5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I "might" buy an '02 Max today

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 12:43 AM

I "might" buy an '02 Max today

Here is what I want: Sterling Mist SE Auto / Frost Cloth / Bose / Sunroof / Floor Mats / Front and rear mud guards. Retail-$28,185. Invoice-$25,308.

If I can get $3,000 more than payoff for my 2K Max and if they will go $500 below invoice on the 2k2 I will buy.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I "might" buy an '02 Max today

Originally posted by warrlocked
Here is what I want: Sterling Mist SE Auto / Frost Cloth / Bose / Sunroof / Floor Mats / Front and rear mud guards. Retail-$28,185. Invoice-$25,308.

If I can get $3,000 more than payoff for my 2K Max and if they will go $500 below invoice on the 2k2 I will buy.

I say go for it, but I gotta ask. Why dont you want the 6spd???
I got a 2k auto and I wish I woulda got a manual.

If your gonna spend close to 28k have you thought about waitin for the 350 or the g35??
Old 04-19-2002, 02:28 AM

Re: Re: I "might" buy an '02 Max today

Originally posted by ChillWill2000

I say go for it, but I gotta ask. Why dont you want the 6spd???
I got a 2k auto and I wish I woulda got a manual.

If your gonna spend close to 28k have you thought about waitin for the 350 or the g35??
Manual transmissions have terrible resale. That is why dealerships very rarely have them on their lots...they are hard to sell. (I haven't even seen a 6-speed yet.) And I have heard that the 6 speeds have a vague/notchy shifter, and I have seen worse posts about clutch problems too.

I am not going to spend anywhere close to 28K. Invoice is 25,308 and they have to go $500 below that and allow me $3,000 over what I owe on my 2K or I won't buy! I plan on only financing around $21,500.

First, they have to find the EXACT car that I want.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: I "might" buy an '02 Max today

Manual transmissions have terrible resale. That is why dealerships very rarely have them on their lots...they are hard to sell. (I haven't even seen a 6-speed yet.) And I have heard that the 6 speeds have a vague/notchy shifter, and I have seen worse posts about clutch problems too.

I am not going to spend anywhere close to 28K. Invoice is 25,308 and they have to go $500 below that and allow me $3,000 over what I owe on my 2K or I won't buy! I plan on only financing around $21,500.

I got the 6 speed, never looked back.

Seriously though, is resale value really THAT important to you? I mean, you're trading in a 2000 maxima for one barely two years older. Obviously you're not too concerned with the resale. Cars are rarely if ever an investment, the idea is to get as much as you can out of it while you own it.

The six-speed on my car works fine, it just takes some breaking in, and getting used to. I say unless you're going to gain something truly signifigant in this next car, ie.. a color you had to have, a different transmission type etc... You should stick with your 2000 maxima and just mod it. Hell, buy HID's. the two cars are not THAT different in auto trim.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:03 AM

I agree, if i were trading in my 2k auto it would be for a 2k 6 speed. However this isn't going to happen because we have a new rule in my house. We can't upgrade our cars until we've paid off the ones we already have. And man it can be a tough rule!
Old 04-19-2002, 06:29 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2002, 07:16 AM
jjs

Actually I believe the reason they are not on dealer lots is that people who have manual Max's tend to hang onto them...at least I know I will and other members have mentioned the difficulty (albeit a couple months ago) of finding 5-speed used ones...
Old 04-19-2002, 08:19 AM
Very sound, Mike

Manual transmission equipped Maxima's are hard to find not because of resale values and whatnot, but rather due to the high demand for it from the enthusiast crowd.

The dealership close to me only has 2 at this moment, none of which are HLSD equipped and they're not getting any more of this - anticipating the 2002.5 (as i'd rather call it).

If you're so worried about the Manual having problems. Do take note that the Auto has it's own set of downfalls as well. I've noticed a slight slip on my auto from 1-2, and it's most noticeable when it's cold outside.

I've owned manual-tranny equipped cars in the past. Now i own an auto (for convenience and driveability in the household) and honestly, though i love the car and plus+ of having an automatic shifter i miss driving a manual dearly.

Driving an auto-2k2 for some time now, i can definitely feel where the 3spd+OD gearing can limit the performance of an otherwise excellent powertrain.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:27 AM

I'm not sure about the resale value thing...I know they make a lot of Auto because that's what the american publc generally wants. For every 6 spd they make, they make probably 100 autos (GLE, GXE are all autos). I went with the 6spd. It's the best gearbox I've had. Don't worry about trying to sell it, because if you get the 6spd you'll probably have an easier time. Plus you get better gas mileage. (in theory)
Old 04-19-2002, 09:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think it is 15manual/100auto......

Originally posted by DrVolkl
I'm not sure about the resale value thing...I know they make a lot of Auto because that's what the american publc generally wants. For every 6 spd they make, they make probably 100 autos (GLE, GXE are all autos). I went with the 6spd. It's the best gearbox I've had. Don't worry about trying to sell it, because if you get the 6spd you'll probably have an easier time. Plus you get better gas mileage. (in theory)
Old 04-19-2002, 01:00 PM

Don't buy another Nissan Product!

Your better off purchasing a Hyundai. They both have the same resale value and customer service, but you'll pay a hell of alot less. I can't wait to get rid of my Max, but it's hard to get another sucker to purchase it. Nissan screwed me once, but I'll get the last laugh. I'll never recommend a Nissan product to anyone. And word of mouth is stronger than any cheezy commerical.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I "might" buy an '02 Max today

Originally posted by Chinkzilla

Seriously though, is resale value really THAT important to you? I mean, you're trading in a 2000 maxima for one barely two years older. Obviously you're not too concerned with the resale. Cars are rarely if ever an investment, the idea is to get as much as you can out of it while you own it.

The six-speed on my car works fine, it just takes some breaking in, and getting used to. I say unless you're going to gain something truly signifigant in this next car, ie.. a color you had to have, a different transmission type etc... You should stick with your 2000 maxima and just mod it. Hell, buy HID's. the two cars are not THAT different in auto trim.
Oh yes they are that much different, I had on 01 Auto and it is much slower than my 02 Auto. It it hadnt gotten totalled I would still have it and mod it out I agree with you on that aspect although.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:03 PM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Don't buy another Nissan Product!

What happened to your Max?
Old 04-19-2002, 01:04 PM

No way the dealer is going to give you $3K over what you owe on it, unless you owe about $5K less than the NADA Blue Book value (don't rely on what KBB or Edmunds says for value either, dealers use NADA).
Old 04-19-2002, 01:45 PM

Re: Re: Don't buy another Nissan Product!

Originally posted by soundmike
What happened to your Max?
Well lets see. Front Hood chips like crumps from a coffee cake. All 6 ignition coils needed to be replaced @ 40K miles, Got my front rotors replace 3 times, Front headlights got moisture in them and I had to replace them at my cost, leather seats peeled like a bad sunburn (leather yeah right). customer service @ all Nissan dealers SUCKS. They don't give a S**t if you are unhappy. Nissan Corp also don't give a Fu**! So many times I have called and given a report. For what? They didn't help me.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:05 PM

Re: Don't buy another Nissan Product!

Originally posted by thenjman
And word of mouth is stronger than any cheezy commerical.
Even this one?

ftp://www.nissanartwork.com/0103Maxima/NOMT9094.MOV

I love that commercial!
Old 04-19-2002, 02:18 PM

What $$ amount are you getting for your Y2K? and with what options. I am thinking of upgrading. I owe $6,500.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:18 PM

The six-speed on my car works fine, it just takes some breaking in, and getting used to.
I did the MT-90 "mod" and it made my shifting a lot smoother. I have no trouble shifting.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Creature
No way the dealer is going to give you $3K over what you owe on it, unless you owe about $5K less than the NADA Blue Book value (don't rely on what KBB or Edmunds says for value either, dealers use NADA).
NADA says:

Total Average Trade-In: $18,775
for 2k with 30,000 miles
Old 04-19-2002, 07:26 PM

I guess you will drive your 2k Max for a while...
You are hearing extreme cases about the 6 speed. You can also hear these cases with Acura. Just that- extreme. Dealerships are conservative,especially with Nissan and Acura (try and find a TL-type S with 6 speed on the lot readily available with the color you want). It's a 4 Door Sedan! Jesus!
The Max always comes with 4 Doors! A 2k2 6speed Max will be a rare commodity and an Auto an easy product to compete with others on price. You are wrong fellow. In a few years, the next gen buyer will look for this car on the used lot.I will sell mine privately and find a happy buyer. It's really simpl
Old 04-19-2002, 08:12 PM
Maxima06071

In my opinion DON'T.
Why?
Mitshbishi Lancer Evolotion VII.
with it's you'ed keep blowing past the sun and catching the moon!

Old 04-19-2002, 08:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Why not wait for 2K3?

At least wait until the 2003 Maxima comes out so you can see if it's worth considering. By then, the price on the 2K2s will drop a bit more. Of course, resale value on your 2K Maxima will drop as well.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Don't buy another Nissan Product!

Well lets see. Front Hood chips like crumps from a coffee cake. All 6 ignition coils needed to be replaced @ 40K miles, Got my front rotors replace 3 times, Front headlights got moisture in them and I had to replace them at my cost, leather seats peeled like a bad sunburn (leather yeah right). customer service @ all Nissan dealers SUCKS. They don't give a S**t if you are unhappy. Nissan Corp also don't give a Fu**! So many times I have called and given a report. For what? They didn't help me.
Front chips? I dont see many, but yes i have them

6 ignition coils? Damn, what did you do to your car?

Rotors.. no problems here (or maybe i dont know)

Headlights moisture? nope

Leather seats at 12k are perfectly in good condition, only wiped
them, no condition, lotion, ect.

Customerservice.. sucks

You must have bad luck..
Old 04-19-2002, 08:39 PM
Very sound, Mike

2001SilverSeMax, (slightly OT guys)... just checked out your sig. Did you really run 125mph w/o your seatbelts on?

Btw, i can't tell either... what gear were you at? None of the gear reminder lights seems to be on.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:48 PM
Maxima06071

Originally posted by soundmike
2001SilverSeMax, (slightly OT guys)... just checked out your sig. Did you really run 125mph w/o your seatbelts on?

Btw, i can't tell either... what gear were you at? None of the gear reminder lights seems to be on.
yikes better call "the caught ya not really going 125mph in your sig" police.

Old 04-19-2002, 09:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Don't buy another Nissan Product!

My biggest complaint to date is m defective Bose cd player. Guess you got us all beat. Had my rotors turned once and no problems ever since. Oh well, my guess is you got a lemon. Sorry to hear about that.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I "might" buy an '02 Max today

Deal did not go through. I knew that I wanted a little more than I could get for my 2K Max. But $3,000 over what I owe (which comes out to about what I would get if I sold it myself) is what it would take for me to buy NOW.

I am almost relieved that the deal did not go through...the idea of going another 8K in debt (counting tag, title, tax) isn't very appealing. Again, that is why I wanted to get so much out of my 2K...that is what it would take for me to buy. But as I told them at the dealerships...either way....I am leaving in a Maxima.

I saw another thread started just this week about ploblems with the clutch in a 6 speed. I have never owned a vehicle with a manual, so I would probably go through a clutch quickly. I might sound like an old man here..but I really do not like the idea of paying $24,000+ for a vehicle and having to shift my gears. I know that some people do..but I don't. Period. End of story.

And to answer some people's questions as to "Why would you trade?" The answer: Th 2K2 & 2K3 will be the last of the 'true' Japanese built Maximas. After seeing the hard plastic / poor fit and finish in the Altima, I am very afraid of what kind of a beached whale the Maxima will become in '04. It will by definition be larger than the Altima and that is too big for my taste and probably nearly everyone else on this board.