5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dynamating the Max

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 11:16 PM

Dynamating the Max

Hi,

Has anyone removed their carpet and put some dynamat or other tyep fo vibration dampener on the floor of the Max? My question is how do you go about removing the carpet and then putting it back? I can try just pulling up the carpet at random places, but if anyone knows where the points of attachment are and how they are attached, then that would be great.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:39 PM

Re: Dynamating the Max

Originally posted by Alexis
Hi,

Has anyone removed their carpet and put some dynamat or other tyep fo vibration dampener on the floor of the Max? My question is how do you go about removing the carpet and then putting it back? I can try just pulling up the carpet at random places, but if anyone knows where the points of attachment are and how they are attached, then that would be great.

Thanks.
i've been wanting to do the same thing. what i'm planning on is to remove some of the plastic panels where the carpet disappears into. that should give you access to the carpet borders which you can pull up. i'd recommend that rather than random areas cuz of all the overlapping panels. don't want to snap a plastic grommet or nothin.

keep us posted on your progress. i'm sure there'll be lotsa people who'll wanna do this if it reduces some of the road noise.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:10 AM

Re: Dynamating the Max

Hi,

Thanks.
There have been studies done by various magazines over the years where they measured the noise levels inside the car at speeds with and without Dynamat. The difference is hardly if not not at all noticeable. Some companies sell lead barrier sheets that are more specifically designed to reduce road noise. These sheets do not reduce vibrations per se, but actually block noise...but they are very expensive & should be installed in large sections that cover the most area possible. By this I mean it would be best to remove the seats, center console, etc. so you can strip the carpeting away and apply it everywhere to get any real benefits. I highly doubt you will see any benefits by Dynamatting your car, other than to reduce vibrations caused by your audio system; which Dynamat works great for. Mcmaster.com has a very good selection of all sorts of different kinds of noise barriers, damping materies, etc., including the lead barrier sheets. I bought some very inexpensive damping sheets that were just as effective as Dynamat there. They're called high-temp mastic sheets and you can find them on their site by using their search engine and typing in SOUND CONTROL.

Good luck.

Tony
Old 03-03-2002, 08:55 AM

I have had my floor dynamatted. The best/only way to do it, is to strip the entire interior. Remove the seats and center console and apply it everywhere. It is not as hard as you would think. The seats are only 4 bolts and the back seat just lifts out of some clips. I installed mine for other reasons then sound insulation, but I think doing the whole car (doors too) made a substantial increase in noise isolation. If it doesn't lower the dB measuerment, at least it muffles the annoying tire droan.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:41 AM

So once I un bolt the seats, how do I get to the grommets for the carpet? Are they just at where the door sills attach? Anyone have any pictures of an install?

I know about the mc-master stuff, it looks to be a pretty good deal and they have many types of things. The lead sounds good, but I'd be worried about weighing my car down too much.

Originally posted by xtantmaxima
I have had my floor dynamatted. The best/only way to do it, is to strip the entire interior. Remove the seats and center console and apply it everywhere. It is not as hard as you would think. The seats are only 4 bolts and the back seat just lifts out of some clips. I installed mine for other reasons then sound insulation, but I think doing the whole car (doors too) made a substantial increase in noise isolation. If it doesn't lower the dB measuerment, at least it muffles the annoying tire droan.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:44 AM

Yup you gotta strip the whole car's interior to put it down. On another note though there is a new thing out I heard works well. You apply it down in liquid, and then in an hour it dry's hard like a superball and works real well, i'll go look for the name.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:52 AM

Sounds a little messy for doing things that aren't horizontal, like the doors or trunk...Actually I have been looking at the RAAM mat that alot of the car audio guys are using. It looks comparable to the Dynamat extreme but is cheaper. The main reason I am looking at the RAAM is that it claims to be much stickier and that you don't need a heat gun to apply it.

Originally posted by max'n out
Yup you gotta strip the whole car's interior to put it down. On another note though there is a new thing out I heard works well. You apply it down in liquid, and then in an hour it dry's hard like a superball and works real well, i'll go look for the name.
Old 03-03-2002, 11:14 AM

Sounds a little messy for doing things that aren't horizontal, like the doors or trunk...Actually I have been looking at the RAAM mat that alot of the car audio guys are using. It looks comparable to the Dynamat extreme but is cheaper. The main reason I am looking at the RAAM is that it claims to be much stickier and that you don't need a heat gun to apply it.

Yeah this is only for the floor. For doors and roof you'd have to go with dynamat, ramat,cascade etc. But trust me you need a heat gun for all of it, and it's al lthe same at least for the mat.
Old 03-03-2002, 02:35 PM

CASCADE VB-1S QUIET KOTE DAMPING SPRAY 24 oz.

The stuff you're referring to is called CASCADE VB-1S QUIET KOTE DAMPING SPRAY. I've read some very good reviews on it. People say that you spend A LOT of time masking, and a short time spraying (a few coats). With the dynamat, you spend alot of time "rolling" & heating it. I've had the dynamat fall of my previous car in cold weather. (Best Buy A$$hole did the install)

The Cascade is best when applied in warm weather, cause it takes 24-48hours plus++ to completely 'cure' (for lack of better word). I plan on using it this summer but can't wait, cause I must change the speakers now!!!

Here's a link (costs $17)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=268-250&Did=7

Good luck,
G
Old 03-03-2002, 02:40 PM

Re: CASCADE VB-1S QUIET KOTE DAMPING SPRAY 24 oz.

Originally posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE

The stuff you're referring to is called CASCADE VB-1S QUIET KOTE DAMPING SPRAY. I've read some very good reviews on it. People say that you spend A LOT of time masking, and a short time spraying (a few coats). With the dynamat, you spend alot of time "rolling" & heating it. I've had the dynamat fall of my previous car in cold weather. (Best Buy A$$hole did the install)

The Cascade is best when applied in warm weather, cause it takes 24-48hours plus++ to completely 'cure' (for lack of better word). I plan on using it this summer but can't wait, cause I must change the speakers now!!!

Here's a link (costs $17)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=268-250&Did=7

Good luck,
G
No i am not talking about the spray. Alot of companys have spray, Cascade has an acual Mat. Just like the other mats, execpt no fancy writing on it, just black.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:52 PM

Re: CASCADE VB-1S QUIET KOTE DAMPING SPRAY 24 oz.

The stuff you're referring to is called CASCADE VB-1S QUIET KOTE DAMPING
SPRAY.
Good luck,
Jayson is right, the Cascade spray is not the same thing. I used
Noisekiller gray in my previous vehicle and it's pretty much the same thing as the Cascade. I used several layers of the high temp mastic sheets on my doors, trunk, etc. and then covered it with copious amounts (two cans per door)of the Noisekiller gray. It works awesome and eliminates virtually all vibrations and resonances from speakers, but I don't know about reducing road noise...
The spray also works well to coat areas not perfectly covered by your sheets and keeps them from peeling off over time.

Tony
Old 03-03-2002, 08:56 PM

Re: Re: CASCADE VB-1S QUIET KOTE DAMPING SPRAY 24 oz.

No i am not talking about the spray. Alot of companys have spray, Cascade has an acual Mat. Just like the other mats, execpt no fancy writing on it, just black.
Are you sure, cause you were talking about some type of liquid. you said: "You apply it down in liquid, and then in an hour it dry's hard like a superball and works real well, i'll go look for the name."

BTW: Which product did u use Jason?

G
Old 03-03-2002, 09:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: CASCADE VB-1S QUIET KOTE DAMPING SPRAY 24 oz.

Are you sure, cause you were talking about some type of liquid. you said: "You apply it down in liquid, and then in an hour it dry's hard like a superball and works real well, i'll go look for the name."

BTW: Which product did u use Jason?

G
yeah two different things. I forgot the name of what the liquid floor ruber boncy ball stuff is. But that is suposed to be great for the floor, new cheap way of doing it, like 10 bucks. 2 hour drying time, 1/4 inch thick.

All the little sprays don't do much. But all the mat all pretty much the same, cascade, dynamat, ramat, etc.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: CASCADE VB-1S QUIET KOTE DAMPING SPRAY 24 oz.

I'm not sure if this is what he used, but this is what I think he is referring to:

Cascade Audio VBlock VB-1. "Cascade Audio Engineering acoustic control products are designed to tackle your worst noise nightmare. The added benefit to your car audio system performance is stunning. Your music takes on new levels of clarity and detail. By reducing the total noise floor in the vehicle your audio system does not have to play as loud to be heard as clear. Costly amplifier and speaker power is not wasted by vibrating panels. Don’t accept cheap substitutes! Use what the pros use - Cascade Audio Engineering! VB-1 is a mineral loaded, water-based visco-elastic damping compound that is non-toxic and environmentally safe. It’s specifically designed for vibration damping of large panels, curved and/or uneven surfaces. It effectively damps vibration in metal, plastic, fiberglass and wood over a wide frequency range. VB-1 offers twice the damping ability over asphalt based damping materials. VB-1 is a paste-like texture and not a liquid and must be applied by hand or with a spreader much like you would use for clay or puddy. Once cured, VB-1 can be sanded and/or painted. 5 gallon bucket covers approximately 100 sq. ft."

This is taken from the sounddomain.com website which happens to sell all sorts of different stuff for car audio. They rock!!

Tony
Old 03-03-2002, 10:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: CASCADE VB-1S QUIET KOTE DAMPING SPRAY 24 oz.

Jayson and I must have posted at the same time. Sounds like different stuff!! The stuff I mentioned costs way more than $10!!

Tony