5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help in Troubleshooting Bose Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 10:54 AM
Dover92

Help in Troubleshooting Bose Stereo

Hi. I have a 2K1 Max with the Bose Stereo. Basically, what happened was I took it to the dealer to get a scratch repaired and once I got it back on my way driving home, I noticed the sound of the Bose stereo to be cheap, staticky and the usual subwoofer (bass and rattle) is not heard. I did a check on all speakers and they are all working. The subwoofer was humming but it was very minimal even with the bass setting all the way. I brought it back to the dealer and they told me nothing was wrong with it. I know I've not gone crazy, but I do remember the Bose sound. Anyway to troubleshoot this? Are there separate amps for the Bose? I see one next to the Subwoofer. Is there one for the front and rear? I'm really frustrated at going back to that dealer or another one for that matter (they never fix your problem and always try to sell their service). Also, that same dealer changed my radiator cap to an old cracked one leaving it a quarter open to make it seem like its leaking. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-04-2002, 10:14 PM

I'm having the same phenomenon with my 2002 GLE. My dealer also initially suggested there was nothing wrong, in their opinion, but they would be glad to order another sub (they don't drive a Max so they wouldn't know what the sub sounds like).

I had them listen to another Max customer's sub - they then agreed mine sounds dead in comparison. Still waiting after 1.5 weeks.

I'm suspicious of the cause - loose cables, amp burnout, fuse?

Old 05-04-2002, 10:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well I know this Bose system inside out. Their is one amp that controls all the inside speakers and then the 8" sub has its own amp on the speaker itself.

The hum can be coming from the fact that something is not grounded, like the amps. They basically send a pre-amp signal from the headunit to the amp(s). That wire travels all the way from the headunit to the amp(s). And no they are not shielded like normal high-end RCA cables most of would normally use.

The fact that it is sounded dead, cant help you there, unless somehow the amp is dying.

Dixit