5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Answer Some 2003 Infiniti G35 Questions Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 05:17 PM

Answer Some 2003 Infiniti G35 Questions Please

I'm reading the hype and various opinions on the 2003 Infiniti G35. The car is nice looking. No doubt about that. But, what's the bottom line on this vehicle ? Is it a glorified Altima ? I'm concerned about quality. Are the Maxima / Altima bugs worked out on this vehicle or will some of these same issues crop up with this vehicle ? Doesn't it have the same 3.5L engine ? I own a 2002 Maxima SE with automatic, Premium Bose, side air bags, splash guards and a few other goodies. So I don't enjoy criticizing the quality of the ' 02 Maxima since I own one. But, I gotta tell you. I'm disappointed in the quality of the Maxima and the 3.5L Altima seems to be loaded with ' new car ' problems. Which reminds me, is the rear wheel drive in the G35 going to be a ' new car ' feature or is it established with Nissan ? If I go out and trade my Maxima in on a G35 am I trading for more of the same or is the G35 a true step above in quality, workmanship and customer satisfaction ? BTW, is there an Infiniti discussion forum for the G35 ? Candid input on this subject would be much appreciated as I'm thinking about making a trade. THANKS MUCH.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:31 PM

The one thing to make clear is that the Altima and G35 are two different cars. The only thing thats the same is the engine. I'm not sure why people keep thinking that they are the same. They are even built on different platforms. They really share nothing but the engine. Thats it.

Mike S.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:19 PM

Umm... its probably pretty hard to get a judge of quality considering the time the car has been available. One advantage you will have with Infiniti is the longer warranty and better service. Car and Driver said the material quality was a below the average for its class but its also by far the least expensive so it depends on how you look at it.

In my opinion, its a great car but ive just sat in a couple so what do i know. If i were you id wait till fall and see how other people are with it. Not to mention the Sport Coupe looks a little cooler.

Car and Driver - G35
Old 04-19-2002, 06:23 PM
Very sound, Mike

Hmm. Interesting to note that. I can't recall where i read it but the Altima platform can be easily modified to handle an AWD or RWD set-up. That could be the reason people say that the G35 shares the same platform as the Alt.

In any case, the G35 is a good car but given it's in the first year of production do expect some bugs. More than it'll ever have a few years down the line.

In a way you're lucky to have the 2k2 Max. Sure it may be the last set to be produced but at least you know that the majority of the 2+ dozen TSB's in the first couple of years of production have already been ironed out.

Just stick with your Max for now. Enjoy what you have, once the market settles then go out and look again.

Btw, i'm curiuos. What problems are you having with your max?

Originally posted by Mike S.
The one thing to make clear is that the Altima and G35 are two different cars. The only thing thats the same is the engine. I'm not sure why people keep thinking that they are the same. They are even built on different platforms. They really share nothing but the engine. Thats it.

Mike S.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:40 PM

I'm not sure why people would think the Altima could be adapted to RWD. Possibly AWD, but the engine would still be horizantaly mounted; like the Murano

The G35 is on the Front-Midship platform which is what the 350Z, Skyline, etc
Old 04-19-2002, 08:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by soundmike

Btw, i'm curiuos. What problems are you having with your max?

Left rear ABS sensor failed : the factory rep was present when the sensor was replaced with an ' improved ' sensor. He told us that the failure rate was high on the left rear with a lesser failure rate on the right rear. Failures were primarily cropping up on the east coast and mine was one of the few west coast failures thus far. He expected the left rear failure to reach recall status but I've heard or read nothing about that since.

Oil leak from valve cover gasket / sealant : repaired twice. Currently no more oil leak but the dipstick area is still dirty.But I realize that the dirty appearance this time may be due to auxillary fan blow off not engine oil residue.

Oil residue on the A/C compressor : Original cause - valve cover leak. Since then ???? The on-going oil mystery. The A/C works fine.

Cold start ( timing chain ) clank : Nissan tells me that this will PROBABLY not damage the engine but they don't know for sure and some individuals have received compensation. Hmmm ?. As one Nissan individual put it " This is a new engine so we are still in a learning curve ". I'd prefer that they learn at someone elses expense! ALL Nissan & Infiniti 3.5L V6 engines make this cold start clank. It's a design defect. So, unless it's been fixed the new 350ZX and G35's will make the same noise. Those owners that claim not to hear it don't know when or where to listen. I very rarely hear it from the driver's seat. You need to stand near the front by the grill at cold start.

Premium Bose CD player : skipping big time. Replacement on order.

ALL OF THIS IN LESS THAN 3 MONTHS.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:37 PM
Very sound, Mike

Ouch! Doesn't sound too good. So far my problems have been:

1) Rattle on door panel (driver side)
2) Slight slip from 1-2 (auto tranny)
3) Chain clunk as you described. (even noticeable in 80deg. weather)
4) Right-side pull on highway runs (It managed to go away after adding the FSTB)

I've only checked under the hood to see if i got that same valve cover leak but so far so good. (Car is 7months/7kmiles old)

As for the ABS sensor, is there a way i can check for that w/o going to the dealership?
Old 04-19-2002, 08:43 PM

Just a comment on the chain....

Any car with chain driven dual overhead cam is gonna make that noise when is cold and theres no oil on it... thats the disadvantage of the chain...

every nissan with the VQ engine ive ever been in makes that noise... i drove an altima at the dealership that didnt, but i dont think it was a cold start. Most other cars on the market use timing belts

At least you dont have to worry about replacing timing belts
Old 04-19-2002, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by soundmike

3) Chain clunk as you described. (even noticeable in 80deg. weather)

I've only checked under the hood to see if i got that same valve cover leak but so far so good. (Car is 7months/7kmiles old)

As for the ABS sensor, is there a way i can check for that w/o going to the dealership? [/B]

RE : Chain clunk : correct it's unpredictable. I can usually hear it after the car has been sitting for an hour or more then started no matter how cold or warm the temperature is. There has also been instances where on a very cold morning I heard only a light clank when I expected to hear a loud clank !

RE : valve cover leak. Use a small dental mirror to view the lower edge below gasket level. Check along that lower edge on both sides of the dipstick.

RE : ABS sensor : The ABS light went on one day and flickered on and off a few times thereafter. I took it to the dealer and they plugged in the diagnostic machine which identified the left rear sensor failure. My impression is that most Maximas built in ~ Feb. and beyond probably have the improved ABS sensors.
Old 04-20-2002, 05:56 AM

my ABS light comes on and stays on every now and then (it's happened about 4 or 5 times)
Old 04-20-2002, 06:29 AM

Originally posted by mattattax
my ABS light comes on and stays on every now and then (it's happened about 4 or 5 times)
Back in Feb. when my left rear ABS sensor failure occurred someone from this board e-mailed me and stated that he had multiple warning lights go on and that the dealer determined that a defective left rear ABS sensor triggered the whole thing. At least 3 lights maybe 4 went on. As I recall traction control and slip were 2 of them.
Old 04-20-2002, 09:10 AM
EZ
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You also have to remember that the G35 is an Infiniti model. Infiniti has always had a better reliability rating than most of Nissan's line. Infiniti probably has the second best reliability of all car manufacturers (Lexus is first) so the G35 will probably have great reliability. If you're that worried, maybe wait for all the production bugs to be worked out.