5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2K2 SE Speaker Sizes & Adding Speakers to Stock Bose Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 08:09 PM
2K2MaxDaddy

2K2 SE Speaker Sizes & Adding Speakers to Stock Bose Head Unit

I just had the stereo shop add after market speakers while keeping my stock six CD changer Bose Head Unit. Here are the details. The stock speaker sizes for my 2k2 SE are 6 3/4 in front, 6 in rear, and a 8 1/2 single sub. My measurements may be a bit off, I measured the widest width of each speaker. All the stock speakers were amplified by an outboard Bose amp which I bypassed all together for the new speakers.

I added an Alpine V12 40X4 at 4ohm and Alpine V12 130X1 at 4ohm amps. The amps were mounted under the rear deck, one on the left and one in place of the stock Bose sub. The front speaker are Boston Rally component rc620 6 1/2's, rear are Boston FX 5 inch and sub is a single detachable enclosed JL 10 inch in the trunk. In order to eliminate the engine noise I used high-low converters which also do a line conversion from speaker wire to RCA. The sound improved dramatically from stock speakers and amp. Much better high and lows. However, I noticed the volume control on the Bose really does not kick in sound until about on the 13 scale and sounds quite good and loud at 25. Also, for those who like deafening music the volume really doesn't reach ear piercing levels, but we just wanted a better sounding system then the Bose. I suppose you could go with higher watt amps to reach these levels.

My main point in posting this message is to thank all those who posted similar messages on keeping the stock Bose Head Unit and adding speakers. The posted notes were invaluable!!! Also, I hope my notes can help others who want to take this approach. Keeping the stock Bose Head Unit I keep the steering stereo controls, the cosmetic look of the stock Bose Head Unit and hopefully a lesser chance of theft. There are no exterior modifications to be seen.

Also thanks to the creators of this site who've done a spectacular and professional job!!! I'll be an ongoing supporter.

Old 03-17-2002, 09:00 PM

Re: 2K2 SE Speaker Sizes & Adding Speakers to Stock Bose Head Unit

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2K2MaxDaddy

"I added an Alpine V12 40X4 at 4ohm and Alpine V12 130X1 at 4ohm amps. The amps were mounted under the rear deck, one on the left and one in place of the stock Bose sub."

Was it hard to fit both amps under the deck? Did you have to remove the child-seat restraints (white boxes) or mess with the truck-spings? Seems there is little room.

Do you think you could place the V12 under the deck and replace the Bose sub with real sub but use the same sub mounting?

Any reason you went with the Boxed-sub-in-the-trunk instead of replacing the Bose sub?

I want to replace the bose rattler and other speakers. And I want to put the replacement amp in about the same location as the bose unit. I just worried that this isn't enough room under the deck to pull this off. I don't want to give up valuable trunk room. Any thoughts along these lines are welcome!
Old 03-18-2002, 07:23 AM

Does the stock Bose amp control all factory speakers, or do they have amps built in behind them? I would like to do a simiar thing, but put a new sub in the factory sub location. Need to keep the trunk in this car.

Also, if you are not getting much volume until about 13, try turning the sensitivity up on the amps a bit. That will fix the problem.

Where did you tap in with the RCA converter, behind the radio or in the rear by the amp? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:38 AM
Very sound, Mike

It's also worth noting that 6.5" would fit on the front and rear door speaker locations.
Old 03-18-2002, 08:06 AM

how much did all of that cost you?
Old 03-19-2002, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by AudioMan

Also, if you are not getting much volume until about 13, try turning the sensitivity up on the amps a bit. That will fix the problem.
Also, the Line-to-RCA converters should also have a Level adjustment. That might also help increase the Volume level.

I can't wait to trash my Bose... it sooooo sux...

G
Old 03-19-2002, 08:02 PM
2K2MaxDaddy

Author response

To answer everyone's questions:

Yes two Alpine V12 or same size amps can fit under the rear deck. Maybe even one in place of existing Bose amp. Only removed item was the rear sub, child restraints remain untouched. Rear deck had to be removed to install amps.

Would not replace existing sub with a free air sub will not sound
near as good as a contained sub. You could custom design the sub in the side wall of the trunk where it's recessed but was quoted $300
just for the custom work. My sub box is easily detachable from the speaker wires and can be pulled out if needed. I also glued velcro on the sub box which is carpeted so it sticks to the trunk carpet.

On the 02 at least all factory Bose speakers including the sub run through the factory Bose amp. You'll need to bypass the Bose amp all together. You could use a five channel amp as well as two seperate amps, 4X door speakers and 1X for sub. Five channel amp probably won't fit under the rear deck but you could try.

Cost was quite a bit but didn't want to do myself and wanted done right the first time - $1200 parts and labor. $280 for front Boston components, $110 for rear door Boston speakers, $200 for Alpine 4X amp, $100 for Alpine 1X amp, $100 for 10" JBL sub, $50 for sub box, $50 for wires, $300 for labor. If you did yourself and got deals on the components I bet you could do it for around $750-800.

Old 03-20-2002, 12:54 AM

You guys who complain about how bad Bose sucks should listen to the standard system. It is the most awful sounding thing out there!!!!!!! I'm probably going to replace my speakers in the doors and add a quality four channel amp to it. That should be sufficient. No sub in the trunk for me, can spare the room.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:25 AM
Very sound, Mike

I have the standard (Clarion) system. After changing out the speakers... world of difference.

Sub? No space? Try the basslink

Originally posted by Maximus1000
You guys who complain about how bad Bose sucks should listen to the standard system. It is the most awful sounding thing out there!!!!!!! I'm probably going to replace my speakers in the doors and add a quality four channel amp to it. That should be sufficient. No sub in the trunk for me, can spare the room.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Maximus1000
Hey Maximus1000 did you do this yet? I want to add a small amp to my factory clarion and replace all four speakers with good quality speakers that would fit the doors with no probs. I read the earlier posts about the speakers sizes and crutcfield has a different size. I wanna make sure i buy the correct size speaker . Any help from you or others would be appreciated. Those who add amps to factory clarion please fill me in with some info. thanks..