5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ran into my 3rd gen Supra racing buddy again this morning :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 06:53 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Ran into my 3rd gen Supra racing buddy again this morning :)

Totally different story this time.

Same road, around the same time, same 3rd gen Supra (from what I can see, he still has the GReddy-like exhaust. Don't know what he has under the hood).

Last time we ran, both cars were pretty even when we went well into triple digit speeds. I would inch away slowly, but that Supra hung around nicely. I was running 11 psi without water injection, I believe (284 whp back then). This time, I'm running 11 psi water/methanol injection (haven't dyno'ed, but was at 288 whp with 9 psi water injected)

Today, we have 3 runs. What happened was, I saw him about 5 miles back from the first run. Curious and wondering what the Max can do with the new upgrades, I slowly caught up in traffic. At the point where I passed him up, he saw me, changed lanes, and sped up quickly to catch up to me. He tailed me for a while, which basically tells me he wants to run again. There was a car in front of me so I couldn't do anything, but once that car moved over, both of us hammered it. I pulled pretty good on him, so I thought it wasn't a fair start since he was behind me.

2nd run... traffic opened up again, but this time he was ahead (I changed lanes to let him pass me because we were approaching some cars). He went into WOT first because you can see him start to pull forward, so I followed suit. I started at about 3-4 car lengths back, but by the time we went into low triple digits, I was running up his butt and had to change lanes. Both of us were approaching cars quickly, so we slowed down and I went behind him again.

3rd run... both of us followed a car, but when the guy moved over, him and I started at the same time. He had about a 2 car lead, but I pulled and passed him up near the top of 3rd gear. Since my exit was coming up, I rolled down my window and gave him a thumbs up and I saw he did the same. Surprisingly, he slowed down about 1/2 mile before my exit... guess he knew I was about to leave.

Nice race Supra guy!
Old 04-19-2002, 06:57 AM
lcf

damn, i know everyone sings it, but i want your mods, dood.

Old 04-19-2002, 07:16 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by lcf
damn, i know everyone sings it, but i want your mods, dood.

Trade ya!

Forgot to mention... I have the 2.87" SC pulley instead of the 3.125" pulley I was using back then. This means my boost kicks in earlier and higher if I don't use water/methanol injection.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:19 AM
lcf

id love to mod my car as much as you have, however, since im still in school, i dont make enough part time to pay for whatever potential problems may arise. you know what i mean? i could just go ahead and buy up, but if a situation arose, i'd have to turn to my father and he would slaughter me. i dont want to be a martyr! kakaka.

man, every day i browse this site and read posts and i hold back my clicky finger from buying up everything!

Old 04-19-2002, 07:27 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by lcf
id love to mod my car as much as you have, however, since im still in school, i dont make enough part time to pay for whatever potential problems may arise. you know what i mean? i could just go ahead and buy up, but if a situation arose, i'd have to turn to my father and he would slaughter me. i dont want to be a martyr! kakaka.

man, every day i browse this site and read posts and i hold back my clicky finger from buying up everything!

Definitely don't buy everything all at once. Save up and get a mod every so often, like 3-4 months or so. If you followed this rule, you'll have about 2-3 mods by the end of the year. Simple mods like all the bolt-ons will not cause you any grief. The problem comes when you start reaching for forced induction and/or rice juice.

Modding take time.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:02 AM
lcf

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Definitely don't buy everything all at once. Save up and get a mod every so often, like 3-4 months or so. If you followed this rule, you'll have about 2-3 mods by the end of the year. Simple mods like all the bolt-ons will not cause you any grief. The problem comes when you start reaching for forced induction and/or rice juice.

Modding take time.
word, im going to keep it slow for now. im anxious to see what nismo products will be offered later this year! for now, most likely berkz intake at the end of the month and some more cosmetic stuff.

i consider myself fairly technical (at least with computers and electronics) but ive never gotten into cars (engines, etc.) so its going to be interesting actually getting my elbows dirty from other than detailing it. hehe.

most of all though, i just want my maxima to be FASSSST! faster than it already is and faster than it looks! i really want a sc, but im concerned about the potentially costly maintenance/mechanical problems it might cause since i dont have the time or the resources to deal with them.

Old 04-19-2002, 08:30 AM

Modding take time.
I haven't been buying any performance mods at all cuz I've been saving up to do the big mod FIRST...SC!!!...then all the "simple mods" will follow. I've been waiting (& praying) patiently for a SC GD but that hasn't happened. Everyone recommends AvalonRacing.com but they're not that much cheaper than $tealin themsleves.
Kev, would you have any recommendations on where I can get a decently priced v2 SC? ..and if you don't mind me asking, how long and how much was the install??? Thanks!!!
Old 04-19-2002, 09:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think u have to prep ur auto for the SC....I doubt the stock trans cant handle the power of SC. plus...wouldnt it be better to start with suspension first? a fast car also needs a good handling.

btw, kev...nice race, I assume u r on 280 again.

Originally posted by HulaMAX

I haven't been buying any performance mods at all cuz I've been saving up to do the big mod FIRST...SC!!!...then all the "simple mods" will follow. I've been waiting (& praying) patiently for a SC GD but that hasn't happened. Everyone recommends AvalonRacing.com but they're not that much cheaper than $tealin themsleves.
Kev, would you have any recommendations on where I can get a decently priced v2 SC? ..and if you don't mind me asking, how long and how much was the install??? Thanks!!!
Old 04-19-2002, 10:45 AM
Maxtor

Some of those 3rd gen supras are fast! I've seen a few smoke some 4th gen TTs. For him to be hanging at all with you shows he has a lot more than just an exhaust.

Old 04-19-2002, 11:01 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by lcf
word, im going to keep it slow for now. im anxious to see what nismo products will be offered later this year! for now, most likely berkz intake at the end of the month and some more cosmetic stuff.

i consider myself fairly technical (at least with computers and electronics) but ive never gotten into cars (engines, etc.) so its going to be interesting actually getting my elbows dirty from other than detailing it. hehe.

most of all though, i just want my maxima to be FASSSST! faster than it already is and faster than it looks! i really want a sc, but im concerned about the potentially costly maintenance/mechanical problems it might cause since i dont have the time or the resources to deal with them.

Don't expect too much from Nismo for the Maxima. Yes, the Max should get stuff, but Nismo will probably focus more on the Z, SE-R, and 240. I really hope I'm wrong about this though.

Once you get to the level of power adders, reliability and maintenance plays a big factor. You always have to be prepared for the worse to happen.

And remember this... you're only making enough horsepower when things start breaking.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:05 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Doh! As [maxi-overdose] stated, you should prep the auto tranny before getting the SC. You need to get the valvebody recalibrated and a tranny cooler.

So far, Avalon has the lowest price (that I've seen/heard). Turbo95Max and I installed it over a weekend.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:07 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
btw, kev...nice race, I assume u r on 280 again.

880 (S)... close to 280.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:09 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Maxtor
Some of those 3rd gen supras are fast! I've seen a few smoke some 4th gen TTs. For him to be hanging at all with you shows he has a lot more than just an exhaust.
Yup, he definitely has something done (as discussed in the old thread). Too bad we don't know what.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:37 AM

Doh! As [maxi-overdose] stated, you should prep the auto tranny before getting the SC. You need to get the valvebody recalibrated and a tranny cooler.

So far, Avalon has the lowest price (that I've seen/heard). Turbo95Max and I installed it over a weekend.
Thanks [maxi-overdose] & Kev! I haven't had time to put in the tranny cooler..it's in my room. I'm finding a way to do the VB recalibration without much down time. As far as suspension, I'm still looking for some simple bolt-on coilovers w/o having to mod them and ones that I like.
Kev - RE:install - over the weekend?..how many hours did it take? I'm debating on having it done or me and my mechanic friend do it ourselves?
Old 04-19-2002, 11:47 AM

ha....I was goin 880 north this morning...I should've turned off my music and roll down my window to hear some rocket boost.

880 (S)... close to 280.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:07 PM

Yup, he definitely has something done (as discussed in the old thread). Too bad we don't know what.
Kev,
Just curios, what are you 1/4mile times?
Old 04-19-2002, 12:15 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Thanks [maxi-overdose] & Kev! I haven't had time to put in the tranny cooler..it's in my room. I'm finding a way to do the VB recalibration without much down time. As far as suspension, I'm still looking for some simple bolt-on coilovers w/o having to mod them and ones that I like.
Kev - RE:install - over the weekend?..how many hours did it take? I'm debating on having it done or me and my mechanic friend do it ourselves?
Definitely do tranny first though.

Installation the first time isn't fun since you have to factor in the crappy instructions and the unknown. Anybody with good mechanical skills can do this... but how long will it take? Took us 3 days with messing around here and there (5-8 hours days).
Old 04-19-2002, 12:23 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by [maxi-overdose]
ha....I was goin 880 north this morning...I should've turned off my music and roll down my window to hear some rocket boost.

Were you up at 5:45 AM?
Old 04-19-2002, 12:26 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Bulldawg

Kev,
Just curios, what are you 1/4mile times?
Haven't been to the track yet.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:26 PM

Hey Kev, how do you feel the car with the Methanol/water in comparison with the water alone. My system goes in on Tues. by the way what tank are you using? I bought the one that ActiveAutowerke has in their turbo BMW which is a 1.8 Gallon tank that goes in the trunk and it looks like a battery. Thanks. 11psi I dont think I will be able to go that far with the "rice juice" like you put it.
Old 04-19-2002, 12:52 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by jhans114
Hey Kev, how do you feel the car with the Methanol/water in comparison with the water alone. My system goes in on Tues. by the way what tank are you using? I bought the one that ActiveAutowerke has in their turbo BMW which is a 1.8 Gallon tank that goes in the trunk and it looks like a battery. Thanks. 11psi:wall I dont think I will be able to go that far with the "rice juice" like you put it.:laugh
It seems to work better. No pinging = good sign

I'm using the stock windshield washer reservoir. It's relocated to the other side of the engine bay.

11 psi + rice juice =
Old 04-19-2002, 12:56 PM

11 psi + rice juice = [/B][/QUOTE] Lets hope not
Old 04-19-2002, 01:12 PM

Definitely do tranny first though.

Installation the first time isn't fun since you have to factor in the crappy instructions and the unknown. Anybody with good mechanical skills can do this... but how long will it take? Took us 3 days with messing around here and there (5-8 hours days).
OK, I'll get my **** off the lazy horse and get working on my tranny first. Thanks for all your advice!
BTW, nice race...
Old 04-19-2002, 01:17 PM

ah....5 in the morning, no wonder u could race him. watch out, CHP office is near Brokaw exit.

I was there around 7am.

Were you up at 5:45 AM?
Old 04-19-2002, 02:13 PM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

Old 04-19-2002, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Jane97SE
luv-it! U tell him Jane!
Old 04-19-2002, 03:23 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Jane97SE

Old 04-19-2002, 03:41 PM

is this a racer's quarrel?
Old 04-19-2002, 04:19 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

is this a racer's quarrel?
She's too slow... it won't be a race.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:29 PM
lcf

And remember this... you're only making enough horsepower when things start breaking.
j00 scare me!

Old 04-19-2002, 04:40 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

major props Kev!!
Old 04-20-2002, 05:32 PM

Good shiet Kev! Does everyone wanna be like Kev or what??? Am I jealous... HELL YEAH!!!!
What color is this Supra? What is the guys name? If it is blue, I think I know him.
Old 04-20-2002, 05:56 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Kev is the inspiration for many Maxima owners, especially the automagic guys

Somebody should try to find this guy at Supraforums.com. He's probably there...
Old 04-20-2002, 11:37 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Thanks.

His license plate was something like "ITS ELGN"

No idea what that means.

It was too dark to notice the color... but it could've been silver/grey.