5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Curb scores KO on my AE body kit...please advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 01:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Curb scores KO on my AE body kit...please advise

Sometimes I admit that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Last night my AE kit had a small fight with a curb and got KO'd. The front left of the kit (near the fog light) has a four inch long crack. There is also a four inch crack on the underside of the piece, but it is not visible. I will try to fix it myself, but I think I have to replace it.

Questions:

1) The front of the kit appears to be three individual pieces, one wrapping around each corner and a center piece. Is this correct? If so can I just replace the one corner?

2) I only see one screw on each side (underneath the kit), near the front wheel. How do I remove the piece to try to fix it (fill and paint)? Are more screws hidden somewhere else?

3) Does anyone know what the ballpark replacement price might be? I will try to call Dave B for quotes tomorrow, but I was hoping for some numbers tonight.

Any input from those of you who have installed/replaced/removed the kit is greatly appreciated!!!
Old 03-31-2002, 03:00 PM

oooh man, that really sucx, feel sorry for you...to bad i don't have an ae, so i can't help u....
Old 03-31-2002, 03:06 PM
ThisMax2NV

Re: Curb scores KO on my AE body kit...please advise

Originally posted by MS 2K1 AE

Last night my AE kit had a small fight with a curb and got KO'd. The front left of the kit (near the fog light) has a four inch long crack. There is also a four inch crack on the underside of the piece, but it is not visible. I will try to fix it myself, but I think I have to replace it.

Questions:

1) The front of the kit appears to be three individual pieces, one wrapping around each corner and a center piece. Is this correct? If so can I just replace the one corner?

2) I only see one screw on each side (underneath the kit), near the front wheel. How do I remove the piece to try to fix it (fill and paint)? Are more screws hidden somewhere else?

3) Does anyone know what the ballpark replacement price might be? I will try to call Dave B for quotes tomorrow, but I was hoping for some numbers tonight.

Any input from those of you who have installed/replaced/removed the kit is greatly appreciated!!!
Me too same place but cant seem to find any cracks but I heard one big *** crackling sound. I do have some scratches but no dent. Did your front bumper get pushed down too? I dont know if mine did but thats how I feel. Maybe Im jus x-aggerating?

Old 03-31-2002, 05:18 PM

Re: Curb scores KO on my AE body kit...please advise

I'll double-check in the A.M, the replacement part for the front comes with the center and the two corner pieces. I think it is about $335.00 and is unpainted.
Regards,
David Burnette, Town North Nissan

Questions:

Old 03-31-2002, 06:08 PM

Re: Re: Curb scores KO on my AE body kit...please advise

Originally posted by DAVEB
I'll double-check in the A.M, the replacement part for the front comes with the center and the two corner pieces. I think it is about $335.00 and is unpainted.
Regards,
David Burnette, Town North Nissan

Dave - thanks for the info, although it isn't the news I wanted. I'm traveling all day tomorrow, but will try to call in the morning.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:20 PM
jjs

Did we ever see an answer...

to how to remove the pieces? Any adhesive, etc involved?
Old 05-02-2002, 03:36 PM

Re: Did we ever see an answer...

Originally posted by jjs
to how to remove the pieces? Any adhesive, etc involved?
I was able to locate all the screws to remove the corner section but the entire lip is held on by adhesive. So I put the screws back on and after seeing the price I decided to do a quick repair. You can hardly see the crack unless you are right on top of it.

I wish you could just buy one corner of the lip rather than all three pieces. I'll replace the entire lip before I go to sell the car.

If you want to know where the screw are located, let me know. You have to remove (or work around) the lining in the wheel well to get to some. Others you have to access from the air dam in the from bumper.

I can take pics if you need me to.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:38 PM

Re: Re: Did we ever see an answer...

I was able to locate all the screws to remove the corner section but the entire lip is held on by adhesive. So I put the screws back on and after seeing the price I decided to do a quick repair. You can hardly see the crack unless you are right on top of it.

I wish you could just buy one corner of the lip rather than all three pieces. I'll replace the entire lip before I go to sell the car.

If you want to know where the screw are located, let me know. You have to remove (or work around) the lining in the wheel well to get to some. Others you have to access from the air dam in the from bumper.

I can take pics if you need me to.
Maybe this is a sign to get another kit and BLOW UP!
Old 05-07-2002, 10:37 AM
jjs

How on earth...

do you get the adhesive off? I have a crushed corner of my bumper, but my body pieces are fine...I want to make sure this is done correctly by the body shop and may even try it myself to see what it takes...

I have also been thinking about removing the kit for a month or two to get funds for the bumper replacement have a stock bumper installed and then install the pieces myself...
Old 05-07-2002, 11:09 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

This is definitely a sign for me NOT to order the kit I was about to......I can already see what will happen if I do...... Thanks for the heads up on these things.