5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I think I'm going to cry, AE pedal driving me nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 03:41 AM

I think I'm going to cry, AE pedal driving me nuts!

I have searched, and searched, and searched.

I have pryed and pryed and pryed.

I have twisted, bent, forced, pulled, pushed, bent.

And for the life of me, I can't get this FU**ING PEDAL OFF!

Someone save me from this madness.

Someone save me from the pain.

My hands are wrought with blisters

My eyes are teared and stained

Two hours for the brake and clutch

And two more spend in vain

If only for a picture a diagram or two

Then perhaps this damn accelerator

Will unhinge before I do!
Old 04-13-2002, 03:43 AM

Frustration is the mother of Poetry
Old 04-13-2002, 04:50 AM

Bro i'm having the same problem. I also posted about the damn gas pedal and somehow getting that blasted throttle wire off...if you find out the problem please let me know cause its driving me crazy!
Old 04-13-2002, 09:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Alright guys, here's the answer you are looking for. I just installed mine the other day and had the same problem. You can unhook the throttle wire (under the hood) and you will have enough slack to pull the wire out so you can see what you are doing to hook up the new pedal.

In order to unhook the wire rotate the throttle (like it does when you press the gas).

You will see the thing attached to the end of the wire that holds it to the throttle assembly. It's kinda hard to get to. Don't worry when you unhook it, the wire will go back into the sleeve but the thing on the end of it will keep it from being sucked all the way into the sleeve.

When done, put it back on.

As for the brake pedal, use a small screwdriver to slower pry the edges of the new pedal over the base of the pedal.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:18 AM

While the two nuts are still attached, you should be able to simply squeeze or press the little plastic throttle wire piece from the back of the accelerator with your index and middle fingertips. Should pop right out, then remove the screws and install the new one in the reverse order of steps. Nuts first, then throttle wire.

If you're trying to remove the AE brake/clutch pedal covers, good luck. They're not flexible like the stock rubber one was on my 2000. It came right off. Gettin the AE covers on was a bit more difficult, so I trimmed some of the excess rubber off of the back of the piece before installation. Used a razor to cut some of the rubber from the sides and rounded the edges a bit, so I only had to get the top and bottom rubber lips over the pedal. Hope this helps. Peace.

If you're not planning on re-using the AE pedals that you're trying to take off, just take a razor to the rubber on the sides or back. It'll be shredded, but who cares, right?
Old 04-13-2002, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by Pillager
While the two nuts are still attached, you should be able to simply squeeze or press the little plastic throttle wire piece from the back of the accelerator with your index and middle fingertips. Should pop right out, then remove the screws and install the new one in the reverse order of steps. Nuts first, then throttle wire.

If you're trying to remove the AE brake/clutch pedal covers, good luck. They're not flexible like the stock rubber one was on my 2000. It came right off. Gettin the AE covers on was a bit more difficult, so I trimmed some of the excess rubber off of the back of the piece before installation. Used a razor to cut some of the rubber from the sides and rounded the edges a bit, so I only had to get the top and bottom rubber lips over the pedal. Hope this helps. Peace.

If you're not planning on re-using the AE pedals that you're trying to take off, just take a razor to the rubber on the sides or back. It'll be shredded, but who cares, right?
Thanks for the response, but there's just one problem... I DONT HAVE A THROTTLE WIRE! hehe. Um.. really though do I have to remove the entire pedal assembly? cause I don't think the AE one would fit anyway considering I have electronic throttle and all. Besides, all I have is the AE accelerator pedal cover, not the entire arm.

Basically what I need to know is, how exactly does the pedal cover (accelerator) come off. And if anyone has done this swap on a 2k2, plz chime in.

Thanks guys, sorry for the rant and posts but I cannot for the life of me figure this one off.

BTW: I got the brake and clutch pedals on by cutting slits in the bottom corners of each pedal, then I proceeded to pry pry pry and cry cry cry....
Old 04-13-2002, 08:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The pedal was only removed on mine, not the whole mechanism. There is a small clip on the back where it attaches to the bar. Unclip it with a small screwdriver. Wrap the bar where the new pedal meets with some electric tape. Look at how the AE pedal is attached to the whole mechanism for visual guidence. Anyhoo- it worked for me.
Old 04-13-2002, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

Thanks for the response, but there's just one problem... I DONT HAVE A THROTTLE WIRE! hehe. Um.. really though do I have to remove the entire pedal assembly? cause I don't think the AE one would fit anyway considering I have electronic throttle and all. Besides, all I have is the AE accelerator pedal cover, not the entire arm.

Sorry, I didn't notice that you have a 2k2. The pedal just unclips and slides off. I started to do that on mine, but there is a metal plate welded on the original pedal arm on mine that will not allow the AE pedal to fit. Therefore the whole assembly had to be replaced. Don't know if the 2k2 has that plate or not.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:22 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys.. wish I could find my digital camera so I could be more specific. I'm going to look for a 'clip' on the top back of the stock accelerator pedal, wish me luck. Tried prying at it yesterday just scratched up a bunch of plastic.. Hope I finally get it..

ROUND 2 FIGHT!!
Old 04-14-2002, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
Thanks for all the responses guys.. wish I could find my digital camera so I could be more specific. I'm going to look for a 'clip' on the top back of the stock accelerator pedal, wish me luck. Tried prying at it yesterday just scratched up a bunch of plastic.. Hope I finally get it..

ROUND 2 FIGHT!!
Ok, the damn clip finally came off, I mangled it pretty bad. Now I need suggestions on how to put the new pedal cover back onto the pedal arm. The metal one seems slightly different, I think the arm on the 2k2's is slightly more slender. When I slide it on I have a lot of play, and nothing to clip on to secure it. I'm thinking about cutting the clip off of the rubber pedal and using it in conjunction with some electrical tape... Any suggestions?