5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pacesetter STS fits 5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2002, 02:32 PM

Pacesetter STS fits 5th gen

A friend and I installed a paceseter STS last night that they bought for me for my birthday.

They got it from custommaxima.com and it shipped and got here within a few days. It definately fits on the 5th gen, I know people have been asking about it, but I can't remember if anyone actually posted that it does fit. Anyway, I'm going to have to agree with everyone else that my first thought was "why didn't I do this sooner?!" I LOVE it! I put it on basically the shortest setting. Shifting is much tougher, but hopefully it'll get smoother as it breaks in. I was reluctant to take off the heat shield, but it would have needed to be bent about 2". So after cutting a hole in it, and finding that the hole wasn't big enough, we just left the heat shield off the car. Shifing is much more fun now, my timing is slightly off, but that'll be easy to correct.
I installed mine without taking the cat off of the car, and I found it to actually be pretty straight forward. If anyone would like some easy directions, just ask I pretty much remember how to do it. Ok gotta run! Time to go drive and shift more
Old 05-02-2002, 02:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree, this mod changes the whole driving experience. I still have the heat shield on. I banged a deep groove along the middle so it wont get scraped. I've had it on for at least a month now and it's alot easier to shift. So give it time and it will break in. I remember the first day it took so much effort to shift Now it's smooth like b4 but a much shorter throw.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:46 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Pacesetter STS fits 5th gen

Originally posted by Keh mon
A friend and I installed a paceseter STS last night that they bought for me for my birthday.

They got it from custommaxima.com and it shipped and got here within a few days. It definately fits on the 5th gen, I know people have been asking about it, but I can't remember if anyone actually posted that it does fit. Anyway, I'm going to have to agree with everyone else that my first thought was "why didn't I do this sooner?!" I LOVE it! I put it on basically the shortest setting. Shifting is much tougher, but hopefully it'll get smoother as it breaks in. I was reluctant to take off the heat shield, but it would have needed to be bent about 2". So after cutting a hole in it, and finding that the hole wasn't big enough, we just left the heat shield off the car. Shifing is much more fun now, my timing is slightly off, but that'll be easy to correct.
I installed mine without taking the cat off of the car, and I found it to actually be pretty straight forward. If anyone would like some easy directions, just ask I pretty much remember how to do it. Ok gotta run! Time to go drive and shift more

Why don't people just use WASHERS and longer bolts! That way you can go back to stock.

Doesn't ANYONE think this is a better way?
Old 05-02-2002, 02:51 PM

Re: Re: Pacesetter STS fits 5th gen

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Why don't people just use WASHERS and longer bolts! That way you can go back to stock.

Doesn't ANYONE think this is a better way?
I agree that I think that's definately a better way... just didn't have any bolts or washers around to use, and not much was open at 12am. But I would like to sometime put it back on with washers and longer bolts before the winter.
Old 05-02-2002, 02:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ice is there a particular size bolt/# or washers you used. I've ordered the sts and plan to install soon but don't really know what you mean.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:01 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

!

Originally posted by Max_Gator
Ice is there a particular size bolt/# or washers you used. I've ordered the sts and plan to install soon but don't really know what you mean.

Just take one of the bolts that holds the heat shield off and go to your local Ace or hardware store. Sorry, I wasn's smart enough to write down which bolts I bought. Doooh!

It's simple. The bolts hold the heat shield that goes inbetween the cat and shifter to the body of the car. I just put about 7-washers inbetween the shield and body to "lower" the shield more towards the cat(away from the shifter).

You'll see what I mean.
Old 05-02-2002, 03:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: !

Originally posted by IceY2K1

Just take one of the bolts that holds the heat shield off and go to your local Ace or hardware store. Sorry, I wasn's smart enough to write down which bolts I bought. Doooh!

It's simple. The bolts hold the heat shield that goes inbetween the cat and shifter to the body of the car. I just put about 7-washers inbetween the shield and body to "lower" the shield more towards the cat(away from the shifter).

You'll see what I mean.
Ah, I see. Heat shield bolts. Duh.