5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

WRX is not that fast (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 03:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WRX is not that fast (long)

Well today on my way back from lunch I had the chance to match up with a WRX Wagon. Now before you start to flame, read on. I was sitting in my 2k2 with 3 other people, 3 of us are 200lbs + and the 4th is about 300lbs. This WRX wagon pulls up along side and is sitting about 1 car in front of me at this light. One of the riders with me says hey, that's a WRX, think you can take him. I said well a Wagon I should be able to, but with all you in here he should be able to walk away. The guy had a friend with him, but they both looked a little on the small side to me.

Well as luck would have it he was in front of me getting on I-95. The on-ramp is a very sharp turn and when I came off I hit it. I passed the guy in second gear around 6k rpm. Now those of you with the frankencar intake on your 2k2 know what he heard.... roar!

Well the two gents in the back seat were like, he isn't biting, and I said it is OK, bad place to play. Well I looked back and he was coming, and rolling fast. I dropped the hammer and the WRX flew past right as I dropped to 3rd. By the time I hit 4th I was gaining, in about 100yds I was up his yang and he jumped over as if he thought I was going to hit him. (I wasn't of course)

Well I made my point so I let off adn took the next exit. My riders said before I could that I definitely would have left him over the next couple of seconds.

I am not bragging that I wooped him, but I thought that the car would have more on the top end than on the bottom. In fact, I test drove one and it has nothing until you are above 4500 rpm. I guess I know now why I got the Max.

I like the WRX and if I lived where I could enjoy a car like that I would have bought one, but I don't live in Montana. I hope that a WRX 4dr could do better, but from what I have read the numbers are not that different on the two cars.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:08 PM
RBa

Re: WRX is not that fast (long)

So what's new?? You drive a 2k2!!!.. From my perspective, they are pretty fast since I drive a 2k auto...
If you didn't know b4, they are pretty slow in the high end!!!..
Old 03-11-2002, 04:26 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Re: WRX is not that fast (long)

Originally posted by RBa
So what's new?? You drive a 2k2!!!.. From my perspective, they are pretty fast since I drive a 2k auto...
If you didn't know b4, they are pretty slow in the high end!!!..
I have beaten 2 of them in my 5spd 2001 Maxima. They don't have the highway power.

Old 03-11-2002, 04:28 PM

I agree that they are not as quick as everyone thinks unless the driver is of professional caliber. I have had a chance to race 2 different WRX's. The first one, I met a the drag strip. He could run a 14.4, but he was mainly in the 14.5's - he also had taken his muffler off. I raced him 3-4 times on the strip and it was always close, but I would win each time. We would be even until about 70, and I would walk him to the line. I also raced him about 5 times on a deserted road from 40, 60, and 70 twice. All with me pulling about 1-2&1/2 cars until 120. The other one was a guy from my school. He is bone stock and only about a month old. We raced from 70, and I walked him about 2 cars 'til 120. I had a chance to race him from a red light where I have no traction, but he apparently launched easily because he never pulled infront of me and I slowly pulled 1 car-length by 70.

Daniel
Old 03-11-2002, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by dblrr900
I am not bragging that I wooped him, but I thought that the car would have more on the top end than on the bottom. In fact, I test drove one and it has nothing until you are above 4500 rpm.
AWD isn't the best for freeway races. More power above 4500rpm? Know why? takes time to spool the turbo.

Also, want more proof that WRXs aren't top-end powerhouses... ask any WRX owner his et/trap. Betcha you'll find his trapspeed to be really low for the ET. I've seen 14.30@90mph and other variants. They launch better than a 02 Max, handle MUCH MUCH better than a Max, but, don't have the freeway grunt that the Max has. So, it's not surprising you beat one.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:58 PM

WRXs are fast from a stop.... i saw a guy at the track run a 13.9 with a foam intake thats it (besides his 5000 rpm clutch drop off the line )! i agree though on the highway no competition at all a 2k2 6 speed would eat it up.... from a stop thats a different story! but good kill!
Old 03-11-2002, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by WILLSE
WRXs are fast from a stop.... i saw a guy at the track run a 13.9 with a foam intake thats it (besides his 5000 rpm clutch drop off the line )! i agree though on the highway no competition at all a 2k2 6 speed would eat it up.... from a stop thats a different story! but good kill!
Well I think he started to hit it when I came off the on-ramp, because he was on the highway fast. For all I know I could have smoked him at that time too. Not sure.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:21 PM

my budy got a 2002 WRX and once he broke in the engine we did a few runs and from dead stop he just jumps a few car lengths in front of me it's crazy!! but from roll we're pretty close although he still beats me... considering I have a stock 96 5 spd. im pretty confident a 2k2 would take it easly
Old 03-12-2002, 05:33 AM

Guys!! You're missing an important fact: The USDM WRX is electronically limited to 130mph. They do have highway power, it's just factory limited (unfornately). Without that speed limiter, they can run about 145mph+. Advice: When the WRX STi comes out (early next year), don't pick any races with them.
Old 03-12-2002, 06:50 AM

I don't think he was trying to race..

I've been stuck behind cars on entrance ramps, pass them and keep going but not at wide open throttle.
Old 03-12-2002, 06:57 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by F23A4
Guys!! You're missing an important fact: The USDM WRX is electronically limited to 130mph. They do have highway power, it's just factory limited (unfornately). Without that speed limiter, they can run about 145mph+. Advice: When the WRX STi comes out (early next year), don't pick any races with them.
I have done all my races with a WRX under 130.... Like from 50-120

Old 03-12-2002, 07:05 AM
PhatGuy

A 2K2 will destroy a WRX on the highway even if the WRX has mild mods!

Old 03-12-2002, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
but not my auto
Old 03-12-2002, 07:38 AM
PhatGuy

Originally posted by mattattax

but not my auto
Ya man I think it would be a good run for sure!

Old 03-13-2002, 05:06 AM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
Never underestimate the power of boost management!! All a WRX needs is an aftermarket chip to get close to 300hp!!
Old 03-13-2002, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by F23A4

Never underestimate the power of boost management!! All a WRX needs is an aftermarket chip to get close to 300hp!!
Are you sure about this? Would you by any chance have any links to the chip maker(s) / reviews?
Old 03-13-2002, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by GXEme

Are you sure about this? Would you by any chance have any links to the chip maker(s) / reviews?
I know this can't be true. SCC has been doing articles on the WRX since it hit. They had 6 of the badest tuning shops around bring their WRX's to them and they were only gaining on average about 15-20 HP at the wheels. There was only one group, Bozz Speed, out of Japan that changed the turbos, did engine work and all and ran the car at like 24lbs of boost before having mad detonation. I think they were getting like maybe 30 more HP at the wheels. Trust me, they did a he11 of a lot more than chip the car.

It has potential but it is not a Supra or an S4 where you throw a grand into the turbo and it has 100 more HP.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:15 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Technically you can't "chip" a WRX like you can a VW or Audi because Subaru is apparently using a proprietary "closed" engine management system on the Scooby. VW and Audi's, which are famous for "chipping" use an open design that tuners can get easy access to and reprogram with ease. You just send out your ECU, and then you get another one back in like a day or so. There is no easy solution like this for WRX's because of their proprietary engine management. This is a major tuning headache.

You can still use manual and electronic boost controllers and Unichip boost controllers on the WRX, but then you lose a lot of the good stuff built into the OEM ECU such as temperature, altitude, and humidity compensation, and resolution of control among other things since you're no longer using the stock boost controller. The aftermarket manual and electronic boost controllers can't react quick enough and don't have fine enough control to prevent boost spikes. It's sorta risky, and it sucks.

Just checkout www.i-club.com I read there A LOT when I was considering a WRX

BTW, I've seen the dyno charts from a WRX putting out over 300 whp on stock internals! They dyno at about 160-168 whp stock (remember, AWD has much more parasitic loss than 2WD) This WRX if I recall had an upgraded turbo, new up-pipe, down-pipe, turbo-back exhaust, "dogbox" tranny straight from Prodrive in the UK, some STi equipment (injectors, etc). Probably wouldn't have passed smog though, but it's very tuneable.

If I recall correctly, the guy that owned the car left it at a tuning shop and said "I want 400 HP" and left a blank check.

300 whp is about 400 crank on a WRX - 25% drivetrain loss.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:08 PM

oh I believe it. But it is not just a simple thing like my man made it sound like earlier. Some serious $$ was dropped to get that car that fast. Personally I would rather have many toys that I can enjoy instead of dropping my $$ one car. Funny thing is the dood will probably never Rally the car so he will never "really" use it.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:10 PM

I know this can't be true. SCC has been doing articles on the WRX since it hit. They had 6 of the badest tuning shops around bring their WRX's to them and they were only gaining on average about 15-20 HP at the wheels. There was only one group, Bozz Speed, out of Japan that changed the turbos, did engine work and all and ran the car at like 24lbs of boost before having mad detonation. I think they were getting like maybe 30 more HP at the wheels. Trust me, they did a he11 of a lot more than chip the car.

It has potential but it is not a Supra or an S4 where you throw a grand into the turbo and it has 100 more HP.
accually yeah it is!! 1600 dollars to be exact! new turbo running 20;bs of boost will creat 400hp with a chip and other small mods! WRXs have a HUGE aftermarket and with the money we would spend on a super charger they would have a crazy fast car that looks good!! u name any part on the car and u can buy a aftermarket part for it! dont think that 24psi on a turbo is only gonna give u 30 hp!

will
Old 03-13-2002, 05:20 PM

Ok, I have a friend with a WRX. I have been on testdrives in all the different models. I've driven it 0-60, and raced against it in my 2k maxima. First, the 2k2 maxima stock will kill a stock wrx on the high end--no doubt. When I've raced the wrx on the freeway (in the open) it will always kill me when under 100, but I will catch up after that. The turbo seems to run out of breath. I've been in the wrx up to about 140 and the stock high end is pretty weak.

However, for the money a new 2002 maxima costs, you can get and mod a new 2002 wrx that will be much faster than the maxima. Period.
Old 03-13-2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Dan4614
Ok, I have a friend with a WRX. I have been on testdrives in all the different models. I've driven it 0-60, and raced against it in my 2k maxima. First, the 2k2 maxima stock will kill a stock wrx on the high end--no doubt. When I've raced the wrx on the freeway (in the open) it will always kill me when under 100, but I will catch up after that. The turbo seems to run out of breath. I've been in the wrx up to about 140 and the stock high end is pretty weak.

However, for the money a new 2002 maxima costs, you can get and mod a new 2002 wrx that will be much faster than the maxima. Period.
turbo doesnt run out of breath the car is working 2 times harder than our cars bc it has 2 differentials to turn! good for gettin off of the line but bad for high end!

will
Old 03-14-2002, 09:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well today on my way back from lunch I had the chance to match up with a WRX Wagon. Now before you start to flame, read on. I was sitting in my 2k2 with 3 other people, 3 of us are 200lbs + and the 4th is about 300lbs. This WRX wagon pulls up along side and is sitting about 1 car in front of me at this light. One of the riders with me says hey, that's a WRX, think you can take him. I said well a Wagon I should be able to, but with all you in here he should be able to walk away. The guy had a friend with him, but they both looked a little on the small side to me.

Well as luck would have it he was in front of me getting on I-95. The on-ramp is a very sharp turn and when I came off I hit it. I passed the guy in second gear around 6k rpm. Now those of you with the frankencar intake on your 2k2 know what he heard.... roar!

Well the two gents in the back seat were like, he isn't biting, and I said it is OK, bad place to play. Well I looked back and he was coming, and rolling fast. I dropped the hammer and the WRX flew past right as I dropped to 3rd. By the time I hit 4th I was gaining, in about 100yds I was up his yang and he jumped over as if he thought I was going to hit him. (I wasn't of course)

Well I made my point so I let off adn took the next exit. My riders said before I could that I definitely would have left him over the next couple of seconds.

I am not bragging that I wooped him, but I thought that the car would have more on the top end than on the bottom. In fact, I test drove one and it has nothing until you are above 4500 rpm. I guess I know now why I got the Max.

I like the WRX and if I lived where I could enjoy a car like that I would have bought one, but I don't live in Montana. I hope that a WRX 4dr could do better, but from what I have read the numbers are not that different on the two cars.
stock WRXs aren't all that fast..i think they are like high 14s in 1/4mile...but even with just a boost controller, intake and catback exhaust, it'll run consistant mid 13s...