5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Weekly y-pipe questions...FLEX SECTION FAILURE...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 02:01 PM

Weekly y-pipe questions...FLEX SECTION FAILURE...

Ok, I want to get a y-pipe, but I’ve been reading about this flex section failure sh*t. I wanted to get the Cattman pipe, because I don’t want the notorious Stillen hiss…but now I’m thinking Stillen is the way to go. I don’t want to have power loss and warranty hell after spending $400 plus install.

From what I understand, the Stillen pipe hisses because it doesn’t have the same sh*tty flex section as the Cattman. So basically you get the hiss instead of power loss and flex failure. If this is true, I’ll take the hiss please...Am I correct? (I need to do more research)

So, I have a few questions...How loud is the stillen hiss? Are the gains the same? (I drive a 2k gle with a high flow intake, by the way). Any input will be much appreciated. I finally have the $$$ and I'm getting my car fixed (unrelated problem--haven't had an adrenaline fix in a month), so I'm just itching to order a y-pipe.
Thanks,
Daniel
Old 04-12-2002, 03:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Weekly y-pipe questions...FLEX SECTION FAILURE...

Originally posted by Dan4614
Ok, I want to get a y-pipe, but I’ve been reading about this flex section failure sh*t. I wanted to get the Cattman pipe, because I don’t want the notorious Stillen hiss…but now I’m thinking Stillen is the way to go. I don’t want to have power loss and warranty hell after spending $400 plus install.

From what I understand, the Stillen pipe hisses because it doesn’t have the same sh*tty flex section as the Cattman. So basically you get the hiss instead of power loss and flex failure. If this is true, I’ll take the hiss please...Am I correct? (I need to do more research)

So, I have a few questions...How loud is the stillen hiss? Are the gains the same? (I drive a 2k gle with a high flow intake, by the way). Any input will be much appreciated. I finally have the $$$ and I'm getting my car fixed (unrelated problem--haven't had an adrenaline fix in a month), so I'm just itching to order a y-pipe.
Thanks,
Daniel
I haven't heard of a Stillen flex section failing, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. According to WarpSpeed, ANY Y-pipe could have a flex issue.

If you're concerned about the Cattman pipe, I'd e-mail Brian and ask him what's up. Hopefully by this time he's come up with a solution for the flex issue. Brian's e-mail address is cattmanperformance@earthlink.net.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:17 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Weekly y-pipe questions...FLEX SECTION FAILURE...

Originally posted by y2kse

I haven't heard of a Stillen flex section failing, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. According to WarpSpeed, ANY Y-pipe could have a flex issue.

If you're concerned about the Cattman pipe, I'd e-mail Brian and ask him what's up. Hopefully by this time he's come up with a solution for the flex issue. Brian's e-mail address is cattmanperformance@earthlink.net.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=108030
Old 04-12-2002, 05:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Weekly y-pipe questions...FLEX SECTION FAILURE...

Yes, I read that thread a while ago. Here's what Brian Catts says about the warranty policy:

“I don't include the return address because we like to pre-authorize all returns, make sure owner identification is included, etc.

What I'd prefer to do is have the customer follow this routine if they've found a flex liner problem with their pipe:

1. contact me at cattmanperformance@earthlink.net, describe the problem ("doesn't seem to have enough power and I'm sure its the flex", is not what I'm looking for -- this process begins at the point where the customer can visibly confirm that the flex lining has come loose and is restricting the opening), and either confirm and invoice number or provide enough information for me to look it up. Until the magnitude of the issue becomes apparent, I am only repairing pipes that are within the one-year warranty period.
2. I will send the authorized names over to Lorie at my ordering service, and advise the customer to contact her so that a call tag can be arranged (we pay the freight both directions).
3. In the meantime, I'll be looking for a good replacement flex section.
4. Call tag pickup, repair in Tucson, return to customer.

Yes, I know installation costs will be incurred, and no, I cannot cover any expenses beyond shipment and repair of the defective flex sections. And, all of this said, we still reserve the right to inspect for the cause of the damage and to refuse warranty coverage if the problem is due to non-warranty related causes.”

This is what bothers me. I have know idea where he is, no address, no phone #, nothing. And he can make you send it in, which he will pay for, BUT he wont pay for the cost of taking the stock and aftermarket pipes off and putting them on twice. Plus, you are sh*t out of luck for however long it takes him (which is completely up to him and you have no control).

I at least want an address and phone number before I throw down that much money. If I buy a stillen pipe and it breaks, and they give me problems, I can drive to stillen and march right in to the office and kick some a*s. If I buy cattman and it breaks, all I can do is hope that Catts e-mails me back.
Old 04-12-2002, 06:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Weekly y-pipe questions...FLEX SECTION FAILURE...

This is what bothers me. I have know idea where he is, no address, no phone #, nothing.
Cattman Ventures LLC
526 E. 16th Street
Tucson, AZ 85701
800-795-1513

Now that you have what you're looking for, it won't do you or anyone else any good. Why is that? Because no one at that address or telephone number can authorize you to return your Y-pipe for repairs. Before someone can send in their Y-pipe, THEY HAVE TO GET BRIAN'S AUTHORIZATION IN ADVANCE. And the only way to do that is to send him an e-mail per his very explicit instructions. Capiche?
Old 04-12-2002, 06:30 PM

why dont you go with warpspeed if they come out with their 5th generation ypipes. Do you guys know difference TIG welded and MIG?
Old 04-12-2002, 06:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Weekly y-pipe questions...FLEX SECTION FAILURE...

Cattman Ventures LLC
526 E. 16th Street
Tucson, AZ 85701
800-795-1513

Now that you have what you're looking for, it won't do you or anyone else any good. Why is that? Because no one at that address or telephone number can authorize you to return your Y-pipe for repairs. Before someone can send in their Y-pipe, THEY HAVE TO GET BRIAN'S AUTHORIZATION IN ADVANCE. And the only way to do that is to send him an e-mail per his very explicit instructions. Capiche?
Ah, Tucson, I hadn't been able to find an address, thanks, and I see what youre saying. I have absolutely no problem with cattman. I really wanted to get the cattman pipe, but I don't have the time or the money to be shipping and taking things off and on etc... The only reason I posted is because I am really torn between the two products. I'm just wondering how bad the hiss is, what people think of the two pipes, what have been peoples experiences with the products and manufactures, and so on. Thats all.
Old 04-12-2002, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by MaDxKiLLa
why dont you go with warpspeed if they come out with their 5th generation ypipes. Do you guys know difference TIG welded and MIG?
I don't know a whole lot about warpspeed y-pipes, I'll have to look into that. And no I don't know the difference.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:56 PM

I don't know a whole lot about warpspeed y-pipes, I'll have to look into that. And no I don't know the difference.
Man, you should see the double flex section this company uses for their Y-Pipe(for Cefiro 3.0L). Check my photo for pics. Too bad they are in Taiwan, but I am sure if they know about this kind of things that have been going on in the States, they wouldn't mind doing some internaltional business.

BTW, I am going back in May, I will definitely go check it out.

It goes the same for coil-overs. I can have one for less than a $1000 U.S...very tempting.
Old 04-12-2002, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by MaxTuner

Man, you should see the double flex section this company uses for their Y-Pipe(for Cefiro 3.0L). Check my photo for pics. Too bad they are in Taiwan, but I am sure if they know about this kind of things that have been going on in the States, they wouldn't mind doing some internaltional business.

BTW, I am going back in May, I will definitely go check it out.

It goes the same for coil-overs. I can have one for less than a $1000 U.S...very tempting.
The dual flex section is definitely nice. I wonder if it would be worth it to modify a Cattman Y-pipe to incorporate the additional flex section . . .
Old 04-12-2002, 11:14 PM

The dual flex section is definitely nice. I wonder if it would be worth it to modify a Cattman Y-pipe to incorporate the additional flex section . . .
Do you think I should email Cattman about this product, so he might consider redesigning his Y-Pipes???

I think I am just gonna do it for fun..
Old 06-12-2002, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by MaDxKiLLa
Do you guys know difference TIG welded and MIG?
http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/weld.htm
Old 06-12-2002, 06:34 PM

Re: Re: Weekly y-pipe questions...FLEX SECTION FAILURE...

See my post I have put out there. Better yet look at the pics of a Stillen product..

www.clyatt.com/maxima
Theirs is as bad as all others but the problem with Stillen is they know its bad but will not fix it..Premium price for product and they are afraid to stand behind the products they sell...Hmmm
Old 06-12-2002, 07:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: Weekly y-pipe questions...FLEX SECTION FAILURE...

Originally posted by RClyatt
See my post I have put out there. Better yet look at the pics of a Stillen product..

www.clyatt.com/maxima
Theirs is as bad as all others but the problem with Stillen is they know its bad but will not fix it..Premium price for product and they are afraid to stand behind the products they sell...Hmmm
You're the first person to report a collapsed flex section in a Stillen Y-pipe. But if it can happen to yours, it can happen to anyone's.