5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Saving on 2001 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 08:41 AM

A large number of people continue to contact me about buying a Maxima in Canada and bringing it home to the US. I bought in Canada a couple months ago and all went very smoothly.

The posts I've made before have been lost a few pages back so I will summarize again here. It was also suggested to put this on the Group Deals board.

So why to do this? Save some serious money! The exchange rate just keeps getting better for the US. Here's some sample selling prices for Maximas in Canada (converted to US dollars, and including duty):

1) Maxima GXE, auto trans, traction control, and convenience pkg. Convenience pkg contains everything in the Meridian and Com and Con pkgs. $20,800. (US dealer invoice is $22,740)
2) Maxima SE 20th Anniv Ed. Auto trans. Includes traction control, Bose, Meridian pkg, and leather. Does not have the ground effects though. $23,500. (US dealer invoice is $28,006)
3) Maxima GLE. Auto trans. Includes traction control, sunroof, Meridian pkg. $22,700. (US dealer invoice is $25,852)

Here's the answers to the most asked questions:
- Yes, it's perfectly legal as a US resident to buy a new car in Canada.
- Maxima meets all US safety and emissions requirements (California too).
- You will have to pay some Canadian sales taxes, but they send you a refund after you take the vehicle out of the country.
- The warranty is honored in the US.
- It's identical to the US Max, but in Canada they come better equipped with options.
- Speedo is in km and miles; odo is in km. But can be changed if you prefer.
- Yes, I have found some dealers willing to sell over the phone at close to invoice, far below list price.
- Get your financing at home first.

Quick summary of the process:
1. Call dealer and make a deal. Get VIN number.
2. Call Nissan and get US emissions and safety compliance letter (will fax if in a hurry).
3. Go to Canada, pay, drive away.
4. Stop at Canadian customs. Get a form stamped.
5. Stop at US Customs. Show compliance letter. Pay 2.5% duty.
6. Register vehicle and pay your state's sales tax when home just like normal.
7. Get Canadian sales tax refund check in the mail.

I bought in Canada in September and I know of over ten more who have done it or are in the process. It's not difficult at all. Sure, there's a little paperwork to do. Many people are surprised how close to Canada they really are. Anyone from Chicago to D.C. is easily within a one days drive of Toronto. And much of the West Coast is close to Vancouver.

I'll be glad to help anyone out with questions or good contacts. Just email me.
-Jon
jonlofquist@aol.com