5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Y-Pipe & Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 11:39 PM

Y-Pipe & Reliability

I've searched Y-Pipes and got a lot of info. I'll most likely get the Cattman fairly soon.

One question. How many of you have experienced some or all of the problems I have read about when doing my search? Irregular idle, knocking or thumping from fittment issues, etc. I want to do this mod, but only if there's a VERY good chance I won't regret it by causing any problems I didn't have before the Y-Pipe.

Thanks in advance,

Tony
Old 03-14-2002, 04:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Y-Pipe & Reliability

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes
I've searched Y-Pipes and got a lot of info. I'll most likely get the Cattman fairly soon.

One question. How many of you have experienced some or all of the problems I have read about when doing my search? Irregular idle, knocking or thumping from fittment issues, etc. I want to do this mod, but only if there's a VERY good chance I won't regret it by causing any problems I didn't have before the Y-Pipe.

Thanks in advance,
Tony
If the Y-pipe is not installed correctly you will get fitment issues. This will cause the knocking and thumping on the cross-bar support underneath the pipe. I had the same problem on mines. I just used washers and lowered the cross-bar support. No more knocking when I floor it or when I go over bumps.. I have the Cattman..
Old 03-14-2002, 05:06 AM

Re: Re: Y-Pipe & Reliability

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

If the Y-pipe is not installed correctly you will get fitment issues. This will cause the knocking and thumping on the cross-bar support underneath the pipe. I had the same problem on mines. I just used washers and lowered the cross-bar support. No more knocking when I floor it or when I go over bumps.. I have the Cattman..
How many washer did you use ? cuz I have that same problem, sometimes I hear a knocking underneath the car, how about removing the cross bar ? I'm not shure if the cross bar help the car to be more stiff ?

Cheers

AA
Old 03-14-2002, 05:38 AM

If you're worried about issues with the Cattman, why not wait a bit and try the Warpspeed pipe?
Old 03-14-2002, 06:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipe & Reliability

Originally posted by doublea
How many washer did you use ? cuz I have that same problem, sometimes I hear a knocking underneath the car, how about removing the cross bar ? I'm not shure if the cross bar help the car to be more stiff?
The total distance dropped is 3/8" for me. I used four steel washers to reach this. Seven flat washers would have worked too.

The new bolts are M8, 1.25mm thread, 1.25" length. You have to buy longer bolts after you lower it...found in any metric section of your local hardware store. I put a new flat washer and lock washer between each bolt and the cross-member and the four steel washers between the frame and cross-member.

TIP: Be really careful once you start to not drop a washer into the crossmember (it is hollow). I did it once...couldn't get it out, had to remove the crossmember, dump the washer, and start all over. Big hassle.
Old 03-14-2002, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by djmaxski
If you're worried about issues with the Cattman, why not wait a bit and try the Warpspeed pipe?
The fittment issues are my second concern. I will have the Y-Pipe installed by a muffler shop, so I trust they will be be able to physically alter anything that needs to be altered to get it to fit properly w/o noise, etc. I was more worried about the pipe causing any engine irregularites, which I would think any of the Y-Pipe brands may cause, not just Cattman. Which is a good question...are all Y-Pipes created equal in terms of engine reliability issues? And what the heck is it about a Y-Pipe that would cause an irregular idle, etc.? Less backpressure??

Tony
Old 03-14-2002, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

The fittment issues are my second concern. I will have the Y-Pipe installed by a muffler shop, so I trust they will be be able to physically alter anything that needs to be altered to get it to fit properly w/o noise, etc. I was more worried about the pipe causing any engine irregularites, which I would think any of the Y-Pipe brands may cause, not just Cattman. Which is a good question...are all Y-Pipes created equal in terms of engine reliability issues? And what the heck is it about a Y-Pipe that would cause an irregular idle, etc.? Less backpressure??

Tony
Some people get the CEL light.. Just reset your ECU if you do..