5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replacing Instrument Cluster backlighting

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 01:58 AM

Replacing Instrument Cluster backlighting

I was wondering, how do you go about removing the instrument cluster in a 01 AE to replace the light bulbs?

I want to replace the OEM light bulbs with some PIAA Xtreme whites (they're probably the wedge 168 style). I have replaced all the other interior bulbs and exterior bulbs with the Xtreme White mini-bulbs and they look SOOOO purty!

Advice welcome, and instructions adored!!
Old 03-29-2002, 05:39 AM

this was in the how to area, just follow steps 1 through 6.
psing23
Installing Chrome Gauge Bezels
How-To Install Chrome Gauge bezels on 2000+ Nissan Maxima

You will need a phillips screw driver for this.

1- Unscrew 2 screws at the top of the dashboard inside where the instrument cluster is.
2- Unscrew the 4 outside under the steering wheel... that will detach the top part of the plastic cover over the steering column. take that off.
3- Pull out the plastic that is around the instrument cluster that is holding in the gauge cluster into the car... when pulling this out you will have to disconect the wires from behind it. pull out the traction control wire (if you have it) and the other 2 wires on the left side ( i dont remember what they are... i think the dim switch and the mirror adjustment)
4- This will expose 3 screws to remove the actual cluster from the car. 1 on top in the middle, 1 on the bottom left corner, 1 on the bottom right corner. Unscrew these 3 screws
5- pull out the cluster. there are also 2 wires to disconect from the back of this. just pull them out the same way you did with the other ones. once they are disconected just pull the whole cluster out.
6- the clear plastic cover is attached to the cluster with maybe 10 little snaps all around the whole thing... they work on pressure... when you see them you will right away know how to un snap them... just go all the way around and unsnap each of them.
7- once everything is unsnapped just pull the clear plastic off and now your instrument cluster is exposed. stick the guage bezels on each of the gauges. press down firmly and make sure that they stick good... push down all the way around so there are no little cracks that light can pass through between... just run your finger all around a bunch of times applying pressure. also you dont want these things to fly off while you are driving.
8- put the plastic back on and work in reverse order by attaching all the wires and putting the screws back and everything and thats it.
9- sit and admire it and say cool that looks pretty good
Old 03-29-2002, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by Dario
this was in the how to area, just follow steps 1 through 6.
Thanks!! You da man!!

Hey, you wouldn't happen to know exactly what type of bulbs are in there would you? I'm just guessing they're 168's, but I'm not sure. That's a lot of stuff to do just to find out what bulb it is, then have to turn around and put it all back in just to place the order for the bulbs and have to go through that same nutroll again to actually replace them. Did that make any sense? ha ha Need more coffee!

Once again, thanks!
Old 03-29-2002, 06:02 AM

Originally posted by GI_Gene

Thanks!! You da man!!

Hey, you wouldn't happen to know exactly what type of bulbs are in there would you? I'm just guessing they're 168's, but I'm not sure. That's a lot of stuff to do just to find out what bulb it is, then have to turn around and put it all back in just to place the order for the bulbs and have to go through that same nutroll again to actually replace them. Did that make any sense? ha ha Need more coffee!

Once again, thanks!

Do some searching. I think it was about a month or two ago that someone was talking about doing this, but they ran into some trouble with the bulbs ... I just can't remember what it was.

Anyway ... just search under instrument cluster or something to that effect and you should find it ...
Old 03-29-2002, 08:20 AM

here is a link to my website showing the actual bulbs when i swapped out gauge clusters

the bulbs are real small but it has some writing on it A14V1.4W
their are about 14 of these. these are the ones with the brown covers on them. and the ones with the black covers say A14V3W and their are about 6 of these. you will see what i am talking about

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...ft/79/id22.htm

sorry but the pics suck
Old 03-29-2002, 08:34 AM

Thanks, that's quite helpful! Those bulbs look about the same ODD size as the one in my sunroof's front interior light. I'd leave all the "idiot lights" OEM, just changing the ones that light up the numbers and dash marks on the fuel, speedometer, tachometer, and temp gauge.

Once again, thanks for you great help and info! Nice ride by the way.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:38 AM

hey no prob bro good luck, if you ever find out the size let me know so i can experiment on the GXE cluster
Old 03-29-2002, 08:40 AM

I tried to replace that odd sunroof light bulb with an xtreme white. I read on the board that an 1156 would squeeze in , but no luck. Anyone know the size of the bulb and if there is an aftermarket replacement?
Old 03-29-2002, 08:48 AM

Speaking of Xtreme whites, has anyone ever been pulled over for having these very bright white headlights? I'm just curious, as they are not DOT (Department of Transportation) approved.

About 2 years ago cops here in the D.C. area (mainly in Virginia) would pull you over. It helps that many newer cars are coming from the factory with the HIDs, so it helps us wanna-be's out quite a bit!
Old 03-29-2002, 08:55 AM

i got pulled over once because he thought i had brights on, but let me go when i showed him my real brights. he was cool about it
Old 03-29-2002, 09:04 AM

No trouble here with being pulled over. They don't have that ricey blue therefore cops don't usually don't give it a 2nd look.