5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

anyone have trouble starting their maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 07:25 PM
lcf

anyone have trouble starting their maxima?

sometiems my maxima takes longer than it should for the engine to turn on. like 2 seconds longer than normal. this happen to anyone else? it happens maybe 1 out of 10 starts.
Old 04-09-2002, 07:56 PM

Re: anyone have trouble starting their maxima?

Originally posted by lcf
sometiems my maxima takes longer than it should for the engine to turn on. like 2 seconds longer than normal. this happen to anyone else? it happens maybe 1 out of 10 starts.
When my car is cold and i go to start it up, i get this wierd noise like the engine or something is straining, it annoys the crap out of me... do you get something like that?
Old 04-09-2002, 07:58 PM
lcf

Re: Re: anyone have trouble starting their maxima?

Originally posted by nissanmaximas

When my car is cold and i go to start it up, i get this wierd noise like the engine or something is straining, it annoys the crap out of me... do you get something like that?
yes i think its exactly that!

usually in the mornings!
Old 04-09-2002, 08:40 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Just a cold engine guys...nothing to worry about. It happens with a lot of cars. Mine stalls out every once in a great while when it's cold.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:50 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

its fuel related...

and happens after a short trip where the car was not fully warmed (15 mins or more) before shutting off AND then has sat for over an hour or more..

happens to most of use more often than we'd like. The dealers suggestion was to drag the starter more Looks like I'll need a new battery and starter sooner than I had hoped..
Old 04-09-2002, 09:30 PM
lcf

Re: its fuel related...

Originally posted by TimW
and happens after a short trip where the car was not fully warmed (15 mins or more) before shutting off AND then has sat for over an hour or more..
since im a college student and i live 5 minutes from school i do this everyday!!
Old 04-09-2002, 10:03 PM

hmmmm..

there is no sure method.. but you could try letting the car idle for a minute after parking (while you get your stuff together), that way you wont shut off and leave the car really rich. Also, you can try to hold the key in the ON position for more than 5 secs before hitting start. This works for a few. (the theory is the fuel system will pressurize). if it works, you'll find you will naturally do it out of habit and its no longer a pain after a few days (like multiple starts can be)
Old 04-10-2002, 06:12 AM
lcf

Re: hmmmm..

there is no sure method.. but you could try letting the car idle for a minute after parking (while you get your stuff together), that way you wont shut off and leave the car really rich. Also, you can try to hold the key in the ON position for more than 5 secs before hitting start. This works for a few. (the theory is the fuel system will pressurize). if it works, you'll find you will naturally do it out of habit and its no longer a pain after a few days (like multiple starts can be)
i'll try that! thanks for the advice!
Old 04-10-2002, 07:51 AM

Thanks Tim, ill try that and let you know if that worked for me
Old 04-10-2002, 09:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

HEHE thats exactly what I do beat me to the punch. GOOD JOB!!!
Old 04-10-2002, 10:20 AM
The Definitive AE Master

I had the same problem, the engine just cranked a lot when I tried to start it. I took it back to the dealer, they tested it and said that it was a bad battery and replaced it under warranty. The old battery used to be a white looking one that said "Nissan" on it. It is now replaced by another brand.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:51 AM

good advice.

- Trunksu
Mod List: What's a Mod?
Old 04-10-2002, 11:11 AM

me too

I had this problem since the first week of ownership. It's now been over a year and I still get it about once every three weeks. Used to be much worse, like once every three days. I have grown used to it. In the first six months to correct the problem I had the battery, fuel pump, and crank shaft sensors replaced under warranty. All to no avail. The only thing I could nail down about any pattern is that it usually happens on a "lukewarm" start. Not first thing in the morning, only happens in afternoon and evening after the engine has not cooled completely from previous use.

Also of note, sometimes when it happens the engine will crank a few times and will not start until I let go of the key, that is it turns back one notch. Go figure.

Maybe someone should forward a link of this page to Nissan.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:05 PM

from edmunds

"#631 of 646 Starting Problem by dklanecky Mar 30, 2002 (02:38 pm)
I have a 00SE that had a similar type of issue when I first started driving it in November 1999.
My service manager made a suggestion that I have followed since and haven't had the problem re-occur.
He said that the chip in the key has to "have a second or so to be recognized by the security system". He said simply put the key in the ignition, pause for a second before turning the key to start the car.
I have 85,100 miles on this car now and as I said, the issue has dissappeared. Matter of fact I had forgotten about it until I read your post.
It might work for you as well?"

I just read this at Edmunds' Town Hall: Nissan Maxima Problems. Thought I should bring it up here and to Nissan Customer Care. It is Amazing that there is so much discussion on the Web from so many Maxima owners and Nissan does nothing about it. I just talked to one of their plastic service reps and they just play dumb and promise to let me know if any TSBs come up.

ATTENTION LAWYERS!! A class action lawsuit is in order. And lucky for you many of these max owners are easily reachable. Get on it!
Old 04-11-2002, 12:40 PM

that could be some peeps probs, but...

my pathfinder key is identical, sometimes I accidently jam it in there.. Realizing this, I'll swap over to the max key. This have never caused a starting problem.. Due to the fact that its usually related to the length of the trip and when the car does catch, it acts like it was flooded, I'm still thinking leaky injectors.

Of course, if there is no pattern like this on your starting problems, then by all means, try this delay before cranking. In fact, waiting a few secs in the ON position before starting would address the immobilizer or fuel pressure. its a win-win I guess