5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Noise at startup, '02

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 08:31 AM

Noise at startup, '02

My '02 GLE makes a noise at cold start sometime which sounds like it might be the timing chain rubbing against its housing. Anyone have a similar experience or hear of this problem?

Trey
'02 GLE
Merlot/Tan
Old 03-05-2002, 09:07 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

try...

startup with the Climate Control on "OFF" or "ECON", we seem to be having alot of noise coming from the A/C clutch.

if it still makes it, then yes it is probably your timing chain. I understand they made some changes to quiet the chain on the 3.5L, so I wouldnt really have any input there (3.0L here).
Old 03-05-2002, 09:32 AM

Re: try...

check your oil level. when was the last time you changed your oil?
Let us know when you find the cause.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:43 AM

Re: Re: try...

Originally posted by Igal
check your oil level. when was the last time you changed your oil?
Let us know when you find the cause.
Oil has been changed twice and level is good. This noise showed itself early in the vehicle's life and has not gone away even after oil changes.

I'll try the 'climate control off' solution, but the noise doesn't show itself every morning, so I don't know if that will tell me anything.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I get that problem too..kind of a grind right as the motor revs up to 1300+rpm at a cold start...hmmm im on my 3rd oil change at 9000 miles..and its still there
Old 03-05-2002, 11:25 AM
poirier

Sounds like the starter is not disengaging from the flywheel. Problem could be the ignition switch or the starter. Next few times you cold start it, consciously turn the key back from the start position as soon as you hear the engine catch. If there is no noise, then the key switch return spring is not breaking the connection to the starter motor quickly enough.

But it is more likely that the problem is in the starter - most likely a sticking solenoid. Get it fixed before you damage the teeth on the flywheel. Replacing a flywheel is an expensive job.

Good luck.

Old 03-05-2002, 12:38 PM

I've noticed the same with my '02 GLE, but it is inconsistent. It has happened maybe 8 times since taking delivery in October. Always happens on cold start, regardless of how far driven immediately before. I have 3K miles and two oil changes.
I think I'll try shutting off climate control when I park to see if it is the a/c compressor. Since it is inconsistent, I may have to do this for a while.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:57 PM

Answer

just spoke with a service advisor with one of the local dealerships. This guy owns an 02 Max and has experienced the same problem. He has spoken with the technical team in California about it. The noise is indeed the timing chain striking the upper metal chain guide as the tensioner (which is oil pressurized) starts to take up the slack. He tells me that it does not cause damage and that Nissan is familiar with the sound. The clatter occurs b/c 1. there is no oil in the top ½ of the timing chain assembly at cold start, and 2. the tensioner is oil pressure driven. Thus, as soon as the oil pressure rises (which is immediate after the engine starts), the upper ½ of the timing chain gets lubrication and the tensioner has taken out any slack.

I'm not thrilled with the answer b/c I really think that will lead to premature chain wear/failure, but at least I now know what is causing the problem.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:59 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I would tend to think...

it's the starter or timing chain if its *that* intermittant. My AC clutch is pretty consistant when it decides to clatter.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:09 PM

Re: Answer

Originally posted by Aggie Jurist
just spoke with a service advisor with one of the local dealerships. This guy owns an 02 Max and has experienced the same problem. He has spoken with the technical team in California about it. The noise is indeed the timing chain striking the upper metal chain guide as the tensioner (which is oil pressurized) starts to take up the slack. He tells me that it does not cause damage and that Nissan is familiar with the sound. The clatter occurs b/c 1. there is no oil in the top ½ of the timing chain assembly at cold start, and 2. the tensioner is oil pressure driven. Thus, as soon as the oil pressure rises (which is immediate after the engine starts), the upper ½ of the timing chain gets lubrication and the tensioner has taken out any slack.

I'm not thrilled with the answer b/c I really think that will lead to premature chain wear/failure, but at least I now know what is causing the problem.
That sounds like a very credible explanation. They (Nissan) know more than I, but I wonder why they engage the tensioner with oil pressure?