5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Raced a 2002 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 09:02 AM

see5, glad to see another C5 owner on the site. BTW, I just picked up a new 2K2 SE about a week ago and it came with a couple of flaws. First, the steering wheel was off center. Dealer was able to correct about 90% of it by an alignment. The second flaw (again cosmetic) is that the factory put the MAXIMA emblem on the rear slanted to the left (it's only a little over a quarter inch difference from the "M" until the last "A") and it looks like the guy putting on the emblem on the trunk probably had a little too much SAKI the night before. I'm waiting for the dealer to get a new emblem in so that it can be replaced. I was looking at your pics and I noticed that your MAXIMA emblem is also a bit canted to the left. Am I correct?
Thanks, Mark
(p.s. great homepage!)
Old 04-08-2002, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Mark S.
see5, glad to see another C5 owner on the site. BTW, I just picked up a new 2K2 SE about a week ago and it came with a couple of flaws. First, the steering wheel was off center. Dealer was able to correct about 90% of it by an alignment. The second flaw (again cosmetic) is that the factory put the MAXIMA emblem on the rear slanted to the left (it's only a little over a quarter inch difference from the "M" until the last "A") and it looks like the guy putting on the emblem on the trunk probably had a little too much SAKI the night before. I'm waiting for the dealer to get a new emblem in so that it can be replaced. I was looking at your pics and I noticed that your MAXIMA emblem is also a bit canted to the left. Am I correct?
Thanks, Mark
(p.s. great homepage!)
Mark,
I had to go out to the garage and check cause I had not noticed. Yes, it looks a bit left canted but I do not think as much as a 1/4".
I noticed that they are individual letters and are adhesive backed. I think I will let it go.
I have had Nissans and Datsuns since 1969 510 and this new Max is great. No problems except what I find to be quite a bit of torque steer under hard acelleration. (6sp with HLSD) particularly on bumpy roads. I found yesterday that the tires were @45lbs. from the dealer. Anxious to drive it today and find out if 34lbs helps.
Took the Vette out of storage on Sat. WEEEHA- so I have not driven the Max to see if it is improved.
Enjoy the ride,
Bruce
Enjoy the ride
Old 04-08-2002, 10:26 AM

Bruce, thanks for checking yours out. At first I thought that they all came from the factory canted slightly to the left, but when I went back to the dealer I noticed that only 2 out of 15 new Maximas had their emblems canted to the left, the rest were perfectly aligned to the bottom edge of the trunk. Maybe it's a robot that puts them on and the robot was out of whack that day (ha ha). The dealer is supposed to replace my emblem as soon as the new one comes in. I would rather do it myself (I hate taking cars to the dealership...and I'm even more **** when it comes to the Vette...like yourself, I'm sure). BTW, I did leave you message on the CovetteForum also. I had the Chevy dealer re-align my exhaust tips (remember they came with factory chrome tips in 2001) because that drove me crazy). Glad to hear that your baby is out of storage. I'm orginally from Connecticut, but I wouldn't be to handle storing a car...but with snow, salt, and sand...I'm sure I would have to do the same thing.

So far, I'm enjoying the Maxima...only have about 350 miles on her as of today and I'm going to break her in nice and easy. First import ever and despite some exeterior cosmetic stuff the interior fit and finish is perfect.
I'll catch you on both the Corvette and Maxima forums! Mark