5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

something to think about...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 02:22 PM

something to think about...

a while ago i posted about getting the SES light and stuff...i didnt really know what was causing it but i didnt wanna take out my FC intake to take it to the dealers...so i just ignored it for a while until i could find to have it taken out...depending on gas prices, sometimes i go w/ Costco 91 octane, but if gas prices are similar, i go w/ mobil/chevron...gas prices went up a lil more so i filled up w/ costco gas 3 times in a row...after the second fill up, my SES light went away; then after the third costco fill up, i tried chevron and today, after about 150 miles on the tank, the light came back on...so now it seems that theres something about costco's gas...anybody have any ideas? and should i discontinue using costco?
atw
Old 04-30-2002, 03:36 PM

Gas stations/companies buy their gas from the same supplier; it's what the gas stations add to their gas what makes it different. A buddy of mine owns an Exxon station so he knows the skinny on them.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maximawanabee
Gas stations/companies buy their gas from the same supplier; it's what the gas stations add to their gas what makes it different. A buddy of mine owns an Exxon station so he knows the skinny on them.
Help me out here, maximawanabee. Are you saying that each individual gas station adds their own additives to the gasoline they purchase? I thought it was the gas companies that did that.

Old 04-30-2002, 05:13 PM
Got Bent?

The SES light might of went off and it may be totally unrelated to the gas you use. Until you check if there are any stored codes, who knows?
Old 04-30-2002, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
The SES light might of went off and it may be totally unrelated to the gas you use. Until you check if there are any stored codes, who knows?

yea i took that into consideration too, but it was too weird...i had the code pulled the first time the light came on, and it said the my cat was under effic level....
atw
Old 04-30-2002, 05:46 PM
Got Bent?

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g

yea i took that into consideration too, but it was too weird...i had the code pulled the first time the light came on, and it said the my cat was under effic level....
atw

if the cat triggered the light, then maybe the SES light just went off after going through a number of key cycles. I think some codes let the light go away after a bunch of on-off cycles of the car. You have fed-spec maxima?
Old 04-30-2002, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

if the cat triggered the light, then maybe the SES light just went off after going through a number of key cycles. I think some codes let the light go away after a bunch of on-off cycles of the car. You have fed-spec maxima?
im in cali so im guessin its cali-spec
atw