5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Berk Tuning Intake Installed / Instructions . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 01:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Berk Tuning Intake Installed / Instructions . . .

My mechanic installed my Berk Tuning Intake this morning. So far, so good.

Unfortunately, my Berk Tuning Intake did not come with instructions. While the installation is pretty straightforward, there are some things you need to know, particularly regarding the O-ring that goes into the end of the MAF tube where it connects to the stock airbox. I took a set of Stillen Intake instructions with me when I went to my mechanic's shop and I'm glad I did.

If you want a copy of the Stillen Intake instructions, you can find them at:

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Gar...0High-Flow.htm

The 5th Gen instructions are at the bottom of the page. I'd suggest you look them over CAREFULLY before you install the Berk Tuning Intake.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:31 PM

How’s the power compared w/ OSCAI? Any gains on the butt dyno?
Old 04-01-2002, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Adboy
How’s the power compared w/ OSCAI? Any gains on the butt dyno?
It's too early to tell yet, Adboy. But my car definitely SOUNDS meaner.

If Berk Tuning runs another special at $60.00, I'd definitely recommend getting one of their intakes. After all, it would cost you that much to purchase a K&N drop-in air filter and the components needed to construct the OSCAI. And the gains are at least comparable between the OSCAI and the Berk Tuning Intake.

At $60.00, the Berk Tuning Intake gets my current vote for "Best Bang-for-the-Buck Mod for the Maxima". Let's hope Bryan runs another special real soon.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:39 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by y2kse

It's too early to tell yet, Adboy. But my car definitely SOUNDS meaner.

If Berk Tuning runs another special at $60.00, I'd definitely recommend getting one of their intakes. After all, it would cost you that much to purchase a K&N drop-in air filter and the components needed to construct the OSCAI.
Does it whistle...? I purchased a competitors and at idle it whistles like a turbo on boost but I am standing still....lol.

Although cant comment on low end change (some tests run with varied results), but tests run before and after at higher speeds (personal run tests on the highway) show a slight increase in RPM sweepage and seems a tad quicker. But what are you really going to notice on a 3.0 NA car?
Old 04-01-2002, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Colonel

Does it whistle...? I purchased a competitors and at idle it whistles like a turbo on boost but I am standing still....lol.

Although cant comment on low end change (some tests run with varied results), but tests run before and after at higher speeds (personal run tests on the highway) show a slight increase in RPM sweepage and seems a tad quicker. But what are you really going to notice on a 3.0 NA car?
My Berk Tuning Intake doesn't whistle at idle, Colonel. But it does whistle slightly at about 1/4 throttle. And so far, I'd agree with your assessment regarding its performance.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:46 PM

I just put mine in too, the sound is killer! I don't think its any faster though, maybe even slower. I had a 4" oscia running from a scoop in the bottom of the car and I think that with the drop in K&n provided more go over 50 mph. My top end also seemed to go down.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by beemreatr
I just put mine in too, the sound is killer! I don't think its any faster though, maybe even slower. I had a 4" oscia running from a scoop in the bottom of the car and I think that with the drop in K&n provided more go over 50 mph. My top end also seemed to go down.
The ECU needs a little time to adjust to the increased air flow. You may get more of an increase in performance over the next week or two.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:54 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by beemreatr
I just put mine in too, the sound is killer...
Yeah I punched mine on the highway Easter Sunday and my wife looks over at me and states "alright...what did you change now.."

I just gave her an innocent look....she didn't buy it.... he he he.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:57 PM

Yeah I punched mine on the highway Easter Sunday and my wife looks over at me and states "alright...what did you change now.."

Add to that the nice hiss you get from a Y-pipe, and it sounds like you're being sucked into a vacuum cleaner.

Old 04-01-2002, 02:13 PM

Speaking of surprising the wife!

FUNNY! You should have seen the look my wife gave me when I punched my 89 Mustang GT after installing a Kenne Bell Supercharger without her knowing! She looked like she had just seen a ghost! It's a little harder to justify $2500 compared to $60 for the Berk!!

--Ray
Old 04-01-2002, 02:35 PM

Re: Speaking of surprising the wife!

Originally posted by raynist

FUNNY! You should have seen the look my wife gave me when I punched my 89 Mustang GT after installing a Kenne Bell Supercharger without her knowing! She looked like she had just seen a ghost! It's a little harder to justify $2500 compared to $60 for the Berk!!

--Ray
It's a little hard to justify ANYTHING compared to $60 for a Berk!! But then I've heard that a mid-pipe adds some additional hp by increasing airflow velocity and decreasing turbulence. Frankencar makes a fairly compelling argument for that based on emax's results. I sure would like to see another set of results to verify that, though.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:01 PM

Yeah, the fact that they (FC) promised one and it never materialized sounds fishy to me. I remember the had the before dyno and the day picked out and everything for RU4Real to dyno his 2K1, and the only thing we heard was "that dyno place didn’t know what they were doing." Which usually means, "We didn’t like the results."

I’ve brought it up several times in several places and the only answer I get from Steve is "soon." But, I guess he’s selling intakes without the Dyno proof he promised, so more power to him.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:16 PM
Very sound, Mike

What are you talking about? Steve, Emax and a couple more was able to dyno the FC intake and it's as clear as black and white what the gains are.

Additionally, the intake (with the midsection) has been selling for several months now.

Are we talking about something else here?

Yeah, the fact that they (FC) promised one and it never materialized sounds fishy to me. I remember the had the before dyno and the day picked out and everything for RU4Real to dyno his 2K1, and the only thing we heard was "that dyno place didn’t know what they were doing." Which usually means, "We didn’t like the results."

I’ve brought it up several times in several places and the only answer I get from Steve is "soon." But, I guess he’s selling intakes without the Dyno proof he promised, so more power to him.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, I tried the PRCAI and modified it to included the accordion section and I felt absolutely no difference. I seriously doubt the accordion section has any negative effect as long as it's not curved too much. Its' diameter is significantly larger than the diameter of the opening on the throttle body so there is room to curve it some and still have a straight airflow path with minimal interference from the wall of the accordion section.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by soundmike
What are you talking about? Steve, Emax and a couple more was able to dyno the FC intake and it's as clear as black and white what the gains are.

Additionally, the intake (with the midsection) has been selling for several months now.

Are we talking about something else here?

Adboy's talking about the FC intake for the 2000-2001 ...the FC on a 2002 is dyno proven (seen with my own eyes ) ..but some are still waiting for the dyno numbers on the VQ30DE in the 2000-2001

that's my guess as to what adboy is trying to say

cheers
Old 04-01-2002, 03:44 PM

I suppose the fairest test of all would be to dyno a cone intake without the mid-pipe, then install the mid-pipe, then install THE SAME CONE INTAKE, and then dyno the combo. The idea, of course, would be to reduce the number of variables down to one . . . the mid-pipe. Of course, Frankencar could run this test themselves on a 2K or 2K1. I wonder why they haven't done so yet?
Old 04-02-2002, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by y2kse
I suppose the fairest test of all would be to dyno a cone intake without the mid-pipe, then install the mid-pipe, then install THE SAME CONE INTAKE, and then dyno the combo. The idea, of course, would be to reduce the number of variables down to one . . . the mid-pipe. Of course, Frankencar could run this test themselves on a 2K or 2K1. I wonder why they haven't done so yet?
It appears as if Steve doesn't want to answer my question. Perhaps he thinks it's rhetorical or perhaps he simply isn't auditing this thread. I think I'll create a new thread and ask him again.

In the meantime, I took my car out on the freeway last night and tested the Berk Tuning Intake. Once again, I echo Colonel's earlier remarks. My Maxima seems to have about the same amount of low end torque as it had with the OSCAI and the top end is slightly stronger. I should also add that the Berk Tuning Intake is MUCH quieter than my previous Stillen Intake. (For those who may remember, I returned my Stillen Intake thinking that it was responsible for a detonation problem I was experiencing. In fact, the intake had nothing to do with it. Leaky ignition coils were to blame.)