5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Attn: Berk Tuning & Frankencar

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 08:19 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by cobymoby

Sorry that I'm not poking around on this board every hour to respond.

Anyhow, rude comments aside, what that thread says is basically by removing the factory air box will be sufficent enough to allow the manifold pressure to have a zero vacume meaning that the intake is sufficiently "filling" the engine with enough air. Although this test is a clever one it doesn't do anything to tell us what the vacume was (or wasn't) on the way to redline. The engine may be able to peak out at redline but what if your engine is gasping for air along the way? The test also doesn't show if the engine was under load during the test. Was the guy just reving it or did he drive it and see the pressure at zero?

Nevertheless it does provide some insightfull information.
good points also bryan, i'd bet that is was done parked and not moving at which point that car does not suck as much air, as many of you can tell by reving you car in neutral it doesn't sound as mean as it does when you are moving because it's not sucking as much air. and once again, other factors play into the hp side of the intake like smoothness and intake velocity.

-steve
Old 04-24-2002, 10:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Great post Jeff

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

if you want me and bryan can pack up and leave and not try to expand maxima aftermarket . . .
Now don't go and throw a tantrum, Steve. You know we all love you around here.

Old 04-24-2002, 11:07 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I too apreciate Steve and his input at the ORG.... Oh by the way Steve, Hurry it up with my intake ! Im racing in May ! . iwant to BRAG about my Frankencar, the powdercoated Red one !!!!
Old 04-25-2002, 09:54 AM
Very sound, Mike

Larry discusses this more over here. He also goes to the extent of saying: "My results do indicate there is hp gains with an aftermarket intake or by removing the factory cool air box. But isn't the latter easier?".
Old 04-25-2002, 11:43 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

good points also bryan, i'd bet that is was done parked and not moving at which point that car does not suck as much air, as many of you can tell by reving you car in neutral it doesn't sound as mean as it does when you are moving because it's not sucking as much air. and once again, other factors play into the hp side of the intake like smoothness and intake velocity.

-steve
From Larry

I ran it at full throttle in gear. The vacuum maxed out just before the shifts. I only read the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. There was zero vacuum at lower rpm. I am not sure exactly where vacuum started building but somewhere above 5000 rpm approximately. I would have to be able to look at the vacuum gauge, tachometer and road ahead to get more readings. Need two buddies to ride with me. One for vacuum gauge, one tachometer and me the road ahead. Below 5000 rpm I don't think the factory intake is a restriction on my car.

Larry
Old 04-26-2002, 06:34 AM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

From Larry

I ran it at full throttle in gear. The vacuum maxed out just before the shifts. I only read the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. There was zero vacuum at lower rpm. I am not sure exactly where vacuum started building but somewhere above 5000 rpm approximately. I would have to be able to look at the vacuum gauge, tachometer and road ahead to get more readings. Need two buddies to ride with me. One for vacuum gauge, one tachometer and me the road ahead. Below 5000 rpm I don't think the factory intake is a restriction on my car.

Larry
Thanks for the clarification, Kev.
Old 04-26-2002, 06:43 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

From Larry

I have modified my cool air intake to see if my vacuum lowers. The following pics show how I have cut out the center pillar and added a small pillar of my own made from hard wood dowel. As you can see, I contoured the leading and trailer edges to allow better flow.

http://www.fbody.com/members/LarryS/intakeI.JPG
http://www.fbody.com/members/LarryS/IntakeII.JPG

My initial tests indicate I have improved flow. On the 1-2 shift I got just flicker on the gauge, maybe 1/4" of Mercury, on the 2-3 zero. Previously I got about 1/2" on both. I can't explain the 1-2 flutter although I believe my transmission shifts lightly higher on the 1-2. If this is the case then perhaps my modification is marginal but improved. I am reasonably sure that with a good flowing exhaust system I will have mountains of vacuum to rid.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:02 AM

So I guess we're back to Steve's point, Kev. Is vacuum the only important measure of an intake's performance? If so, how would Larry explain dyno runs that indicate substantial horsepower increases for aftermarket intakes, all other factors being equal?

Old 04-26-2002, 07:18 AM
Very sound, Mike

Larry never disagreed that there's HP gained w/ an aftermarket intake (see my previous post). He's saying that one can achieve it just by modifying the airbox.

Originally posted by y2kse
So I guess we're back to Steve's point, Kev. Is vacuum the only important measure of an intake's performance? If so, how would Larry explain dyno runs that indicate substantial horsepower increases for aftermarket intakes, all other factors being equal?

Old 04-26-2002, 07:23 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Turbulence/flow should play a factor. Have you ever tried emptying a two liter bottle of water upside down? If you leave the bottle upside down, water would slowly blurp out while air goes in. If you give the bottle a little whirl counterclockwise/clockwise, water comes out at a MUCH faster rate.

Airflow intot the throttle body is probably not as extreme as my example, but you sort of get my point, right?

Most of these aftermarket intakes provide better flow than just unhooking the stock intake box.

This is my theory.....
Old 04-26-2002, 07:27 AM
Very sound, Mike

Based on your Theory... would you agree that the Tornado Air Intake would work on cars?

If you give the bottle a little whirl counterclockwise/clockwise, water comes out at a MUCH faster rate.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:04 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by soundmike
Based on your Theory... would you agree that the Tornado Air Intake would work on cars?

But that causes a lot of turbulence.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:05 AM

I wonder if it could work in conjunction with an aftermarket intake like the Frankencar? It seems sound in theory however I am very skeptical of "infomercial" products.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:11 AM
Very sound, Mike

but what about the tornado effect? makes coke go down faster... why not air?

ok. just playing with ya.

But that causes a lot of turbulence.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:15 AM

Larry never disagreed that there's HP gained w/ an aftermarket intake (see my previous post). He's saying that one can achieve it just by modifying the airbox.

Right. Got it!
Old 04-26-2002, 08:15 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

but what about the tornado effect? makes coke go down faster... why not air? :-D

ok. just playing with ya.

Hahaha! I know you're playing.

They have the right idea, but the product doesn't work as planned.
Old 04-26-2002, 08:20 AM

Turbulence/flow should play a factor. Have you ever tried emptying a two liter bottle of water upside down? If you leave the bottle upside down, water would slowly blurp out while air goes in. If you give the bottle a little whirl counterclockwise/clockwise, water comes out at a MUCH faster rate.

Airflow intot the throttle body is probably not as extreme as my example, but you sort of get my point, right?

Most of these aftermarket intakes provide better flow than just unhooking the stock intake box.

This is my theory.....
OK. Let's play with your theory for just a minute, Kev.

If turbulence exists at the point where the meter is measuring vacuum, wouldn't it tend to affect the meter's readings? I'd expect there to be some variance, perhaps intermittent, as the measurements are taken. But I haven't heard that any such variance exists. Perhaps that's because the meter isn't sensitive enough to detect the variances. But if the meter isn't sensitive enough to notice the difference (assuming it exists), is the engine sensitive enough to react to it?

And no, remykins. The Tornado Air Intake is worse than useless! Do a search if you'd like to learn more about it. It's right up there . . . or should I say, down there . . . with the Electric Supercharger (http://www.electricsupercharger.com/).
Old 04-26-2002, 08:45 AM

OK read my response in the general forum.

-Lemming Watch is ON~!

Old 04-26-2002, 08:46 AM

If turbulence exists at the point where the meter is measuring vacuum, wouldn't it tend to affect the meter's readings? I'd expect there to be some variance, perhaps intermittent, as the measurements are taken. But I haven't heard that any such variance exists. Perhaps that's because the meter isn't sensitive enough to detect the variances. But if the meter isn't sensitive enough to notice the difference (assuming it exists), is the engine sensitive enough to react to it?

And no, remykins. The Tornado Air Intake is worse than useless! Do a search if you'd like to learn more about it. It's right up there . . . or should I say, down there . . . with the Electric Supercharger (http://www.electricsupercharger.com/).
That has got to be the most retarded invention I have ever seen. Its up there with those coil adaptors that make your spark more intense(which I was stupid enough to buy like 8 years ago)
I would never buy the tornadoair, it just seems like it might have a good theory behind it.
Like the saying goes if it looks too god to be true then it probably is. Ill take proven results from a trusted company any day. So despite all debate I will be ordering my intake as soon as I get the money
Old 04-26-2002, 09:08 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Monkey boy gave wrote an excellent post in the General forum.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:27 AM

Monkey boy gave wrote an excellent post in the General forum.
Thanks. I read it.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:30 AM

I'd like a valid response, from all the LEMMINGS on THE .ORG.

Like Bill said, if I make a comment prove it, I've done it.

Rebutt me.

-I'm sick of this "game."

Old 04-26-2002, 01:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Victor in the General forum has summed the therory up the best!

"does he mean that when the vaccuum is zero, that the engine is getting sufficient air? and when he is getting a reading then that would be that the engine is struggling to get efficient air into the manifold??"
I do like Kevin's water in the bottle theory though. You are actually creating a vacuum in the bottle is the reason the water doesn't flow out freely. The weight of the water creates the vacuum. Call it turbulance if you like but eliminate the turbulance, by putting a hole of correct size in the bottom, and guess what, the water flows freely, increasing the gpm, not cfm in this case. You have reduced the vacuum!
Old 04-26-2002, 03:14 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Finally able to post, eh?
Old 04-26-2002, 03:34 PM

Yea buddy! Thank Kevin...
Old 04-26-2002, 03:40 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Chimp Dj
OK read my response in the general forum.

-Lemming Watch is ON~!

link, i can't find it.

and Kloogy i'm having them made this week.

-steve
Old 04-26-2002, 03:41 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Larry
Yea buddy! Thank Kevin...
Thank Jamie. I assume he fixed your account.
Old 04-26-2002, 03:48 PM

Yeaaaaaaaaa Buddie! Thanks Jamie!
Old 04-27-2002, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Larry
Victor in the General forum has summed the therory up the best!

I do like Kevin's water in the bottle theory though. You are actually creating a vacuum in the bottle is the reason the water doesn't flow out freely. The weight of the water creates the vacuum. Call it turbulance if you like but eliminate the turbulance, by putting a hole of correct size in the bottom, and guess what, the water flows freely, increasing the gpm, not cfm in this case. You have reduced the vacuum!
So gravity is present in a vaccuum created by the water ????

so air being displaced up is sucked up by the water that is flowing down ?

-Its all right there.