter is not doing its job?
That's the other thing that is bothering me about this. How does all this cr*p get past those nice expensive filters?
Old 02-28-2002, 08:24 AM

You guys...

Originally posted by Thorzdad

That's the other thing that is bothering me about this. How does all this cr*p get past those nice expensive filters?
The "crap" is oily vapor which is blow-by from the piston rings. The EGR system is designed to combust the crankcase blow-by from your crankcase breather tube which is that large tube from the valve cover to the intake tract right before the Throttle body.

Dixit, if you want less buildup you might consider removing this tube, pluging your CAI connection, and putting a crankcase breather filter on the valve cover. A 2K2 on here did this. However, I have NOT seen the EGR system layout for our car. On the car I learned about this on(Nissan Sentra), it had two paths for the vapors to be drawn into the intake. One in the intake tract and the other was in the manifold. Therefore, part of the manifold will still get dirty, but the TB will remain clean and the vapors will still be able to escape the crankcase which is important. You do NOT want to contain all the vapors in the crankcase.

Again my .02.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:28 AM

Re: You guys...

Dixit, if you want less buildup you might consider removing this tube, pluging your CAI connection, and putting a crankcase breather filter on the valve cover. A 2K2 on here did this. However, I have NOT seen the EGR system layout for our car. On the car I learned about this on(Nissan Sentra), it had two paths for the vapors to be drawn into the intake. One in the intake tract and the other was in the manifold. Therefore, part of the manifold will still get dirty, but the TB will remain clean and the vapors will still be able to escape the crankcase which is important. You do NOT want to contain all the vapors in the crankcase.

Again my .02.
I dont follow you on the plugging my CAI part. I got a PRCAI on there right now.

Dixit
Old 02-28-2002, 08:29 AM

Also...

Instead of removing the piece of the intake tract before the TB to spray the TB-cleaner in, you can just remove the crankcase breather tube from the intake tract and spray it in there while the engine is running. PLEASE do NOT spray TB-cleaner into the crankcase side, just the intake tract side. It should be EASIER to keep the car running, since the MAF will still be reading air flow.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:34 AM

Re: Re: You guys...

I dont follow you on the plugging my CAI part. I got a PRCAI on there right now.

Dixit
You know the ~1-1.5" tube that runs from the top of the valve cover to the intake tract right before the TB? Follow it to the intake. You remove this, put a K&N breather filter(small 2" filter) on the valve cover side and plug the opposite side of the tube which connected to your intake tract.

If you still don't see it I'll try and take a pic this weekend.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:40 AM

Re: Re: Re: You guys...

You know the ~1-1.5" tube that runs from the top of the valve cover to the intake tract right before the TB? Follow it to the intake. You remove this, put a K&N breather filter(small 2" filter) on the valve cover side and plug the opposite side of the tube which connected to your intake tract.

If you still don't see it I'll try and take a pic this weekend.
I know what you are talking about, you are talking about that 1" pipe that goes into the short pipe of the PRCAI.

So you said put a breather filter on the valve cover side, and just plug the tube on the PRCAI side. What advantage do I get from this beside less oil/carbon getting into the Tbody? Also is there a disadvatage to this?

Dixit
Old 02-28-2002, 09:11 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: You guys...

I know what you are talking about, you are talking about that 1" pipe that goes into the short pipe of the PRCAI.

So you said put a breather filter on the valve cover side, and just plug the tube on the PRCAI side. What advantage do I get from this beside less oil/carbon getting into the Tbody? Also is there a disadvatage to this?

Dixit
Not 100% positive on this, so just my .02 again.

The most significant advantage is that the TB and most of the intake manifold doesn't get so dirty. The disadvantage is that your releasing the vapors into the environment(through the K&N breather filter) and that you might be building up vapors in your crankcase, but I'm not sure exactly what harm this can do unless too much pressure builds up. Maybe, some Mechanical people on here can answer that better.

Basically on my Sentras' PCV(Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system, the PCV valve allows one-way flow of the vapors into the side of the manifold(not sure if all the time or if it's only under certain conditions), whereas the breather tube draws vapors into the intake tract ONLY under high load/RPMs. So, there are two paths that allow vapors to escape the crankcase. I don't know for sure how the Maxima is setup.

Also, supposedly oily vapors drawn into the combustion chamber lower the effective overall octane rating of the fuel when the fuel/air mixture is ignited, but I don't know exactly how/why this occurs. A Mechanical Engineer should be able to elaborate.
Old 02-28-2002, 09:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cleaned Throttle body, world of difference

Yeah that was me. And yes the dual 4" in tips are real.

Dixit

i know your 4" tips are real...

I was just wondering if you could post that pic again or can you email it to me?

thanks
Old 02-28-2002, 05:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You guys...

Not 100% positive on this, so just my .02 again.

The most significant advantage is that the TB and most of the intake manifold doesn't get so dirty. The disadvantage is that your releasing the vapors into the environment(through the K&N breather filter) and that you might be building up vapors in your crankcase, but I'm not sure exactly what harm this can do unless too much pressure builds up. Maybe, some Mechanical people on here can answer that better.

Basically on my Sentras' PCV(Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system, the PCV valve allows one-way flow of the vapors into the side of the manifold(not sure if all the time or if it's only under certain conditions), whereas the breather tube draws vapors into the intake tract ONLY under high load/RPMs. So, there are two paths that allow vapors to escape the crankcase. I don't know for sure how the Maxima is setup.

Also, supposedly oily vapors drawn into the combustion chamber lower the effective overall octane rating of the fuel when the fuel/air mixture is ignited, but I don't know exactly how/why this occurs. A Mechanical Engineer should be able to elaborate.
Ice, hopefully Steve (the guy who bought a 4th gen after his accord was declared totaled). will view this thread. Forgot his SN Maybe he knows.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You guys...

Originally posted by Menacer
Ice, hopefully Steve (the guy who bought a 4th gen after his accord was declared totaled). will view this thread. Forgot his SN Maybe he knows.
SteVTEC
Old 03-03-2002, 02:31 AM

Threw 'Service Engine Soon' light

I did this today with 27k miles on my 2k. The throttle body was not that dirty to begin with. But after doing it, my 'Service Engine Soon' light came on. WTF? I reset my ECU, and still on. Now I need to take it to the dealer to have them reset it(Although I still need to go to get my AC/Heater blower motor fixed_Damned thing squels soooo loud!) I feel the gains were minimal due to the hassle. Anybody else have his problem? I feel it should be done more around 75k mi.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:36 AM

Re: Threw 'Service Engine Soon' light

Originally posted by HondaKilLR
I did this today with 27k miles on my 2k. The throttle body was not that dirty to begin with. But after doing it, my 'Service Engine Soon' light came on. WTF? I reset my ECU, and still on. Now I need to take it to the dealer to have them reset it(Although I still need to go to get my AC/Heater blower motor fixed_Damned thing squels soooo loud!) I feel the gains were minimal due to the hassle. Anybody else have his problem? I feel it should be done more around 75k mi.
did you spray through the MAF? If so you might have damaged it.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:13 AM

Re: Re: Threw 'Service Engine Soon' light

Originally posted by theMax

did you spray through the MAF? If so you might have damaged it.
I really really hope he did not do that.

Dixit
Old 03-03-2002, 10:31 AM

i've sprayed my MAF with the cleaner before, and i've never had problems.

and when i changed out my prcai to go back to stock last night, i decided to check the TB, and mine was pretty clean. but i cleaned it anyway.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by victor

and when i changed out my prcai to go back to stock last night, i decided to check the TB, and mine was pretty clean. but i cleaned it anyway.
Very very bad. Never should spray the MAF sensor. You probably got lucky, but it eats away the sensor.

Dixit
Old 03-03-2002, 11:46 AM

Very very bad. Never should spray the MAF sensor. You probably got lucky, but it eats away the sensor.

Dixit
i didn't know that, cause i never heard that before. next time i won't do it.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by victor

Just out of curiousity, what did you go back to stock?

Quick Reply: Cleaned Throttle body, world of difference