5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

minimize wind noise in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 01:57 PM
lcf

minimize wind noise in cabin

i love driving my maxima but its gotten me in some trouble. my license is suspended so i find myself shotgun and sometimes even in the back. ive noticed something that i hadnt noticed before sitting in the front. the wind noise in the back is horrible when going interstate speeds.

**** as i am about my car and frustrated as hell, i started pushing on some of the rubber back there thats between the door and the car. apparently its elasticity you could say has worn down. it is after all a 2k.

do any have suggestions on fixing this cabin noise problem?

chris
Old 03-28-2002, 02:06 PM

There is a Nissan TSB for wind noise, check the TSB sticky.
Old 03-28-2002, 02:09 PM
lcf

thx! btw, whats a TSB?

<--- n00bie

Old 03-28-2002, 02:15 PM
lcf

to clarify the question:

what am i supposed to do with the TSB.

do it myself? (i really suck at doing things myself)

are these things covered under warranty?

Old 03-28-2002, 02:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

TSB=Technical Service Bulletin

Nissan issues them whenever there is a problem with one of their cars. I think the way the system is supposed to work is that they send the TSB to the dealers so when somebody comes in complaining about something like wind noise they will know what to do about it.

Problem is most dealers suck. I took a copy of a TSB to my dealer and they looked at it like it was quantam physics or something and said they had no idea what that was or where it came from.

There is probably a link somewhere on the .org where you can print out a copy of the TSB that applies to your problem. Do a search.

Good Luck!

P.S. I also have a 2000 SE with 55K miles on it and I haven't noticed any wind noises.
Old 03-28-2002, 02:24 PM
lcf

Originally posted by suds1
TSB=Technical Service Bulletin

Nissan issues them whenever there is a problem with one of their cars. I think the way the system is supposed to work is that they send the TSB to the dealers so when somebody comes in complaining about something like wind noise they will know what to do about it.

Problem is most dealers suck. I took a copy of a TSB to my dealer and they looked at it like it was quantam physics or something and said they had no idea what that was or where it came from.

There is probably a link somewhere on the .org where you can print out a copy of the TSB that applies to your problem. Do a search.

Good Luck!

P.S. I also have a 2000 SE with 55K miles on it and I haven't noticed any wind noises.
argh, the nissan dealer here at school sucks. god, maybe i'll just wait. thanks for the info suds1. nice car! looks eerily like mine!

heres a link to a TSB concering this issue. i guess i'll try this thing out tomorrow to see if its the right problem. if it is, hm, i dont know if im able to start stripping things off my car or not. haha, it would pain me to do so. regardless, i posted this link so anyone else who sees this thread and has the same problem will be quickly directed to the appropriate place.

http://www.atalla.net/maxima/WindNoiseTSB.pdf
Old 03-28-2002, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by lcf
argh, the nissan dealer here at school sucks. god, maybe i'll just wait. thanks for the info suds1. nice car! looks eerily like mine!

heres a link to a TSB concering this issue. i guess i'll try this thing out tomorrow to see if its the right problem. if it is, hm, i dont know if im able to start stripping things off my car or not. haha, it would pain me to do so. regardless, i posted this link so anyone else who sees this thread and has the same problem will be quickly directed to the appropriate place.

do u guys drive in total silence? i always have the music blasting... to loud to hear any wind noise, haha..
Old 03-28-2002, 09:06 PM

I took my '02 to the dealer last month to get the wind noise fixed. They said they test drove other models and they all had the noise. What dopes. The fix in the TSB is what I was thinking would fix the problem now I'll do it. Thanks.

Originally posted by lcf

Old 03-28-2002, 09:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wind noise

I followed the directions of the TSB on this one. I found some foam tape and decided that it would be simpler if I just did it myself. After I put in tape car is much more quiet.
Old 03-29-2002, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by lcf
to clarify the question:

what am i supposed to do with the TSB.

do it myself? (i really suck at doing things myself)

are these things covered under warranty?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....threadid=29351
go here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and read till yer eyes bleed.
Old 03-29-2002, 04:04 PM

Its takes about 45 minutes to get it done. Its definately worth it. I had to wait over a month to get the new seals in..they were on backorder
Old 03-29-2002, 04:05 PM
lcf

Originally posted by maximaman14
Its takes about 45 minutes to get it done. Its definately worth it. I had to wait over a month to get the new seals in..they were on backorder
so you had it done at a dealership? how much did it cost?
Old 03-29-2002, 06:26 PM

FREE - Look at the TSB - As long as your car is under warrenty you are covered.