5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Auuug! Brush Scratches! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 08:51 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Auuug! Brush Scratches! Help!

I was sick Saturday and was unable to wash the car as I wanted (The roads were salted and it looked bad). Any whoo, my future wife (less than a month..YIKES!) decides to be most helpful got someone (best friend) to drive my car to the car wash (my wife cant drive a manual). But they use the BRUSH to wash it down....I mean they must have really scrubbed it good. No salt anywhere but I really have some bad brush scratches. There is a haze all over the car.

I hit a small spot in a heated garage on Sunday with 3MSwirl remover about 100 times and it did not make a bit o difference.

I took it to one place this morning and he said there is nothing that can be done. He says "all cars get this way anyway". No wax, buffing or anything. No aplicable solution could be given. I just don't believe that. Anybody in the cincy area know of a good detailer or body shop?

Does anybody have any suggestions of how to deal with this? Should you not be able to buff some of the clear coat down? The guy this morning said that the clear coat looked kinda thin, but I am not sure I believe him.

I am trying to do this secretly as well to make sure I don't **** her off either. I mentioned to not use a brush on the car in the future, let alone anybody drive my car w/o permission but did not want to make a big deal of it for fear of putting yet more stress on her just before the wedding.

Any suggestions from people that have dealt with this before would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2002, 09:00 AM

Re: Auuug! Brush Scratches! Help!

Originally posted by Colonel
[B]I hit a small spot in a heated garage on Sunday with 3MSwirl remover about 100 times and it did not make a bit o difference.

/B]
did you try it by hand?? if you had a porter cable (a really high speed buffer) you should use it. the high speed and heat will make the abrasives less and less harsh, it's hard to describe. but when you do it by hand you don't get fast or warm enough to break them down, so you just keep working the stuff in, but it's not getting finer and finer.

sorry, if this made no sense. i guess i'm feeling stupid today, and i can't really say it like it is.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:04 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

on sterling mist??

man, thats hard to do on sterling mist.. Super Black I would understand.

I too have a SM max, and I have alittle... especially where my trunk got keyed and they repainted. The new paint dulled after 1 month, so I had them compound and polish the trunk. Now there are fine scratches on the trunk lid from the compounding.

The only way to hide them is 2 coats of good wax. I mean really lay on some high quality wax or Zaino. They will disappear for 3-6 months.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:13 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: on sterling mist??

Originally posted by TimW

I too have a SM max, and I have alittle... especially where my trunk got keyed and they repainted. The new paint dulled after 1 month, so I had them compound and polish the trunk. Now there are fine scratches on the trunk lid from the compounding.

The only way to hide them is 2 coats of good wax. I mean really lay on some high quality wax or Zaino. They will disappear for 3-6 months.
So is there anything you put down first? Or just "Zaino-ized" it and they dissappeared? I wax my car at least twice a month. Will that help or hinder the situation?

Yeah, its hard so I know that either my paint is more flawed than most or they really "cleaned" it good!
Old 03-04-2002, 12:42 PM

damn, more bad luck with your paint

If you can't get it out you can have the clearcoal professionally buffed and possible add another layer. This will make it as shiny as new but may cost a few $$.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:29 PM
Maxima Pilot

Megueir (sp??) #9 swirl remover with a rotary

buffer. While u will see some improvement with a standard, cheap orbital polisher ala sold by Sears or Black and Decker the real m-coy for this work is a Porter-Cable or similar rotary tool.

They arent cheap at 175-195 bucks...if u dont wanna spend that money for a tool u would use once in a blue moon just take it to a detailing shop...you'll be amazed at what they can do with good tools and plenty of experience.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:24 PM

Re: Megueir (sp??) #9 swirl remover with a rotary

Originally posted by Galo
buffer. While u will see some improvement with a standard, cheap orbital polisher ala sold by Sears or Black and Decker the real m-coy for this work is a Porter-Cable or similar rotary tool.

They arent cheap at 175-195 bucks...if u dont wanna spend that money for a tool u would use once in a blue moon just take it to a detailing shop...you'll be amazed at what they can do with good tools and plenty of experience.
i've seen porter cables for around 110 at home depot and lowes.
Old 03-04-2002, 06:08 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by theMax
damn, more bad luck with your paint

If you can't get it out you can have the clearcoal professionally buffed and possible add another layer. This will make it as shiny as new but may cost a few $$.
LOL, yeah no matter how much I try to take care of it....uggg.

I just need to find a shop to clean up the mess and then have it extra clear coated. As seeing I love this car, its not going anywhere and would be worth it in my mind.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:10 AM
OG and counting...

Re: on sterling mist??

Originally posted by TimW

Actually, 3M makes a Swirl Mark Remover for light colored cars. Also, you might consider Meguiar's Swirl Mark Remover 2.0 as well.
Zaino and Klasse All-In-One can remove light swirling.