5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

just put AMSOIL in

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 08:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

just put AMSOIL in

Was using Mobil 1 but after seeing the wear comparisons on Amsoil's site I decided to switch. I just put it in yesterday, and regardless of what certain moderators and other peeps say, I CAN feel a difference. The car is a bit peppier off the line, and the motor is quiter AND smoother (I only had about 2300 miles on the Mobil 1). Needless to say I'm sticking with Amsoil from now on!
Old 05-01-2002, 10:49 AM

Did you put in synthetic oil? If so what type of oil did use. I know that Amsoil has many different motor oil "blends" that they sell.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:04 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by 2k2SEmax
Did you put in synthetic oil? If so what type of oil did use. I know that Amsoil has many different motor oil "blends" that they sell.

Uh, Amsoil only has full synthetic oils in their product line. There are no "blends".

One day, I'll feel a difference in my car when using synthetics....one day.....
Old 05-01-2002, 11:09 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by bill99gxe
One day young grass hoppa, one day.... he he he. Now if my shipment would EVER show up. BTW, I got a Amsoil filter...how does that rank....I know well...but amoung the top 5?
Old 05-01-2002, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Colonel

One day young grass hoppa, one day.... he he he. Now if my shipment would EVER show up. BTW, I got a Amsoil filter...how does that rank....I know well...but amoung the top 5?
Depending on who's results you look at, number 1 or 2. However, Mobil 1 is right there with it, even in Amsoil's own "independent" tests......
Old 05-01-2002, 11:28 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Depending on who's results you look at, number 1 or 2. However, Mobil 1 is right there with it, even in Amsoil's own "independent" tests......
Ah... 1 or 2. Who makes amsoils filters? I have been using Mobil 1 fiters since my first oil change am I loosing, gaining, or standing pat going to Amsoil filters? Man so much info just to protect my baby.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:42 AM

From the information, it seems that either Amsoil or the Mobil 1 filter is best to use. Since they appear to be about the same (even according to Amsoil), I guess you could go by which filter has more filter area. I know there's a filter analysis floating around here somewhere, but I'm not sure if it included Amsoil, and it was for a Honda-sized filter anyway, and not the M1-110 that fits our engine.
Old 05-01-2002, 11:45 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by djmaxski
From the information, it seems that either Amsoil or the Mobil 1 filter is best to use. Since they appear to be about the same (even according to Amsoil), I guess you could go by which filter has more filter area. I know there's a filter analysis floating around here somewhere, but I'm not sure if it included Amsoil, and it was for a Honda-sized filter anyway, and not the M1-110 that fits our engine.
Good to hear. I tried searching about the filters but no concise data quickly...(do you know how many threads have been about oil as of late!)
Old 05-01-2002, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by djmaxski
I just use the Nissan OEM filter since it's also very well made and inexpensive at $4 bucks a pop or so (from Dave B). I'm not sure I like the Mobil M1-110 because it doesn't thread as snugly (at least on my car). There seems to be a lot of play when threading it on which would indicate to me that there will be some unfiltered oil seeping through to the motor.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:09 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by sleepermax

I just use the Nissan OEM filter since it's also very well made and inexpensive at $4 bucks a pop or so (from Dave B). I'm not sure I like the Mobil M1-110 because it doesn't thread as snugly (at least on my car). There seems to be a lot of play when threading it on which would indicate to me that there will be some unfiltered oil seeping through to the motor.
Hmmm, might be your car...when I put it on mine I look for side to side play and front to back (screw on a few times and then tug on it for slop) before it is completely sealed against the engine. Could you further describe the slop you have as I might be missing something I should be testing for?
Old 05-01-2002, 12:33 PM

Re: just put AMSOIL in

Was using Mobil 1 but after seeing the wear comparisons on Amsoil's site I decided to switch. I just put it in yesterday, and regardless of what certain moderators and other peeps say, I CAN feel a difference. The car is a bit peppier off the line, and the motor is quiter AND smoother (I only had about 2300 miles on the Mobil 1). Needless to say I'm sticking with Amsoil from now on!
Yeah on slow cars its easier to feel small changes.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:45 PM

Re: Re: just put AMSOIL in

Originally posted by The New CLIMAX

Yeah on slow cars its easier to feel small changes.
well that's true - it's harder to tell a difference on riced out cars
Old 05-01-2002, 12:51 PM

where...

can I buy this AMSOIL stuff? I've never heard of it.
I'm from Sacramento, California...
Old 05-01-2002, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Colonel

Hmmm, might be your car...when I put it on mine I look for side to side play and front to back (screw on a few times and then tug on it for slop) before it is completely sealed against the engine. Could you further describe the slop you have as I might be missing something I should be testing for?
I got both side-to-side and front-to-back movement. Almost as if the diameter of the opening on the filter was a bit too big and barely threaded on to the point of almost juts sliding in, although not thad bad. Could be I just got a defective filter? I've only tried the M1-110 once though.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:57 PM

What I meant to say is "What type of Amsoil oil did you use". Amsoil's product line is very extensive and they have more than one type of synthetic oil available.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:00 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I got both side-to-side and front-to-back movement. Almost as if the diameter of the opening on the filter was a bit too big and barely threaded on to the point of almost juts sliding in, although not thad bad. Could be I just got a defective filter? I've only tried the M1-110 once though.
I suspect possibly the filter. Buy another one plus a OEM and try again. Just a suggestion though.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:07 PM

What I meant to say is "What type of Amsoil oil did you use". Amsoil's product line is very extensive and they have more than one type of synthetic oil available.
Amsoil 5W-30
Old 05-01-2002, 01:50 PM

Odd, I haven't had a M1-110 do this on my VQ.......probably a bad filter. You should have returned it for another to see if you got the same issue....

Baldwin makes Amsoil oil filters. I would say it's a toss up on whether it or Mobil 1 is the "**** retentive absolute" best. Nissan OEM is fine, as well as Bosch, STP, AC Delco, Napa Gold (avoid Napa Silver, Fram, and Wix).

Oil filter studies:

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corve...lterstudy.html
http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corve...ilfilters.html
Old 05-01-2002, 03:06 PM

Odd, I haven't had a M1-110 do this on my VQ.......probably a bad filter. You should have returned it for another to see if you got the same issue....

Baldwin makes Amsoil oil filters. I would say it's a toss up on whether it or Mobil 1 is the "**** retentive absolute" best. Nissan OEM is fine, as well as Bosch, STP, AC Delco, Napa Gold (avoid Napa Silver, Fram, and Wix).

Oil filter studies:

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corve...lterstudy.html
http://www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corve...ilfilters.html

Thanks Bill (the first link is very informative - the next two seem to be down). Wasn't there also a "study" that included the Nissan filter? I know I saw one a while back. The thing I remember most is that although it was physically smaller than the Mobil 1, for example, it still had a pretty significant filtering media area and was very well put together. I'd rather use the Mobil 1 though, I guess I'll give it another shot next time.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nissan OEM is fine, as well as Bosch, STP, AC Delco, Napa Gold (avoid Napa Silver, Fram, and Wix).
I thought Wix was the company that made the Napa Gold filters???
Old 05-01-2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Maximam

I thought Wix was the company that made the Napa Gold filters???
Regular Wix = Napa Silver = not too good.

Wix does make the Napa Gold line, which is apparently manufactured better, thus justifying a recommendation.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:37 PM

THE oil filter review!
Old 05-01-2002, 06:47 PM
RussMaxManiac

Re: where...

Originally posted by koostermax
me, see sig

Old 05-01-2002, 10:33 PM

Re: Re: where...

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac

me, see sig
Some people have sigs turned off
Old 05-02-2002, 12:13 AM

Re: where...

Originally posted by koostermax
I know Tognotti(sp?) in Sacramento carries Amsoil oil and filters.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:53 PM

Uh, Amsoil only has full synthetic oils in their product line. There are no "blends".

Actually, Amsoil does offer a blend, but only in 10W-40. I agree with you that blends are basically a waste of money though.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/pmo.html