5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

In-cabin Microfilter Replacement Comments (long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 09:56 AM

In-cabin Microfilter Replacement Comments (long)

I finally got around to changing the in-cabin microfilter in my 2001 GLE. I have seen a lot of posts regarding the procedure, however, after doing it, I learned some hints that might help others. I thought maybe a quick writeup might help some other first-timers like me. First, the instructions talk about removing the lower dash cover - for the record, my Maxima did not have a lower trim cover (anyone with a 2001 want to comment on this)? What I did next was free both the airbag connector and the glovebox light. The white glovebox light frame is held in place with two tabs - just push them together and push up and the light frame will pop free from the glovebox frame. To free the airbag connector (yellow electrical connector), open the rectangular hinged access in the top of the glovebox (sort of like a toy battery compartment cover) - using needle nose pliers, I squeezed the two black tabbed posts until I was able to push them free of the metal mounting bracket (remember - DO NOT disconnect the yellow connectors from each other. I figured by getting both the airbag connector and light out of the way, I wouldn't have to worry about putting any strain on them if the glovebox dropped out of place after removing the screws. Next, I removed the six (6) screws - two (2) top, two (2) bottom and two (2) latch screws. At this point I expected the glovebox and frame to drop free, however, there are some spring tabs that hold it in place. I started at the left side of the frame (near the center console trim) and pulled gently outward and downward to free the lower mounting tab (all while squeezing the side of the glovebox frame inward to clear the console trim). By starting at the left, I was able to "unhinge" the right side from beneath the passenger door gasket. I didn't realize at first that the glovebox/frame consisted of the entire lower dash on the passenger side from the console trim to the passenger door. With the glovebox/frame out the way, I removed the metal clip from the filter housing door and pushed the door upward to clear the tab on the top. New filters went in the same way the old filters came out. I reversed the above steps to put everything back together. When replacing the glovebox/frame, I started at the right side and "hinged" the edge under the passenger door gasket with the left side low - brought it inward and upward until the clips lined up - then a firm push inward until they snapped into place. I hope this writeup helps some of you that are weary of doing this. Total time for this 1st-time procedure = 30 minutes.
Old 03-26-2002, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the info

I just recieved mine and plan on doing the install real soon.